TurnOnSport Hiking & Backpacking Compass
Last updated date: July 12, 2021
Why Trust DWYM?
We looked at the top Hiking Compasses and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Hiking Compass you should buy.
Update as July 12, 2021:
Checkout The Best Hiking Compasses for a detailed review of all the top hiking compasses.
This handheld compass includes a lanyard so you can carry it around your neck or tie it to a backpack. The lightweight, brightly colored design makes it a great compass for children. It also has a magnifier and ruler to help make map reading easier.
In our analysis of 21 expert reviews, the TurnOnSport Hiking & Backpacking Compass placed 6th when we looked at the top 6 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
Magnetic Compass with Azimuth Bearing and 360 degree rotating bezel. Backpacking compass for cartographic map navigation and reading with Field Compass located Magnifying Glass - Compass Ruler. Lightweight Compass for Hiking Backpacking. Good choice Cub Scout compass for Kids. Mini compass Best Gifts for Beginners Boy Scout Boys and Girl. Hand held Compass with magnetic needle and directional arrow, orienting lines compass and lanyard. Professional Waterproof Compass for Camping - Orienteering - Hiking - Hunting - Survival - Navigating - Mountaineering - Outdoors. Travel Compass great come up navigational, orientating map and backpackers for men and compasses for kids.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Hiking Compasses
If you hike or camp, a compass is an essential tool to add to your backpack. On a hiking trail, you won’t always have access to GPS, requiring you to rely on maps and compasses for navigation. A compass uses a magnetized needle that rotates to line up with the Earth’s magnetic field, allowing you to determine, at any time, which way is north, east, south or west.
There are different types of compasses, with the baseplate compass being the most common. With a baseplate compass, the compass itself is filled with liquid and mounted on a rectangular base. This type of compass will sometimes also include a magnifying glass to help you read maps.
Most good compasses have features built in to improve accuracy. Declination adjustment helps account for the difference between true north and magnetic north for a better reading. When combined with a sighting mirror, declination adjustment can boost the accuracy of the readout. Sighting mirrors also can help you signal for help in an emergency and, on a less important note, can provide a handy way to check your appearance. One last useful feature is a clinometer, which can help you look out for avalanche hazards.
The Hiking Compass Buying Guide
- Pay attention to the weight of the compass you choose. If you’re taking it hiking or even for a long walk, a little extra weight can become a burden after a while.
- Although the magnifying glass can be useful on the trail, it does make it a little less portable. If you won’t need magnification, consider skipping this feature.
- Some compasses come with lanyards or carabiners to make them easy to wear around your neck or attach to your pack.
- Compasses can be useful tools for kids to learn to use. If you are choosing one for this purpose, look for one that’s designed for children, using bright colors and easy-to-read bezels.
- A thermometer-compass combination can come in handy if you’ll be on the trail for a while. This tool will help you keep an eye on the weather while you’re navigating.
- Hiking gear can be subjected to extreme conditions. If it rains while you’re hiking or you have to go through a body of water, it might get wet. Look for one with a waterproof, durable case if you think your hikes might put you in those conditions.
- You won’t always be using your compass in daylight. One with a built-in light or one that glows in the dark will prove helpful when things are a little dark.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide