WEN 6552T Fan Assisted Height Adjusted Planer, 13-Inch
Last updated date: December 16, 2022
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top WEN Planers and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best WEN Planer you should buy.
Update as January 4, 2023:
Checkout The Best WEN Planer for a detailed review of all the top wen planers.
If you need to work with hard woods, you'll want to go with this WEN planer. It features a three-blade design and is able to handle boards as wide as 13 inches and as thick as 6 inches. Thanks to the stability of this planer's heavy-duty cast iron base, you won't have to worry about it wobbling during operation.
In our analysis of 21 expert reviews, the WEN 6552T Fan Assisted Height Adjusted Planer, 13-Inch placed 6th when we looked at the top 6 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
Onboard material gauge displays the cutting depth of each pass. Plane boards up to 6 in. T and 13 in. W
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On WEN Planers
If you enjoy taking on a few side projects or completing most of your home repairs and renovations yourself, you’ll want to invest in a quality planer. This woodworking tool has a wide range of uses. It works to fix stubborn doors and uneven joints and can even be used to assist in making homemade cutting boards. When you’re ready to begin shopping, you’ll find WEN’s line of planers are among the most desirable.
Determine whether you’d like a handheld planer or a benchtop planer. Handheld models are more lightweight and easily portable. They are ideal if you need to complete a few quick tasks away from home. Benchtop planers, on the other hand, are designed to stay put. Some of the models even come with pre-drilled holes so you can mount them to your worktable.
Once you know which type of planer you need, you’ll want to review the specifics of each WEN model. Some models have a 15-amp motor that is able to make 17,000 cuts per minute using a two-blade cutting system, while other planers feature an 8-amp motor that can make as many as 32,000 cuts per minute. You’ll even find planers with a three-blade design that are capable of handling tough woods.
Check that the planer has a proper dust port. Certain planers use a fan-assisted dust port to remove sawdust. You will need to connect a dust extraction device to the hose, however, if you don’t want the shavings to end up on the floor of your workspace. Other models come with a two-way dust shoot that lets you choose whether the sawdust is expelled to the left or to the right.
Consider any extras that come with the WEN planer. For instance, some planers are sold with a protective kickstand, reversible dust chute, an adjustment wrench and a rabbeting guide. When the accessories are included, you don’t have to spend money purchasing them later on.
The WEN Planer Buying Guide
- WEN planers that come with a dust bag tend to fill up quickly. If you choose to use the dust bag, you’ll need to stop often to empty it. Instead, consider placing a trash can under the dust port.
- Some planers are quite noisy. Consider purchasing an affordable pair of ear protection headphones to wear while you work.
- WEN recommends that you dress for safety when operating any of their planers. This includes avoiding loose clothing or jewelry that could get caught in the machine, as well as wearing a dust mask and goggles.
- Never use power tools in damp areas or in locations where flammable liquids or gasses are used.
- Always turn the planer off and unplug it from the outlet before making adjustments or leaving the room to attend to another task.
- To extend the life of your planer, it’s best to stick with using quality lumber. You’ll also want to keep up with any routine maintenance as outlined in the planer’s product care manual and inspect the tool often to look for dull blades or frayed cords.
- If you intend on using your planer outdoors, and you need an extension cord, make sure you consult the “Required Gauge for Extension Cords” chart in the planer’s owner’s manual. It’s imperative that you use the correct cord and that you follow all of the safety instructions.
- When it comes to the cost of a WEN planer, you’ll find handheld models have the lowest price tag. Naturally, you’ll pay more for a planer that includes a table.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Kick-Start Every Morning With Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide