Tortuga Home Goods XXL Dish Mat 23×18-Inch
Last updated date: January 22, 2020
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top Dish Drying Mats and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Dish Drying Mat you should buy.
In addition to using the Tortuga Home Goods XXL Dish Mat 23x18-In to dry your dishes, you can also place it under a hot pan to double as a trivet. It's actually heat resistant up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Another great feature is the anti-bacterial surface, which can be washed by hand or placed in a dishwasher. In our analysis of 35 expert reviews, the Tortuga Home Goods Tortuga Home Goods XXL Dish Mat 23x18-In placed 3rd when we looked at the top 5 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note December 27, 2019:
Checkout The Best Dish Drying Mat for a detailed review of all the top dish drying mats.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
From The Manufacturer
The Tortuga XXL Silicone Dish Mat - 23" x 18" Designed By Customer Feedback. We designed the Tortuga XXL Slicone dish mat based on customer feedback with functionallity at the core. At 23" the mat is the perfect depth to fit next to your sink and fill the entire counter depth (standard counters are 24" deep). At 18" wide, the dish mat can hold an extra large dish rack sideways and you will still have room for pots and pans! You will have enough room for all your dishes in one go. You don't have to build a tower of dishes that could fall at any moment. The soft silicone ridges are perfectly spaced to allow easy cleaning, air movement and stability for your delicate stemware. Exclusive Increased Side Wall Height Extra Thick and Tall Sidewall - The sidewall is taller than the internal ridges creating a barrier against water escaping. This allows you to pile on the wet dishes with reckless abandon! Or use it as a pet dish mat to contain all of the mess from Fido. The increased side wall height is exclusive to Tortuga Home Goods' XXL mat. Don't underestimate the importance of this feature, it's the difference between water being contained or wet counters! About Us - An American Small Family Business. Hi, I'm Christa (the one in the back!) We are an American owned small family business with a simple premise, things should do their intended job well. Often, I would buy something, use it and think, "if they had only done this... it would be perfect". Then I would realize there is no way a product designer overlooked the design flaw; it's companies trying to save a few cents, puttting profit over function. We put function first, our goal is to create high quality products that are innovative & functional and providing you with an exceptional customer experience. Thank You, Christa Elegant and Multifunctional - You'll Wonder How You Lived Without It. Matches Any Decor With three stylish colors to choose from the elegant and sleek design will match any decor. If it's in a modern kitchen or a traditional farmhouse, the Tortuga Dish Mat looks right at home. In life, it's often the simple things that make the biggest difference. Not having to worry about moisture damaging your expensive counters alone is worth the purchase. But we know once you have this in your home, you will truly wonder how you lived without it. Heat Resistant up to 450 degrees Use it on the table at Christmas or Thanksgiving to put your hot dishes on. Use it for canning or homebrewing to put your hot containers on. Perfect for the RV or Boat. With limited space it's great to have a product that serves more than one purpose. Who doesn't like Multi-Purpose?! Stay Clean Silicone Scrubby Tortuga Home Goods is the only dish mat that comes with a silicone scrubby sponge for both cleaning dishes, as well as the mat itself. No more smelly sponges! The non-porous silicone dries quickly and won't harbor bacteria. Enviromentally friendly, will last for years! When the sponge is dry it doubles as a lint remover. The perfect sponge to clean your dish mat too.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Dish Drying Mats
Even though dish racks are handy, they can be bulky and take up a lot of room on your counter. If you live in an apartment or you have a home with a small kitchen, a dish drying mat is a better choice. As you search the available models on the market, you’ll want to keep the following features in mind.
Dish drying mats come in either a microfiber material or silicone. Let’s look at the microfiber mats first.
Microfiber mats first and foremost must be absorbent, as they do not allow water to drain off into a sink. If the water isn’t absorbed, then the dishes are left to sit in the water and the countertop underneath the mat is left soaked, making the drying process take much longer. The S&T Inc. Microfiber Dish Drying Mat, 16×18-Inch is a good choice, as it’s able to hold four times its weight in water.
