Watkins Organic Whole Cloves, 1.5-Ounce, 3-Pack
Last updated date: October 4, 2021
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Whole Cloves and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Whole Clove you should buy.
Update as October 4, 2021:
Checkout The Best Whole Cloves for a detailed review of all the top whole cloves.
This high-quality three-pack features containers of whole cloves (choose your size), which is great if you use a lot of the spice in your daily cooking. Each jar of USDA-certified organic, non-GMO, kosher cloves is packaged to optimize freshness.
In our analysis, the Watkins Watkins Organic Whole Cloves, 1.5-Ounce, 3-Pack placed 1st when we looked at the top 6 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
Trust the flavor of Watkins Organic Spices. For over 100 years, Watkins has offered only the best herbs and spices from around the world. Our spices contain only the highest quality volatile oils and packaged for optimal freshness. USDA certified organic. Non-GMO project verified. Superior quality, gourmet spices and herbs. Gluten Free. Kosher.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Whole Cloves
If you regularly cook meals that include cloves as an ingredient, you probably realize how important the spice can be in a recipe. The flavor stands out so much, even a slight change in brand or quality can make a big difference.
What are cloves? They’re made from the leaves of the clove tree, an evergreen that grows as tall as 40 feet. Typically found in warmer tropical climates, the tree is native to Indonesia but has been planted across the globe to produce the popular spice.
Cloves are a pungent spice, found in recipes for spicy dishes and beverages, as well as some sweet ones. For dessert usage, they’re perhaps best known for being combined with cinnamon and nutmeg in pumpkin pie. You’ll also see them in spicy drinks like cider and chai.
When shopping for cloves, it’s important to look at the oil concentration. Cloves with a high level of oil concentration are both spicier and more aromatic. Your recipes will soar with the right cloves to help them along.
Another consideration is the nutrition content. Cloves are rich in antioxidants, Vitamin C and eugenol, so they’re a great addition to your diet. But you may also want to look for cloves that are organic, gluten-free and non-GMO.
The Whole Clove Buying Guide
- Cloves should be stored in a cool, dry place between uses. No refrigeration is required.
- Your cloves should have an expiration date on them, but this is typically a date well into the future. Once they’re ground, though, be aware that this shortens their lifespan. You might want to keep your cloves in whole form until just before you’re ready to use them.
- A change in color with your spices will typically tell you whether they’re still fresh or not. As the color of your cloves start to lighten, take a whiff and see if they’re also starting to lose their fragrance. While the spice will still be fine to use, it may not have the potency it once did.
- Cloves come in resealable bags as well as spice bottles. A resealable bag can keep air and moisture from getting in, making it ideal for larger quantities.
- Cloves can be served in a variety of ways. You can grind them or toss them into your recipes and beverages whole. In a pinch, you can substitute nutmeg, allspice or cardamom for cloves in some recipes.
- Where your cloves are sourced from is important. You’ll find some from the U.S., but it’s preferable if they come from a country where clove trees are more common and harvesting them is a normal practice.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Kick-Start Every Morning With Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide