Whynter ICM-15LS Automatic Ice Cream Maker, 1.6-Quart
Last updated date: February 1, 2021
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Ice Cream Makers and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Ice Cream Maker you should buy.
Update as January 29, 2021:
Checkout The Best Ice Cream Maker for a detailed review of all the top ice cream makers.
The self-refrigerating ice cream maker is easy to use, allowing you to just fire it up whenever you want a tasty treat. This machine is among the quietest to operate, so you won't have to worry about its churning interrupting your get-together. Its 1.6-quart capacity makes it easy to whip up dessert for your family or a small group of friends.
In our analysis of 85 expert reviews, the Whynter ICM-15LS Automatic Ice Cream Maker, 1.6-Quart placed 5th when we looked at the top 13 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
With the WHYNTER ICM-15LS stainless steel frozen dessert ice cream maker, you can make a spread of delectable desserts in about 30-40 minutes. This versatile self –freezing ice cream maker allows you to not only make premium ice cream but also refreshing sorbets, Italian gelato, sherbets, fresh frozen yogurts and other treats. Our professional standard ice-cream maker offers premium features not found in budget ice cream makers. A built-in powerful compressor freezer allows for continuous use without the inconvenience of having to pre-freeze the mixing bowl. Not only is it so much easier, it also tastes a whole lot better.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Ice Cream Makers
Homemade ice cream is a treasured part of summertime fun. All you need is a good ice cream machine and some ingredients, and you’ll have a deliciously creamy treat. Today’s ice cream makers are built to make the perfect frozen treat with minimal effort. Just fire it up, choose your settings and wait for results.
But not all ice cream makers are built the same. The design plays heavily into how the final product tastes, so it’s important to know what type of ice cream you prefer before you buy. You’ll also find some machines can tackle a wide range of ice cream types, including gelato and sorbet, while others are limited to ice cream with a soft-serve consistency.
One issue commonly seen with homemade ice cream from these machines is a grainy consistency. This is a result of ice crystals that get in the ice cream. If you’re looking for that desired creamy taste, you’ll need to look for a machine that minimizes ice crystal buildup.
There are three major types of ice cream makers. One requires you to add ice and salt, while another has you freezing the bowl ahead of time. The third comes with a compressor, which means you can fire it up and start making ice cream. While the compressor model sounds great, it can also be more expensive, which is a consideration if you’re on a budget.
If you only plan to make ice cream for your own immediate family, you may not have to worry much about capacity. But for those backyard summer barbecues or family reunions, a high-capacity ice cream maker will come in handy. Instead of having to sit by the ice cream maker cranking out batch after batch, you can make plenty of servings for everyone at once and go back to having fun.
The Ice Cream Maker Buying Guide
- The top reason to invest in an ice cream maker is to make ice cream that tastes far and above what you could buy in the freezer section of your grocery store. For that reason, taste will be an important part of your decision-making process. Look for a model that creates smooth ice cream in delicious flavors. You’ll need to watch out for ice crystal buildup, though, which can keep the ice cream from being as creamy. You’ll also need to experiment a little if you want to make special recipes like gelato.
- If you don’t mind sticking strictly to the manufacturer’s ice cream mixes, the Nostalgia Ice Cream Maker can cook up some yummy batches.
- If you’ve ever used an ice cream maker, you know they can be noisy. This isn’t a big deal for those times when you’re making ice cream for the family. However, when you’ve gathered all your friends in the backyard for a fun cookout, the whir of the machine can serve as a distraction. Look for a model that runs quietly, as there are a few that meet this criteria on the market.
- At the end of each use, you’ll have to put your machine in storage until the next time you need it. Unfortunately, cleanup with some ice cream makers can be complicated and frustrating. The Nostalgia Ice Cream Maker has an interior you can just wipe down when you’re finished, but it’s important to act quickly since the rock salt can be difficult to remove once it hardens. Some units are not only easy to clean, but if the unit experiences clogs, they also have an auto-stop function to give you time to get things cleaned out and working again.
- Although they can be pricier, a compressor-based ice cream maker can come in handy. Look for a model that is self-refrigerating, so you can just start making ice cream when you’re ready. The Nostalgia Ice Cream Maker requires you to freeze the mixing bowl and add ice and salt in order to freeze the mixture. Fail to keep it cold enough, and you’ll likely end up with a milkshake rather than scoop-worthy ice cream.
- Some ice cream makers have a keep-cool function. That means you can get it started and walk away, knowing that your ice cream will still be delicious even if you don’t return immediately.
- If you plan to make ice cream for large groups, you’ll want to make sure you choose one with enough capacity to handle it. The Nostalgia Ice Cream Maker leads the pack with its ability to make up to 4 quarts of ice cream. The Cuisinart Frozen Yogurt Ice Cream Maker, 1.5-Quart can only make 1.5 quarts.
- With peak capacity, though, comes another issue. The Nostalgia Ice Cream Maker is large and heavy, at 15 by 17 by 16 inches. However, it weighs only 6.4 pounds, compared to other models that are a whopping 27 pounds. This is something to consider if you’re thinking about storage and portability.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide