Westcott Safety-Edge Left & Right Hand 5-Inch Student Scissors, 12-Pack
Last updated date: September 9, 2021
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Student Scissors and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Student Scissors you should buy.
Update as September 9, 2021:
Checkout The Best Students’ Scissors for a detailed review of all the top student scissors.
These students' scissors come in a pack of 12 and can be used by both right and left-handed students. The scissors come with colorful handles and durable stainless steel blades. Since the tips are blunt, they are safe for use with kids as young as four.
In our analysis, the Westcott Westcott Safety-Edge Left & Right Hand 5-Inch Student Scissors, 12-Pack placed 2nd when we looked at the top 8 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
These 5" blunt-tip scissors are specially designed for a child's hand. The molded, asymmetrical handles allow for either left- or right-handed use. A safety-edge grind on the stainless steel blades makes them safer and reliable. These small scissors cut through paper, fabric, string, and other craft materials easily. Westcott is dedicated to supporting education and inspiring creative activities in the classroom and at home. Westcott products are specifically designed for growing students and created to be fun and functional with superior quality and exceptional value.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Student Scissors
Whether you are a classroom teacher stocking up on supplies or a parent purchasing school supplies to send in with a student, you’ll need to make sure your list includes a quality pair of scissors that is both safe and easy to use.
The first thing you need to do is consider the age group of the child you are shopping for, as student scissors have different designs for various age groups. You’ll find starter scissors work well for small artists. The blades on these scissors aren’t sharp. They open at a minimal angle that isn’t wide enough to fit a finger. They also use a spring to re-open after each use, allowing preschoolers to focus on cutting.
Student scissors start at a length of 2.5 inches and max out at 9 inches, as children become full grown. You’ll find the tips of the scissors’ blades are made blunt when designed for preschoolers and kindergarteners, but pointed for elementary and middle school children.
Next, you’ll want to make sure you’re purchasing scissors that your child can use. Some are designed for right-handers, while others are made for kids who write, draw and cut with their left hands. Of course, there are also many models with symmetrical handles on the market that work well for both right and left-handed users. These are an excellent choice for teachers who may have a combination of right and left-handed students in their classroom.
Check the construction of the student scissors you’d like to purchase. You want the pair to be lightweight, yet durable. Most feature stainless steel blades to easily cut through paper, string, ribbon or photos. That means they will work well for most classroom crafts. Another option is to go with a pair of scissors made with high-performance titanium-bonded blades. These blades are not only corrosion resistant, but also three times as strong as their stainless steel counterparts. They even remain sharp through 100,000 cuts!
An ergonomic handle is also a must, as you want the scissors to be comfortable to hold. Most models feature a large finger loop with a smaller thumb loop. Some add a rubber soft grip to the handle to reduce hand fatigue, allowing children to complete their crafts without having to stop and rest.
As you’re shopping for student scissors, consider your child’s favorite color. Scissors are sold in a variety of bright colors, like red, blue, purple, pink, yellow and turquoise. Teachers can order packs of 12 or 25, both of which come with multiple color options.
The Student Scissors Buying Guide
- Some students’ scissors are designed to be multipurpose, meaning they can also be used at home to complete sewing projects or at the office to cut through packaging materials. Others are strong and sharp enough to cut through burlap and leather, making them perfect for cutting patterns, quilting and even making homemade leather jewelry.
- Student scissors make for excellent back-to-school, Christmas or birthday gifts, especially if the child in your home has a love of all things arts and crafts.
- To keep your student scissors functioning at their best, you’ll need to have the blades sharpened once per year. If the pair has a pivot screw, you can also add a drop of oil at the point of the screw.
- Consider purchasing a plastic storage container to organize your child’s school supplies. They make containers that are small enough to fit inside a desk, but large enough to accommodate a pair of scissors, a set of pencils, extra erasers and even a ruler.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide