Yummy Kitchenware Strainer
Last updated date: October 9, 2019
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top Colander and Strainers and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Colander and Strainer you should buy.
Two layers of tightly woven mesh make this colander perfect for washing small grains. The long handle keeps hot food away from your hands. You can rest the wide hook on your counter or sink to prevent spilling. In our analysis of 78 expert reviews, the Yummy Kitchenware Yummy Kitchenware Strainer placed 2nd when we looked at the top 10 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note October 9, 2019:
Checkout The Best Colander and Strainer for a detailed review of all the top colander and strainers.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
Yummy Kitchenware Fine Mesh Strainer - Premium Quality Every Cook Will Appreciate An excellent strainer is an essential in every good kitchen - home or professional. It’s much more versatile than a simple metal colander with large holes that lets everything from spaghetti to ground meats pass through and down the sink drain. The Yummy Fine Mesh Strainer is practically indispensable - you'll find yourself reaching for it every time you want to rinse vegetables, strain spaghetti, drain ground beef… Go ahead and drain homemade yoghurts and cheeses - nothing passes through the double-mesh but liquids. Heavy Duty Design with Reinforced Rivets and Extra Thick Handle We started with one simple idea: To create the last mesh strainer you'll ever need. We believe we’ve succeeded. You won’t find this kind of quality anywhere else: Extra thickness in the handle so the metal never bends no matter how high you fill the strainer. Premium quality rivets that will never loosen or rust the way cheaper brands will. A double layer of the finest mesh (the kind with the teeny tiniest holes) so none of your food escapes down the drain. The widest, thickest handle on the market so you can easily balance a heavy load on the side of the sink - also a great way to store the strainer by hanging so it’s always at your fingertips. The Universally Useful Strainer You'll Always Reach For Did we mention the wide, thick hook? It gives you amazing balance and control for heavy loads. Use it to hang the strainer up and out of the way between uses. The rounded rim is tight enough to prevent small bits of food from getting caught under the rim the way they do in most other strainers. You'll pull this strainer out almost daily for everything from rinsing beans and berries to washing lettuce and greens and, of course, for straining all that delicious pasta. Yummy Kitchenware is the Small Company with a Huge Passion for High Quality Cookware Just like you, we love great food. Whether cooking in a professional kitchen or at home for your loved ones, you'll appreciate the attention to detail and love that has gone into designing our cookware. Our mission is to make cooking more fun by providing cooks of all abilities the most reliable tools available on the market today. Because you can’t create culinary masterpieces with substandard equipment. We’re a small company and we pride ourselves on our close relationships with our customers. We love hearing from you. Making premium quality available to every home cook is our guiding principle, because everyone deserves to have a little fun in the kitchen. Whether you’re outfitting your first kitchen or replacing older pieces that no longer work for you, we’re sure you’re going to love the quality of our products for decades to come. Now get back in the kitchen and have some fun! Happy Cooking, The Yummy Kitchenware Family
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Colander And Strainers
Your favorite pantry staples, like pasta and rice, cook up quick and add a tasty starch to any dish. But you’ve got to have the right tools to whip up a great bowl of rotini or a side of brown rice. Colanders, sometimes called strainers, are a kitchen essential that don’t get a lot of attention. However, you need a high-quality one to whip up your favorite dishes.
You can pick up a cheap plastic colander at any major retailer or home goods store for a couple of bucks, but it won’t last, and plastic can absorb strong odors over time. A more thoughtful approach to purchasing this kitchen standby will pay off in the long run.
Colanders are perforated bowls that you use to drain or rinse foods like spaghetti, quinoa or chopped veggies. They typically have a long handle or a grip on each side so that you can grab and tilt the colander without burning your hands. The terms “colander” and “strainer” are often used interchangeably, but some people prefer to use “strainer” for cookware with small perforations and “colander” for larger holes.
Some colanders are built with a base or small legs on the bottom. This elevates the strainer so you can rest it in your kitchen sink as it drains, preventing the strained water from building up and seeping back into the bowl. Other colanders have wide hooks so you can rest them on the side of your sink as you strain heavy foods.
Clip-on colanders are also a popular option. They’re usually made of silicone, and they can stretch or retract to fit on almost any pot or pan. Some stainless steel clip-on colanders exist, but they’re not as adjustable as silicone versions. Clip-ons are smaller than standard colanders, so they’re great for small kitchens with limited storage space.
Buying a quality colander or strainer instead of settling for cheaply made ones is a small change that can yield big results. Our Tips & Advice will help you navigate your online shopping.
DWYM Fun Fact
Colanders are far more than vessels for draining your spaghetti. They’re also part of a social movement called Pastafarianism.
Pastafarianism is also called The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and it all started in 2005 with a satirical open letter penned by activist Bobby Henderson. Henderson, a physics graduate, was appalled when the Kansas State Board of Education decided to allow public schools to teach Intelligent Design (a form of Creationism) as an alternative to evolution in science classes.
Henderson demanded that if schools were going to teach Intelligent Design in science classrooms, they should give equal time to teaching kids about The Flying Spaghetti Monster. He invented the creature as a parody god to drive home his point that Intelligent Design wasn’t scientific, and therefore, his imaginary googly-eyed creature deserved equal stage time.
The Spaghetti Monster quickly became an Internet sensation. Henderson’s book, “The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster,” was released in 2006. The parody religion’s core tenets claim that an invisible ball of spaghetti created the universe, and that global warming is caused by a decline in the number of pirates.
Colanders became the recognized headgear of Pastafarianism, and people across the globe still wear them as a political statement.
The Colander And Strainer Buying Guide
- The perfect colander or strainer will be made of dense, rust-proof materials, like stainless steel. Silicone strainers are also a great option. They’re less likely to create a breeding ground for bacteria than other materials. Plastic colanders may crack or absorb odors over time.
- Think about what types of meals you frequently cook. This will determine the size of the holes you’ll need in your strainer. If you make lots of rice or quinoa, look for a strainer with very small holes. Models with double layers of mesh are also helpful; they’ll keep small grains in your strainer while still draining water. If you love thicker pastas like spaghetti, a colander with larger holes will suffice.
- The placement of the handle or grips on your colander is also important. Handles should be long enough to keep your hands safely away from hot water. They also need to be sturdy enough to hold up under the weight of thicker veggies like potatoes. If your colander uses hand grips, make sure they stick out far enough to give you some distance from boiling water. Grips with rubber covers will also keep your palms nice and cool as you cook.
- Do you have a large kitchen, or are you whipping up meals in a small space? Your colander will take up some room in your cabinet, so make sure you have enough room for storage before you buy a large one. Strainer sets will take up more space, while folding silicone colanders can squeeze into small corners. You can also use the colander’s grips or hooks to hang it up, saving yourself tons of cabinet space.
- Properly caring for your strainer will help it last for years. Make sure that yours is dishwasher safe before you pop it in on the hot cycle. Handwashing it with gentle dishwashing liquid and allowing it to air dry is always a safe bet. Using your sink’s sprayer hose on the colander’s basket will help you knock any food particles loose.