Thule Passage Trunk Mount Carrier
Last updated date: May 3, 2019
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top 1 Bike Racks and dug through the reviews from 8 of the most popular review sites including BestReviews, Parking Day, Car Care Total, Pro Car Reviews, 5 Product Reviews, Fitness Equipment Reviews, Gearing Out, MTN Bikes and more. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Bike Rack you should buy.
In our analysis of 69 expert reviews, the Thule Thule Passage Trunk Mount Carrier placed 9th when we looked at the top 10 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note August 19, 2019:
Checkout The Best Car Bike Rack for a detailed review of all the top bike racks.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
Entry level strap rack featuring Thule's Stay-Put anti-sway cages and patented FitDial hub for precise fit and fold down arms.Thule Fit General Rule: Thule Strap Racks Have Been Designed To Fit Vehicles With Standard Factory Installed Spoilers, Unless Otherwise Specified In Our Fit Guide. Please Note, Thule Cannot Be Responsible For Fits On Vehicles With Aftermarket Spoilers. The Thule Passage Bike Trunk Mount Carrier is an easy-to-install and use trunk rack carrier with value-added features that make it the perfect choice for an up-and-coming and family oriented cyclists. Designed for either two or three bikes stowed at the rear exterior of your vehicle it features rubber cradles that protect bike frames while holding them securely, patented FitDial hub adjustments that provide the perfect fit to your vehicle, arms that twist down when not in use, an anti-sway feature to prevent bike to bike contact and narrow cradle arms that hold a wider range of bike frames including smaller child frames. The Thule Passage 2-Bike and 3-Bike Trunk Mount Carriers have two and three bicycle carrying capacity. They utilizes Thule's easy-to-use, patented FitDial hub adjustment system for a perfect fit to your vehicle exterior, quick installation and an exclusive push-button feature for for attaching and detaching carrier arms, as well as twisting them to the side then down so they are out of your way when not in use. They also feature soft rubberized cradles that lock down bikes while still allowing complete adjustment along the bike arm, and no-sway Cages that drastically minimize frame movement to keep your bicycles from colliding. The Thule Passage also provides you with a super-stable fit to your vehicle with six straps, a classic black finish that looks great on any and every vehicle and a maximum carrying capacity of 70 lbs. Trunk mount carriers do not require a roof rack, are easy to install and offer easy access to bikes. This makes them common, especially with new cyclists and families, but they can also be one of the least stable and awkward options on the road, sometimes leading to bike-on-bike and bike-to-vehicle contact and presenting problems with parking. The Thule Passage Bike Trunk Mount Carrier does away with these issues with its no-sway, no hassle usability. It quickly secures to trunk and/or hatchback seams with multiple straps just like other carriers in its class, but also contains unique setup features. The first of these is a wing adjustment knob and FitDial combo with recommended numerical positions for specific vehicles. This limits the trial and error in how the carrier should lay against your vehicle. Once this optimal fit position is confirmed it is locked into place with easy to turn wing adjustment knobs. Then there is the one-button connection feature for carrier arms, allowing for instantaneous installation, removal and maneuvering of the arms to the side then down and out of the way for parking situations with the carrier on, but empty of bikes. It also features narrow cradle arms, capable of holding a wider range of bike frames including smaller child frames. Most impressive though is the no-sway cage feature. Attaching and extending below each of the rubberized cradles that support your bike frame and attach to the carrier arms, no-sway attachments dramatically reduce bike frame movement front-to-back and side-to-side.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Bike Racks
Riding a bicycle is a fun, healthy activity that can be enjoyed by those of all ages and abilities. Most people who enjoy spending time outdoors will tell you bike riding is a must-do no matter where you are. It’s a great way to explore new terrain, work on fitness, spend time outside and bond with friends.
But riding around your neighborhood gets old after a while, and getting your bike from point A to point B is always a concern. If you don’t have a truck bed with room for bike storage, a bike rack is your solution.
These handy contraptions allow you to secure a bicycle (the Yakima Ridgeback Hitch Mounted Bike Rack holds four) to the back of your truck, SUV or car. This way, you won’t have to fully dismantle the bicycle or buy a trailer to tote them around.
There are a number of different kinds of bike racks on the market. The racks reviewed here are all the hitch-mounted style. That means these racks attach to the trailer hitch located at the back of the vehicle. Because trailer hitches are built to carry heavy items, you won’t need to be too concerned about weight distribution. Hitch-mounted bike racks are a dependable way to go.
Bikes on a hitch-mounted bike rack are held a few inches from the back of the vehicle, which significantly reduces the risk of them scratching your car windows or paint.
Your vehicle may or may not already have a trailer hitch attached. If not, head to your local parts store to purchase one. Then, you can use any of these bike racks to bring your bicycle wherever you go hassle-free.
DYWM Fun Fact
During cold weather, when biking isn’t at the top of your to-do list, you can still utilize your bike rack for winter sports. Hitch-mounted bicycle racks can often be adapted to carry skis and snowboards. This may require an added accessory (sold at bike stores or online), but it’s worth it for the year-round athlete. Plus, it gets rid of the need to purchase a whole new rack for your winter activities. When it’s time to break out the bikes, you can remove the ski and snowboard rack adapter with a few tools and some elbow grease. Then, you can store it until next time.
The Bike Rack Buying Guide
- Drivers should be aware that carrying bikes using a hitch-mounted bike rack will extend the length of the vehicle. That’s important to keep in mind when backing up, parking and maneuvering the vehicle in tight spaces.
- If you are a casual rider and would like to be able to remove your rack easily and often, the weight of the bike rack is crucial. A lighter bike rack also means better gas mileage for your vehicle. The Allen Sports Deluxe rack is a good option that maintains both a lightweight and heavy-duty construction.
- Trunk access is always a concern with bike racks, especially for those who are using them on road trips. It would be a hassle to have to remove your rack every time you stopped to grab something from the trunk. The Kuat 2 Bike Beta Rack, Yakima Ridgeback Hitch Bike Rack and Allen Sports Deluxe Hitch Mounted Bike Rack all have a feature that allows the rack to tilt, eliminating the need for its removal and allowing free access to the trunk.
- Having your bike so close to your car may cause some anxiety. What if the bike falls and damages the car? That could be a costly fix. There are accessories, called swing away racks, that prevent this issue.
- Be sure to always wear a helmet when riding a bicycle. Like wearing a seatbelt in the car, strapping on a protective helmet is an extremely easy way to safeguard yourself in case of an accident. It doesn’t matter how experienced you are, accidents do happen. Some states even have helmet laws in place, heavily penalizing violators.
- With most bike racks, you will still need to use your own cable bike lock to reduce the risk of theft if leaving them on the rack overnight or while you are away from your car. While these locks don’t completely eliminate the chance of theft, they highly reduce the risk. Casual thieves won’t typically take the time or effort to cut a bike lock. Cable bicycle locks are relatively inexpensive and can be bought at any bicycle shop.
- If your vehicle has a spare tire on the back, you will probably need a hitch extension to install a hitch-mounted bike rack. This will move the bikes and the rack even further out from the back of your vehicle, so they don’t rub against the spare tire. Hitch extensions can be found at any auto parts retailer.