Wusthof Classic Butcher Knife, 8-Inch
Last updated date: July 1, 2020
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top Butcher Knives and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Butcher Knife you should buy.
If you're looking to make precise cuts, go with this butcher's knife, which has a razor-sharp blade. It's designed to resist fading, discoloration, corrosion and dulling. Thanks to the curved hollow-edge blade with a pronounced skinning tip, you won't have any trouble portioning your porkchops and trimming your fillets. In our analysis of 22 expert reviews, the Wusthof Wusthof Classic Butcher Knife, 8-Inch placed 3rd when we looked at the top 10 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note July 1, 2020:
Checkout The Best Butcher Knives for a detailed review of all the top butcher knives.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
WÜSTHOF’S CLASSIC full-tang knives are precision-forged from a single piece of an exclusive high-carbon stainless steel. CLASSIC knives feature a new handle design made of a highly durable synthetic material – Polyoxymethylene (POM) – which has a tighter molecular structure to resist fading and discoloration. The CLASSIC Artisan Butcher Knife features a striking silhouette with a contoured finger guard, a dramatic curved hollow-edge blade and a pronounced skinning tip. This bold statement piece is far more versatile than the traditional butcher knife, perfectly designed for portioning chops and steaks and trimming cutlets and fillets. The ideal size and shape for countless food prep tasks, the CLASSIC Artisan Butcher Knife is perfectly balanced with a comfortable over-sized handle. Its razor sharp edge effortlessly skins and slices large fruits and vegetables. It’s as functional as it is handsome. Precision-forged from a single blank of high carbon stainless steel. Full tang that is triple riveted to the handle for precise control. Precision Edge Technology (PEtec) yields a blade that is 20% sharper with twice the edge retention. Tempered to 58⁰ Rockwell.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Butcher Knives
Butcher’s knives are used exclusively for removing meat from an animal, trimming the meat and cutting the meat into individual portions. Whether you are a professional butcher, or you hunt and cook your own game, you’ll need a quality butcher’s knife. With the right knife, you won’t have to put in as much effort to get the job done in a timely fashion.
The first thing you want to look at when purchasing a butcher knife is its construction material. Some of the knives are made out of manganese steel, while others are forged using German high-carbon steel with a 56+ Rockwell hardness and a satin finish. You want to make sure the blades are durable, resistant to rust and corrosion and nice and sharp.
Determine which type of butcher’s knife works best for your needs. For example, the Utopia Kitchen Cleaver Chopper Butcher Knife, 7-Inch is a heavy-duty cleaver that is capable of cutting through bone. It’s built to withstand the demands of a commercial kitchen, although you can use it in a home setting. Other butcher’s knives are geared toward trimming meat and cutting it into bite-size pieces.
Check out the butcher knife’s handle next. The DALSTRONG Gladiator Cimitar Butcher Knife, 10-Inch is constructed from a black pakkawood that was imported from Spain. It uses an ergonomic design for comfort and reduced hand fatigue. It’s also ambidextrous with full tang and a triple rivet. Other knives are made out of an ABS material and are textured for a non-slip grip.
Consider any extras that the butcher knife may have to offer. Some come with a leather knife sheath that can be attached to a belt and worn outside, while others, like the UltraSource Cimeter Blade Butcher Knife, 10-Inch, have antibacterial handles. The Wusthof Classic Butcher Knife, 8-Inch is crafted to resist dulling, which means you’ll spend less time having to sharpen the blade.
DWYM Fun Fact
Although there is evidence of animals being butchered during the earliest days of man, the first butcher’s guild wasn’t formed until 1272. Even still, it wasn’t until the 18th century that the words “butcher’s knife” actually appeared in print. Prior to that, all of the different variations of a knife were simply referred to as knives.
Some of the earliest butcher knives had broader noses and many of the blades had the same width as their handles. Today, we have a wide variety of butcher’s knives to choose from, including those with straight and curved blades, thin and thick blades and long and short blades.
The Butcher Knife Buying Guide
- Reviewers report that many of the butcher’s knives require some sharpening before you use them for the first time.
- Some butcher’s knives are listed as dishwasher safe and some are not. Most companies recommend washing the knives by hand, even if they are considered safe to run through the dishwasher. This keeps the quality of the blade high. All you need is a little dish soap and water. If you come across any stuck-on foods, you can remove them with a little salt and a non-abrasive scrubber.
- Avoid using abrasive cleaners and steel wool pads when cleaning your butcher’s knife.
- Butcher’s knives are not meant to withstand acidic or alkaline substances for long, which means you’ll need to wipe the blades clean soon after contact with one of these ingredients.
- When using your butcher’s knife, it’s good practice to always slide a cutting board over your counter or workstation. Opt for a wooden or bamboo cutting board instead of plastic, as these are naturally antibacterial.
- If your knife has been left to sit out for any length of time, you can bring it back to life by applying a little cooking oil.
- Always store your butcher’s knives in a cool dry location when not in use.
- No matter how much you’re willing to spend, you’re sure to find butcher’s knives that match your budget. The Utopia Kitchen Cleaver Chopper Butcher Knife, 7-Inch and the UltraSource Cimeter Blade Butcher Knife, 10-Inch are both extremely affordable. The DALSTRONG Gladiator Cimitar Butcher Knife, 10-Inch is more moderately priced, while the Wusthof Classic Butcher Knife, 8-Inch has the highest price tag of the bunch.