WEN 6550T 12.5-Inch 15 Amp Corded Planer
Last updated date: August 26, 2020
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top WEN Planers and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best WEN Planer you should buy.
Editor's Note August 26, 2020:
Checkout The Best WEN Planer for a detailed review of all the top wen planers.
Not only does this WEN planer have a heavy-duty base that keeps the unit stable, but it also features a smooth granite table. The base even has pre-drilled holes, so you can mount it to a workstation if you wish. Additionally, the unit is capable of making 17,000 cuts per minute, thanks to its two-blade cutting system.
In our analysis of 16 expert reviews, the WEN WEN 6550T 12.5-Inch 15 Amp Corded Planer placed 3rd when we looked at the top 4 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
Granite table provides a sturdy non-marring surface for your wood. Plane boards up to 6 in. thick and 12.5 in. W
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On WEN Planers
If you enjoy taking on a few side projects or completing most of your home repairs and renovations yourself, you’ll want to invest in a quality planer. This woodworking tool has a wide range of uses. It works to fix stubborn doors and uneven joints and can even be used to assist in making homemade cutting boards. When you’re ready to begin shopping, you’ll find WEN’s line of planers are among the most desirable.
Determine whether you’d like a handheld planer or a benchtop planer. Handheld models are more lightweight and easily portable. They are ideal if you need to complete a few quick tasks away from home. Benchtop planers, on the other hand, are designed to stay put. Some of the models even come with pre-drilled holes so you can mount them to your worktable.
Once you know which type of planer you need, you’ll want to review the specifics of each WEN model. Some models, like the WEN 6550T 12.5-Inch 15 Amp Corded Planer, have a 15-amp motor that is able to make 17,000 cuts per minute using a two-blade cutting system, while other planers, like the WEN 6534 8-Amp 4-3/8-Inch Electric Hand Planer, feature an 8-amp motor that can make as many as 32,000 cuts per minute. You’ll even find planers with a three-blade design that are capable of handling tough woods.
Check that the planer has a proper dust port. The WEN 6552T 13-Inch 15 Amp 3-Blade Benchtop Planer uses a fan-assisted dust port to remove sawdust. You will need to connect a dust extraction device to the hose, however, if you don’t want the shavings to end up on the floor of your workspace. Other models come with a two-way dust shoot that lets you choose whether the sawdust is expelled to the left or to the right.
Consider any extras that come with the WEN planer. For instance, the WEN 6530 6 Amp 3-1/4-Inch Corded Hand Planer is sold with a protective kickstand, reversible dust chute, an adjustment wrench and a rabbeting guide. When the accessories are included, you don’t have to spend money purchasing them later on.
The WEN Planer Buying Guide
- WEN planers that come with a dust bag tend to fill up quickly. If you choose to use the dust bag, you’ll need to stop often to empty it. Instead, consider placing a trash can under the dust port.
- Some planers are quite noisy. Consider purchasing an affordable pair of ear protection headphones to wear while you work.
- WEN recommends that you dress for safety when operating any of their planers. This includes avoiding loose clothing or jewelry that could get caught in the machine, as well as wearing a dust mask and goggles.
- Never use power tools in damp areas or in locations where flammable liquids or gasses are used.
- Always turn the planer off and unplug it from the outlet before making adjustments or leaving the room to attend to another task.
- To extend the life of your planer, it’s best to stick with using quality lumber. You’ll also want to keep up with any routine maintenance as outlined in the planer’s product care manual and inspect the tool often to look for dull blades or frayed cords.
- If you intend on using your planer outdoors, and you need an extension cord, make sure you consult the “Required Gauge for Extension Cords” chart in the planer’s owner’s manual. It’s imperative that you use the correct cord and that you follow all of the safety instructions.
- When it comes to the cost of a WEN planer, you’ll find handheld models, like the WEN 6534 8-Amp 4-3/8-Inch Electric Hand Planer and the WEN 6530 6 Amp 3-1/4-Inch Corded Hand Planer, have the lowest price tag. Naturally, you’ll pay more for a planer that includes a table, such as the WEN 6552T 13-Inch 15 Amp 3-Blade Benchtop Planer and the WEN 6550T 12.5-Inch 15 Amp Corded Planer.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide