Toro Kohler Variable Speed Self-Propelled Gas Lawn Mower, 22-Inch
Last updated date: December 23, 2020
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Self Propelled Lawn Mowers and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Self Propelled Lawn Mower you should buy.
Update as December 23, 2020:
Checkout The Best Self-Propelled Lawn Mower for a detailed review of all the top self propelled lawn mowers.
This innovative lawn mower is ideal for curved lawns or trimming around curved garden beds. It has nine cutting positions so you can manicure your lawn to your exact specifications. The wash-out port makes it easy to clean the inside of the mower.
In our analysis of 120 expert reviews, the Toro Kohler Self-Propelled Gas Lawn Mower, 22-Inch placed 7th when we looked at the top 23 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
The Toro Recycler 22 in. KOHLER Self-Propelled Gas Lawn Mower features variable-speed functionality and front wheel drive with a KOHLER engine (CARB compliant). This design is great for homeowners seeking a lawn mower with a high-quality, user-friendly design and excellent mulching capability. Toro products are known for smart features and proven dependability you can count on. Recycler cutting system with front throw chamber and Atomic blade lift - suspend and re-cut clippings into a fine mulch for a healthy, lush lawn 22 in. steel deck with atomic blade KOHLER 6.75 ft. lb. gross torque 149cc OHV engine with auto choke provides great power and easy starting; CARB compliant Variable-speed front wheel drive provides better maneuverability and makes mowing in tight spaces easier 3-in-1: mulch, side discharge or bag Quick connect bagging system Washout port - attach a hose to the mower deck to easily clean the underside of the deck 9 cutting positions with 1-4 in. cutting height range to manicure the lawn to your specifications
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Self Propelled Lawn Mowers
A well-kept lawn is a thing of beauty. Not only is it nice to look at, having perfectly mowed grass makes it more enjoyable to have fun out in your yard. However, if you have a sizable grassy area or just don’t enjoy sweating while pushing a manual lawn mower along, then a self-propelled lawn mower may be a good choice for you.
Walk-behind push-mowers are powered by your strength, where you move them by pushing them over the grass you want you cut. A self-propelled lawnmower takes most of the manual labor out of mowing your yard because it is powered by a transmission. Typically, this kind of lawnmower runs on gas, though there are some that are cordless electric models as well. You can find self-propelled lawn mowers that come with variable speeds, which the operator controls in order to move the mower forward. For most people, a single-speed mower will do the trick. If different people with unique walking speeds will be using it, then you may need a variable speed mower. Instead of having to push the lawnmower, though, you only have to walk behind the mower and steer it where you want to go.
Self-propelled lawn mowers that are front-wheel drive provide more dexterity when it comes to turning and maneuvering. This kind of mower is perfect for those who have flat lawns. On the other hand, if you have a sloped lawn, then a rear-wheel drive lawn mower is a better choice. These offer better traction on curved land.
The biggest benefit of self-propelled lawn mowers is the time and energy you save. You can get the job done much faster without exerting a lot of effort. If you have thick grass, you don’t have to worry about pushing your lawnmower through it because the gadget will power through on its own. If you have a slope, your mower should be able to propel itself along the incline as well.
With a powerful machine like a self-propelled lawnmower, safety is a key concern for many shoppers. Keep in mind that many mowers come with a built-in safety feature where the mower only starts and runs if the operator squeezes a bar on the handle. If they let the bar go, then the mower stops. This way, if you slip and fall on the ground, you won’t be near spinning blades. You also don’t need to fiddle with complicated on/off switches or dials as the blades shut off automatically.
The Self Propelled Lawn Mower Buying Guide
- The first thing to consider when looking for a self-propelled lawnmower is what kind of yard you have. The size and shape of your yard, as well as the kind of grass you have and the amount of slope on your lawn will affect what kind of lawn mower you need. For example, if you have a flat lawn, then you may want to consider a front-wheel drive lawn mower, instead of a rear-wheel drive lawn mower which is better for sloped yards.
- Take a look at how easy it is to start your self-propelled lawnmower. Traditional ones have a recoil start with a pull rope. By tugging on the rope, you pull a cord, which then turns over the engine to start the self-propelled lawnmower. For some people, having to pull the rope with a recoil-start mower can be difficult. In this case, look for an electric-start mower. These are simple to start up with a key or a push button.
- Be sure to consider whether the lawnmower has swivel wheels. This is especially important if you have curved flower beds or gardens within your lawn, or if your lawn is an irregular shape. Turning self-propelled lawn mowers can be difficult, which is why having swivel wheels is an important feature. These provide you with more control and maneuverability when steering your mower.
- What do you want to do with your grass clippings? Many self-propelled mowers give you three key options. You can either discharge the clippings directly onto your lawn off the sides of the mower, you can collect the clippings in a bag at the rear of the mower, or you can turn the clippings into mulch as you cut the grass.
- If you want to select the height you cut your grass, many mowers have adjustable settings where you can choose how short to trim your lawn. This is a useful feature for those who enjoy manicuring their lawns.
- It’s important to keep your self propelled lawn mower clean, especially from the inside. Look for a mower that has a wash-out port on the deck. This way, you can just hook up your garden hose to the mower and rinse out all of the grass clippings from the blades. This helps to increase the life of the mower.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide