Wusthof WU5558 Easy Clean Stainless Steel Kitchen Shears
Last updated: October 20, 2022
Our Review Process
Don't Waste Your Money is focused on helping you make the best purchasing decision. Our team of experts spends hundreds of hours analyzing, testing, and researching products so you don't have to. Learn more.
We looked at the top Kitchen Shears and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Kitchen Shears you should buy.
In our analysis of 97 expert reviews, the Wusthof Easy Clean Stainless Steel Kitchen Shears placed 9th when we looked at the top 14 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
Wusthof Come-A-Part Kitchen ShearsThese Wusthof Come-A-Part Kitchen Shears are good for snipping flowers, strings, cloth or herbs. The come-a-part mechanism lets you clean these scissors easily and quickly. It also prevents bacteria or rust from developing between the two halves of these German-made shears. You’ll appreciate their lifetime warranty from Wusthof.Standard Features:Wusthof Come-A-Part Kitchen Shears Length: 8″ Precision Forged High Carbon Stainless Steel Has a Bone Notch Synthetic Handle Hand Wash Lifetime Wusthof Guarantee Against Material and Manufacturing Defects, with Normal Use and Proper Care Made in Solingen Germany Model#: 5558-1 240613. These powerful 8-inch kitchen shears cut food, flowers, paper, cardboard, even carpet. They’re balanced in the hand and work equally well for right-handers and left-handers. Blades formed from high-carbon stainless steel curve inward so they meet in only one place at any given position and cutting action is smooth and exact. One blade’s serrations prevent slippage. A plastic cap on the screw securing the blades can be lifted so the shears can be taken apart for resharpening. Steel-tooth insets in the rugged synthetic handles twist open bottle and jar caps. The shears are dishwasher-safe, but hand washing better protects the blade edges. –Fred Brack
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Kitchen Shears Rankings
If you enjoy preparing meals from scratch for family and friends, there are a few essential tools you’ll want to have in your kitchen. A set of kitchen shears, for example, can significantly cut down on the time you spend chopping fruits, vegetables and meats into bite-sized pieces.
While shears are almost identical to scissors in design and purpose, they are differentiated by their length. Scissors are typically under 6 inches, while shears measure 6 inches and above. Shears are also designed to cut thicker and harder objects than an everyday pair of scissors.
Before you purchase your first set of kitchen shears, there are a few things you’ll want to take into consideration. Start by examining the tool’s handle. You want to make sure it is made with a material that gives you a good grip, so your fingers don’t slip out during a cut. The KitchenAid All-Purpose Kitchen Shear not only has a handle with a good grip, but the handle is also soft. You’ll get the stability you need, as well as a little comfort.
It’s worth noting that although most kitchen shears are made for right-handed individuals, it is possible to find a manufacturer who makes specially designed shears for lefties.
Your next step is to examine the kitchen shears’ blades. Most modern shears are made using stainless steel blades, as they are resistant to rust and do not become discolored when working with foods that have a natural dye. The blades should also be serrated. The serrated edges allow for a firm grip on the piece of food you wish to cut.
Another aspect to consider is whether you’d like your shears to serve more than one purpose. Some shears have a center that quickly and easily opens bottle caps and a handle that cracks nuts. If you drink a lot of soda pop while munching on walnuts, this might be a better option for you.
Individuals who don’t have a lot of strength in their hands may do better with a set of shears that uses a spring-loaded handle. The springs do the work for you as you squeeze. Since you don’t need as much pressure to cut food, your hands are spared from the strain they typically feel when using a set of shears.
- To check the quality of your kitchen shears, close the blades and look to make sure the tips line up perfectly.
- In order for your kitchen shears to continue cutting with precision and ease, you’ll need to have them sharpened regularly. How often you sharpen them depends on how much you use them, but every two weeks is a good rule of thumb.
- Kitchen shears can be sharpened a variety of ways. Sandpaper, aluminum foil or a sharpening stone are the most common.
- Beware of what causes your kitchen shears blades to dull prematurely. For example, not drying the blades off soon after they get wet is one cause. Another is cutting through bones instead of cutting the meat off the bones.
- When it comes to maintenance, you’ll also need to oil the kitchen shears’ pivot point. This keeps friction to a minimum, making it easier to cut through tough vegetables and meats.
- Always read the product label before washing the kitchen shears. Some only allow handwashing, especially the models that have removable blades. Others permit using a dishwasher, but state that handwashing is always best.
- When comparing the price of kitchen shears, you need to take into account any extra features that are offered. For example, you can expect sheers that have two additional built-in tools to be slightly more expensive than the Acelone Premium Stainless Steel Kitchen Shear, which is more basic. Models with an added spring that makes chopping less strenuous will also cost more than a model like the more basic KitchenAid All-Purpose Kitchen Shear.