Make sure the mat itself is also able to fully dry in a timely manner in between washings. The Norpro Microfiber Dish Drying Mat, 2-Pack, 16×18-Inch is fast-drying and even comes with a second mat for use while the first mat is being cleaned in the washing machine.
Cushioning is also important when looking at microfiber mats. You want to protect glasses and other breakable items by choosing a mat that has a thick center layer of foam. A few additional features to consider include whether or not the mat is foldable, whether or not the mat is reversible and whether or not the mat comes in a variety of colors or patterns.
When it comes to FDA-approved silicone dish drying mats, you need a non-slip surface, as this keeps fragile dishes and glasses from sliding off the mat. The OXO Good Grips Large Silicone Drying Mat, 16×12-Inch not only has this, but it also features a ribbed design that works to dry dishes by maximizing drainage and aeration. The mat can be rolled up after each use and placed in a drawer, or hung on the wall by the kitchen sink.
Food-grade silicone mats, like the Tortuga Home Goods XXL Dish Mat 23×18-In, are also heat resistant up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. That allows them to double as a trivet. You can place them underneath a pot or baking dish that just came out of the oven. Additional benefits of this mat include an antibacterial surface and a bonus scrubby for cleaning in between the mat’s grooves.
DWYM Fun Fact
While the modern invention of the dishwasher handles all of the washing and drying of dishes for you, some prefer not to use the appliance. They may wish to save on water and electric, or they may only have a few dishes to wash, which wouldn’t make running the dishwasher worth it. In America, homeowners tend to do one of three things. They either use a dish rack, a regular hand towel or a dish drying mat to get their dishes dry.
Dish drying is handled differently in other parts of the world. Those who live in Finland, for example, have dish drying cabinets. These are full cabinets that sit above the kitchen sink. Instead of shelving with a wooden bottom, they have racks that allow the water to drip down into the sink. If you travel to Britain, you’ll find that citizens wash their dishes in soapy water and then immediately lay them in a dish rack. They do not rinse their dishes off first and they do not use towels or dish drying mats. They believe air drying on a dish rack is best.
The Dish Drying Mat Buying Guide
- Pay attention to how long the mat itself takes to dry after each use. Remember that the mat needs to fully dry between uses, and one that takes a long time to dry is prone to mold and mildew growth.
- Some silicone dish drying mat models have grooves that make them harder to clean. You may wish to purchase a special sponge or brush that can clean between the grooves.
- Dish drying mats made from microfiber materials may be machine washable, but only in cold water with a gentle liquid laundry detergent. They’ll also need to be tumble dried on the low heat setting. It’s best to check the mat’s product care label before you attempt to clean it.
- Some models do not sit flat along the creases after they are unfolded. Instead of folding them and placing them in a drawer for storage, you’ll need to hang them up.
- Keep an eye as to where any excess water can go. Some models lack a channel to hold the extra water.
- If you’re feeling crafty, you can attempt to make your own dish drying mat by sewing a cute patterned fabric to a layer of terry cloth.
- Dish drying mats can be used in other places within the home besides the kitchen. You can place them under your cat or dog’s water dish or set them on the bathroom sink to hold your toothbrush, mouthwash and rinsing cup.
- Never put dishes away unless they are completely dry. Moisture leads to the growth of bacteria, and wet plates stacked on top of each other won’t be able to fully air dry. That remaining moisture allows bacteria to grow, which may pose a risk to anyone in your home who eats off the plate.
- Some companies that sell dish drying mats are operated by a small family business, and therefore offer outstanding customer service. If you are unhappy with your mat for any reason, you can contact them, and they will take extra measures to right any wrong.
- Several factors go into pricing dish drying mats. You’ll need to take into consideration the type of material used, how many mats are included for the price and any extra features. The Norpro Microfiber Dish Drying Mat, 2-Pack, 16×18-Inch is slightly less than the S&T Inc. Microfiber Dish Drying Mat, 16×18-Inch when you factor in the extra mat provided by Norpro. The Tortuga Home Goods XXL Dish Mat 23×18-In has a higher cost than the OXO Good Grips Large Silicone Drying Mat, 16×12-Inch because it’s bigger and comes with a bonus scrubby.