Last updated date: June 27, 2019
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top 1 Movies and dug through the reviews from 9 of the most popular review sites including Plugged In, Radio Times, Roger Ebert, Empire, TV Guide, Thrillist, The Comeback, Ruthless Reviews, The Hollywood Reporter and more. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Movie you should buy.
"Top Gun" is filled with intricately choreographed flying sequences and adrenaline-filled heroics. Plenty of action scenes and stunts will keep viewers engaged. The movie also features Tom Cruise in one of the most iconic roles of his career. In our analysis of 134 expert reviews, the Paramount Top Gun placed 2nd when we looked at the top 10 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note July 8, 2019:
Checkout The Best Movie for a detailed review of all the top movies.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
A heart-pounding combination of action, music and incredible aerial photography helped make Top Gun the blockbuster hit. Top Gun takes a look at the danger and excitement that awaits every pilot at the Navy's prestigious fighter weapons school. Tom Cruise is superb as Lt. Pete "Maverick" Mitchell, a daring young flyer who's out to become the best. And Kelly McGillis sizzles as the civilian instructor who teaches Maverick a few things you can't learn in a classroom.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Movies
While watching new movies in the theater comes with lots of excitement, there’s nothing quite like curling up on the couch to watch a movie at home. In many cases, watching a movie at home is far cheaper than going to the theater, especially if you have several movie-watching friends. But adding in some popcorn and sodas, the whole evening can cost an arm and a leg!
When you watch a movie at home, you have the benefit of having control. At the theater, the movie stops for no one. If you miss a line, for example, you can’t replay the crucial scene you missed. At home, on the other hand, you have the freedom to re-watch lines or scenes when you need more time to figure out what is happening. For those that need frequent bathroom breaks, you can easily pause the movie at home, whereas you may miss pivotal scenes when you have to run out of the theater.
At the theater, you’re surrounded by all sorts of people. Some are loud and obnoxious and can ruin your night with spoilers or unnecessary commentary. Having to deal with people kicking the back of your seat or throwing popcorn at the screen is no fun either. When you’re at home, you can choose who you get to watch the movie with. If you’re in the mood to be alone, you can do that too. That’s not an option you get at the theater!
An important part of the movie-watching experience is the snacks! It’s almost impossible to sit through a full movie without munching on something crunchy or sweet. At the theater, you’re limited to whatever they sell. It’s rare to find things outside of the realm of normal, which includes popcorn, candy and sodas. At home, you can eat whatever you choose with your movie. Some people even create themed snacks that complement the plot of the movie to get really into the storyline.
DYWM Fun Fact
Did you know that the first-ever motion-picture film was made long ago in 1888? “Roundhay Garden Scene” is a short movie, only 2.11 seconds long, directed by French inventor Louis Le Prince. The black-and-white silent scene of four people walking in a garden actually holds the title in the Guinness Book of Records as the oldest surviving film in existence.
A few years later, in 1895, another black-and-white silent short film of a train pulling into a train station caused quite the commotion when it was shown to audiences. “Arrival of a Train” was directed by The Lumière Brothers. Film was such a novelty back then that people were almost frightened of it. Legend says that as the film showed the train coming towards the camera, members of the audience screamed in terror and ran to the back of the room in a panic.
The Movie Buying Guide
- The most important part of selecting which movie to watch at home is the plot. It’s crucial to pick a movie that is about something that interests you. “The Passion of the Christ” is an emotional and captivating retelling of the final twelve hours of the life of Jesus Christ on the day of his crucifixion. On the other hand, “Top Gun” is about the Navy’s prestigious fighter weapons school. It follows the adventures of Lt. Pete “Maverick” Mitchell as he aims to be the best he can be. “Deadpool 2” is about the wisecracking and extremely sarcastic superhero, who joins forces with other powerful do-gooders to help save his friend Russell from a genetically enhanced futuristic soldier. In “Iron Man 2,” Tony Stark must navigate the increasing pressure from everyone to share his technology with the military. Now that everyone knows who Iron Man is, the stakes are different for him.
- Sometimes, the plot of the movie isn’t as important as the genre of the film. For some people, it’s more exciting to choose a film based on the kind of movie it is. Movies often follow similar tropes, themes and storylines based on the kind of genre the movie falls into. “The Passion of the Christ” is a historical drama, unlike “Top Gun,” which is an action film. Both “Deadpool 2” and “Iron Man 2” are superhero movies, full of action and adventure. However, “Deadpool 2” can also be considered a comedy, while “Iron Man 2” is more dramatic and serious.
- Another important factor to consider when choosing which movie to watch at home is the length. Some movies can be up to three hours long while others are a short 90 minutes. That’s why it’s wise to check the running time of a movie to make sure you have enough time to watch it. For example, “The Passion of the Christ” runs 2 hours and 6 minutes, while “Top Gun” is 1 hour and 49 minutes. “Deadpool 2” is 1 hour and 59 minutes and “Iron Man 2” is 2 hours and 4 minutes.
- One of the major reasons people choose to watch movies at home instead of the theater is cost. If you have Amazon Prime, you can watch “The Passion of the Christ” and “Iron Man 2” for free. You can rent “Top Gun” for under $5 and buy it for under $15. If it’s “Deadpool 2” you’re after, you can buy it for under $20.
- The rating of a movie may affect whether you choose to watch it at home, depending on your age or the ages of the people you’re watching with. “The Passion of the Christ” and “Deadpool 2” are both rated R, which means that they are not for people under the age of 17 as it contains adult material that is not suitable for children. On the other hand, “Iron Man 2” is rated PG 13, which means that parents should be very cautious showing this movie to children under the age of 13. “Top Gun” is rated PG, which suggests that is suitable for most children with parental guidance.
- You may want to pick a movie based on how much other viewers have liked it. If you’re going to invest a couple of hours of your time, it’s nice to know that it will be worth it. In this case, “The Passion of the Christ,” “Top Gun,” “Deadpool 2” and “Iron Man 2” are all top-rated flicks, so they are all well-liked by their audiences.