Troy-Bilt 159 cc Self Propelled Gas Lawn Mower, 21-Inch
Last updated date: June 5, 2020
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Self Propelled Lawn Mowers and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Self Propelled Lawn Mower you should buy.
Editor's Note December 1, 2020:
Checkout The Best Self-Propelled Lawn Mower for a detailed review of all the top self propelled lawn mowers.
In our analysis of 114 expert reviews, the Troy-Bilt Lawn Mower Troy-Bilt 159 cc Self Propelled Gas Lawn Mower, 21-Inch placed 11th when we looked at the top 20 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
The Troy-Bilt TB210 self-propelled mower features a reliable 159 cc Troy-Bilt OHV engine with Check, Don't Change system that eliminates oil changes. Simply check the oil each time and top off as needed, this system reduces maintenance time and having to dispose of old oil. True variable speed front wheel drive transmission will turn more easily around landscape features and obstacles. Equipped with the TriAction cutting system, this system includes a rake bumper to lift grass upright, a specially designed blade for a finer mulch and a symmetrical deck for superior grass flow, eliminating clumping. A rake bumper to lift grass upright, a specially designed blade for a finer mulch and a symmetrical deck for superior grass flow, eliminating clumping. The TB210 self propelled mower comes with 3 options to dispose of grass clippings, including side discharge, mulch or rear bagging capabilities. Dual lever height adjusters for easy changes in cutting height, plus a deck wash adaptor to help clean the underside of the deck, helps you care for both your yard and your mower more easily. Your work in the yard inspires us to design, test and build the most reliable mowers we possibly can. Visit our How We're Built videos and see what it takes to be built for life.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Self Propelled Lawn Mowers
A well-kept lawn is a thing of beauty. Not only is it nice to look at, having perfectly mowed grass makes it more enjoyable to have fun out in your yard. However, if you have a sizable grassy area or just don’t enjoy sweating while pushing a manual lawn mower along, then a self-propelled lawn mower may be a good choice for you.
Walk-behind push-mowers are powered by your strength, where you move them by pushing them over the grass you want you cut. A self-propelled lawn mower takes most of the manual labor out of mowing your yard because it is powered by a transmission. Typically, this kind of lawn mower runs on gas, though there are some that are cordless electric models as well. You can find self-propelled lawn mowers that come with variable speeds, which the operator controls in order to move the mower forward. For most people, a single-speed mower will do the trick. If different people with unique walking speeds will be using it, then you may need a variable speed mower. Instead of having to push the lawn mower, though, you only have to walk behind the mower and steer it where you want to go.
Self-propelled lawn mowers that are front-wheel drive provide more dexterity when it comes to turning and maneuvering. This kind of mower is perfect for those who have flat lawns. On the other hand, if you have a sloped lawn, then a rear-wheel drive lawn mower is a better choice. These offer better traction on curved land.
The biggest benefit of self-propelled lawn mowers is the time and energy you save. You can get the job done much faster without exerting a lot of effort. If you have thick grass, you don’t have to worry about pushing your lawn mower through it because the gadget will power through on its own. If you have a slope, your mower should be able to propel itself along the incline as well.
With a powerful machine like a self-propelled lawn mower, safety is a key concern for many shoppers. Keep in mind that many mowers come with a built-in safety feature where the mower only starts and runs if the operator squeezes a bar on the handle. If they let the bar go, then the mower stops. This way, if you slip and fall on the ground, you won’t be near spinning blades. You also don’t need to fiddle with complicated on/off switches or dials as the blades shut off automatically.
The Self Propelled Lawn Mower Buying Guide
- The first thing to consider when looking for a self-propelled lawn mower is what kind of yard you have. The size and shape of your yard, as well as the kind of grass you have and the amount of slope on your lawn will affect what kind of lawn mower you need. For example, if you have a flat lawn, then you may want to consider a front-wheel drive lawn mower, instead of a rear-wheel drive lawn mower which is better for sloped yards.
- Take a look at how easy it is to start your self-propelled lawn mower. Traditional ones have a recoil start with a pull rope. By tugging on the rope, you pull a cord, which then turns over the engine to start the self-propelled lawn mower. For some people, having to pull the rope with a recoil-start mower can be difficult. In this case, look for an electric-start mower. These are simple to start up with a key or a push button.
- Be sure to consider whether the lawn mower has swivel wheels. This is especially important if you have curved flower beds or gardens within your lawn, or if your lawn is an irregular shape. Turning self-propelled lawn mowers can be difficult, which is why having swivel wheels is an important feature. These provide you with more control and maneuverability when steering your mower.
- What do you want to do with your grass clippings? Many self-propelled mowers give you three key options. You can either discharge the clippings directly onto your lawn off the sides of the mower, you can collect the clippings in a bag at the rear of the mower, or you can turn the clippings into mulch as you cut the grass.
- If you want to select the height you cut your grass, many mowers have adjustable settings where you can choose how short to trim your lawn. This is a useful feature for those who enjoy manicuring their lawns.
- It’s important to keep your self propelled lawn mower clean, especially from the inside. Look for a mower that has a wash-out port on the deck. This way, you can just hook up your garden hose to the mower and rinse out all of the grass clippings from the blades. This helps to increase the life of the mower.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide