Xbox One S Gaming System
Last updated date: September 10, 2020
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Gaming Systems and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Gaming System you should buy.
Update as September 10, 2020:
Checkout The Best Gaming System for a detailed review of all the top gaming systems.
You can play games and watch videos with this gaming console, which supports 4K video streaming and 4K UHD Blu-Ray DVDs. The audio is also a standout, featuring Dolby Atmos and DTS. Your console gives you access to the Xbox One library, which includes features, games and video content.
In our analysis of 42 expert reviews, the Xbox One S Gaming System placed 3rd when we looked at the top 5 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
The only console designed to play the best games of the past, present, and future. Play over 1,300 games including more than 200 exclusives and over 400 classics from Xbox 360 and Original Xbox.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Gaming Systems
Gaming systems have come a long way since the early days when you had to buy cartridges to play your favorite 8-bit game. Those cartridges gradually progressed to compact discs, but today, all you need is an internet connection and you can download games and start playing.
But advancing technology has also expanded the types of gaming consoles you can buy. You can find systems that support the latest video advancements, displaying your game in high definition on your big-screen TV. But you can also find classic gaming consoles that give you a nostalgic experience while you’re playing retro games like PAC-MAN and Donkey Kong.
There’s also the option of a mobile gaming console that allows you to take your fun on the road with you. With these lightweight, portable units, you can play at home or while you’re on vacation or in the waiting room of your doctor’s office.
There are three brands that dominate the gaming industry: Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft. If you’re looking for the latest innovations in gaming, you’ll likely be choosing between the latest Sony PlayStation, Nintendo Switch or Sony Xbox One.
With Nintendo Switch, the company has focused on providing a simple, streamlined gaming experience, so you may not get the power you want. The best thing about the Switch is that you can detach the box to take with you and play anywhere.
PlayStation attracts consumers by providing exclusive games, and those games have become popular in recent years. These gaming consoles pack plenty of power, allowing you to play complicated games that feature stunning graphics. If you have a PlayStation, though, you’ll probably want to invest in the latest high-definition technology for your TV to take full advantage of the graphics built into the game.
But Sony’s Xbox is no slacker itself. You’ll get power with this model, too, but you’ll find the games are more versatile than PlayStation’s. You can play your Xbox games on other gaming consoles, which comes in handy when you’re hanging out where there’s only a PlayStation or Nintendo.
Before you start shopping for a gaming console, take an assessment of how you’ll play. Do you mostly play alone? If so, you can get away with one controller, but you may want to have at least an extra one so you can play with friends. You should also look at the capacity of your TV so that you can make sure you get a system that will render graphics in the high-definition display you want.
The Gaming System Buying Guide
- Look for the ease of getting games for the console you choose. Some consoles have their own exclusive games, while others are more universal in nature. You’ll probably need an internet connection to download any games you want to play, although you can still buy discs if you want to play that way.
- If you’re buying discs, pay close attention to the used market. You can get great deals on games that others are selling because they’ve upgraded or are relying on the internet for downloads.
- Pay close attention to the way the console connects to your TV. You’ll probably need an HDMI port on your TV, as well as an HDMI cable to connect things up.
- Some consoles have a secondary USB cable that lets you play games on your laptop or desktop monitor.
- If you opt for a mobile gaming console, make sure you get a storage bag to carry it around with you. Also check the weight to make sure it won’t become burdensome if you’re carrying it in your backpack or laptop bag.
- Battery life is also important in a mobile gaming console. You won’t be near a power outlet at all times, so having a battery that can provide hours of play between charges will be a huge benefit.
- Style is probably the least important factor, but you’ll find gaming consoles are available in a variety of styles. Some retro gaming consoles even come with a retro look to add to the fun.
- If you ever plan to play DVDs, make sure your chosen console not only supports DVDs, but plays them in high definition.
- Although modern gaming consoles allow you to download games and other assets, each manufacturer has its own online library. Look into what’s available before you decide on a brand.
- If you want to save all your favorite games, look at the storage provided with each console. Many of the best boast 1TB of storage. Keep in mind that the most high-powered games will take up quite a bit of space, so that storage will go quickly if you like a big collection of games.
- You may get at least a couple of free games with your console. This is especially prevalent with retro consoles, which often come with dozens of free games.
- Xbox has something called Game Pass, which gives you a substantial discount on games for a monthly subscription fee.
- If you want to take advantage of virtual reality technology, you’ll be limited in your consoles. PlayStation supports it, but some others may, as well. Check to see what gear you’ll need if you want to take advantage of this.
- By the time you buy your console, chances are, it will already be outdated. The latest, greatest gaming system is always just around the corner. You may want to wait until a new version releases, then enjoy it until the next version debuts.
- Families looking for kid-friendly consoles should take a serious look at the Nintendo console. You’ll get a bigger selection of youth-geared games, along with features like being able to later invest in a smaller console like the Switch Lite without having to buy all new games.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Kick-Start Every Morning With Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide