Vornado Whole Room Heater
Last updated date: September 10, 2019
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top 1 Space Heaters and dug through the reviews from 4 of the most popular review sites including BestReviews, New York Times Wirecutter, Good Housekeeping and more. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Space Heater you should buy.
The Vornado Whole Room Heater is both portable and efficient, making it a great choice for offices and small areas. A temperature-based thermostat lets you set this heater and forget about as it begins to warm an area. It also features quiet operation to give you the silence necessary to focus on getting things done. In our analysis of 58 expert reviews, the Vornado Vornado Whole Room Heater placed 5th when we looked at the top 12 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note September 11, 2019:
Checkout The Best Space Heater for a detailed review of all the top space heaters.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
Using electronic auto climate temperature control, the AVH2 Plus eliminates annoying hot and cold cycles, maintaining the set temperature while using less energy. The AVH2 Plus incorporates Vornado’s signature vortex technology to fully circulate the warm air throughout the room, creating a uniform temperature throughout. User-friendly push-button controls and a timer, along with a digital screen, put all of the heater’s functions at your fingertips. And a cool-touch case and overheat protection offer peace of mind — as does the 5-year warranty.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Space Heaters
Being cold is no fun. Whether it’s a spot in your home that the heat just doesn’t reach or an office that stays chilly year-round, sometimes a steady blast of warm air is exactly what you need to be comfortable. Space heaters are great for fulfilling that demand. Simply set one on the floor next to you and enjoy the warmth.
But there are many factors to consider when you’re picking out a space heater. The majority of house fires start because of portable space heaters, so it’s important to choose one with built-in safety features. Look for heaters with auto shut-off and tip protection, especially if you have small children or pets in the house. You should also place your heater away from flammable objects, like drapes and bedding.
Once you’ve squared away safety, you’ll want to look for a space heater that provides the level of warmth you need. Some space heaters are designed to be directional in nature, primarily heating the area where they’re pointed. However, many newer space heaters are less directional, warming an entire area and all the objects within it. If you’re in a cubicle at work, you’ll likely be more interested in heating yourself, whereas at home you may prefer to warm up an entire room.
Portability and size are also important things to consider, especially if you won’t be using your heater in the same space. Some heaters are small and portable, even coming equipped with carrying handles to make them easy to move around. These heaters are also usually smaller in size, making them handy for slipping under your desk to keep your feet warm while you work. Much larger units typically fit better if you’re heating a whole room in your home rather than carrying them back and forth to the office every day.
DYWM Fun Fact
If you’re using a space heater to make up for a chilly office or a part of your home that’s colder than the rest, you probably have no other choice. However, if you’re using a space heater to save money on your utility bill, that may not be such a good idea. Even the most efficient space heater can’t do as well as your central heating when it comes to warming large spaces. According to the U.S. Energy Department, gas furnaces cost 43 percent of what you’d spend to heat the same space with an electric space heater. Dressing in layers or buying an electric blanket could be more affordable alternatives.
The Space Heater Buying Guide
- If you’re looking for a whole room heater, make sure you get one with a temperature-based thermostat. The Lasko space heater has a setting-based thermostats, which means an adjustment from low to high. With the Dr. Infrared heater, you can set a desired temperature, such as 65 or 70 degrees. The units will run until the area achieves that level of warmth, at which point they will shut off.
- The Andily Electric Space Heater does a better job at heating an individual sitting in front of it than similar heaters that are designed for whole-room heating.
- Although you’ll always need to exercise caution when operating a space heater, many of today’s models have safety features built in. The Dr. Infrared Heater is certified as safe by the Underwriters Laboratories, with both automatic shut-off and anti-tip over protection. The Lasko Space Heater automatically shuts off if the unit gets too hot, although there is no anti-tip over switch. The Andily Electric Space Heater has an anti-tip over feature and the Lasko Ceramic Tower Heater includes a non-slip base.
- Noise can be a concern, especially if you plan to operate your space heater in the workplace. The Dr. Infrared heater is notably quiet, using its own technology to provide heat at a low speed, which makes it less noisy than comparable space heaters.
- Size can be an issue, especially if you’re tucking your heater discreetly under a desk. The Andily and the Lasko heater are lightweight and portable. The Lasko heater has a handle to make it easy to carry from one space to another. If you plan to mount your space heater on a wall, the Lasko is also a good choice.
- It’s important to note that the Dr. Infrared heater has been known for thermal fuse failures. However, investing in a high-quality extension cord can keep that from happening, and if it does, the company will ship a new fuse upon request.