Yard Machines 140cc OHV Self Propelled Gas Lawn Mower, 21-Inch
Last updated date: June 5, 2020
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top Self Propelled Lawn Mowers and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Self Propelled Lawn Mower you should buy.
In our analysis of 119 expert reviews, the Yard Machines Yard Machines 140cc OHV Self Propelled Gas Lawn Mower, 21-Inch placed 13th when we looked at the top 20 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note June 11, 2020:
Checkout The Best Self Propelled Lawn Mower for a detailed review of all the top self propelled lawn mowers.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
Perfect your lawn with Yard Machines 140cc 21" 2-in-1 FWD Lawn Mower. Powered by a 140cc engine with a recoil start and autochoke, this front-wheel drive lawn mower is great for level terrain and allows you tip up or turn the mower in order to get the perfect angle. It is equipped with a dual lever that allows you to adjust the trimmings between 6 different heights. The Self-Propelled Bottom Bail allows you to accelerate or slow down at your choosing. It is equipped with both side discharge and mulching capabilities. It comes with a 21-inch cutting deck that allows you to mow wider areas of grass with fewer passes- perfect for small- to medium-sized yards. The 8 inch wheels are equipped with bar treading that allows you to effortlessly drive through hard or loose soil. Backed by a 2 year warranty.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Self Propelled Lawn Mowers
A well-kept lawn is a thing of beauty. Not only is it nice to look at, having perfectly mowed grass makes it more enjoyable to have fun outside in your yard. However, if you have a sizable grassy area or just don’t enjoy sweating while pushing a manual lawn mower along, then a self propelled lawn mower may be a good choice for you.
Walk-behind push-mowers are powered by your strength, where you move them by pushing them over the grass you want you cut. A self propelled lawn mower takes the manual labor out of mowing your yard because it is powered by a transmission. Typically, these kind of lawn mowers run on gas, though there are some that are cordless electric models as well. You can find self propelled lawn mowers that come with variable speeds, which the operator controls in order to move the mower forward. For most people, a single speed mower will do the trick. If you have unique walking speeds, then you may need a variable speed mower. Instead of having to push the lawn mower, though, you only have to walk behind the mower and steer it where you want to go.
Self propelled lawn mowers that are front-wheel drive provide more dexterity when it comes to turning and maneuvering. These kind of mowers are perfect for those who have flat lawns. On the other hand, if you have a sloped lawn, then a rear-wheel drive lawn mower is a better choice. These have better traction on curved land.
The biggest benefits of self propelled lawn mowers is the time and energy you save. You can get the job done much faster without exerting a lot of effort. If you have thick grass, you don’t have to worry about pushing your lawn mower through it because the gadget will power through on its own. If you have a slope, your mower should be able to propel itself along the incline as well.
With a powerful machine like a self propelled lawn mower, safety is a key concern for many shoppers. Keep in mind that many mowers come with a built-in safety feature where the mower only starts and runs if the operator squeezes a bar on the handle. If they let the bar go, then the mower stops. This way, if you slip and fall on the ground, you won’t be near spinning blades. You also don’t need to fiddle with complicated on/off switches or dials as the blades stop moving automatically.
DWYM Fun Fact
Did you know that the average American spends four hours a week on their lawn? That’s a lot of time spent mowing, weeding and watering, especially when you consider that it adds up to 208 hours over the course of a year. If you want to get some of that time back so you can spend it enjoying your lawn instead of taking care of it, then a self propelled lawn mower is a good choice because of all the time it saves.
The first lawn mower has come a long way since 1830 when it was invented. Englishman Edwin Beard Budding got the idea for a lawn mower when we has watching a cutting cylinder at a cloth mill. However, it took him 10 years to develop a machine that worked on grass. If you want to learn more about the history of lawn mowers, you can visit the British Lawnmower Museum, located in Merseyside, Great Britain.
The Self Propelled Lawn Mower Buying Guide
- The first thing to consider when looking for a self propelled lawn mower is what kind of yard you have. The size and shape of your yard, as well as the kind of grass you have and the amount of slope on your lawn will affect what kind of lawn mower you need. For example, if you have a flat lawn, then you may want to consider a front-wheel drive lawn mower, instead of a rear-wheel drive lawn mower which is better for sloped yards.
- Take a look at how easy it is to start your self propelled lawn mower. Traditional ones have a recoil start with a pull rope. By tugging on the rope, you pull a cord which then turns over the engine to start the self propelled lawn mower. For some people, having to pull the rope with a recoil start mower can be difficult. In this case, look for an electric start mower. These are simple to start up with a key or a push button.
- Be sure to consider whether the lawn mower has swivel wheels. This is especially important if you have curved flower beds or gardens within your lawn, or if your lawn is an irregular shape. Turning self propelled lawn mowers can be difficult, which is why having swivel wheels is an important feature. These provide you with more control and maneuverability when turning your mower.
- What do you want to do with your grass clippings? Many self propelled mowers give you three key options. You can either discharge the clippings directly onto your lawn off the sides of the mower, you can collect the clippings in a bag at the rear of the mower, or you can turn the clippings into mulch as you cut the grass.
- If you want to select the height you cut your grass, many mowers have adjustable settings where you can choose how short to trim your lawn. This is a useful feature for those who enjoy manicuring their lawns.
- It’s important to keep your self propelled lawn mower clean, especially from the inside. Look for a mower that has a wash-out port on the deck. This way, you can just hook up your garden hose to the mower and rinse out all of the grass clippings from the blades. This helps to increase the life of the mower.