Thirteen Chefs Wood Cheese and Serving Board
Last updated date: October 24, 2019
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top Cheese Boards and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Cheese Board you should buy.
In our analysis of 86 expert reviews, the Thirteen Chefs Thirteen Chefs Wood Cheese and Serving Board placed 8th when we looked at the top 10 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note November 18, 2019:
Checkout The Best Cheese Board for a detailed review of all the top cheese boards.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
From The Manufacturer
Tramanto - Cucina di Oliva Make your cheese board stand out with our uniquely olive wood cheese boards by Tramanto. Featuring natural olive wood, our boards feature an exotic burl grain that is stunning to look at. Our cross section cuts often include the bark, giving a raw edge look and appearance that is both organic and modern. These cheese boards add just the right amount of uniqueness to your kitchen and you will love how they look. Measures approximately 16" by 8". Note that each piece is unique and naturally cut from real olive trees, so each piece will have variations in size, grain and color. We guarantee each piece is beautiful however and you if you are not satisfied, you may return for a 100% refund or replacement. A Product of Thirteen Chefs(tm) *Photos shown of other Tramanto products are for demonstration purposes only. Utensil set not included in sale.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Cheese Boards
Charcuterie boards are perfect for entertaining. Also known as cheese boards, they’re usually made of wood and sometimes come with a handle for easy transport. But today’s consumers don’t want to invest in an item they can only use for one food type. For that reason, manufacturers are creating cheese boards that can be used for a wide range of food types, from meats and fruits to crackers and bread.
Whether you’re buying a cheese board as a gift or for yourself, it’s important to put safety as a top priority. When you’re using a tray for food storage, bacteria can become a health hazard. You’ll quickly notice many cheese boards are made with bamboo wood, which is naturally antimicrobial. Although there are other types of cheese boards, bamboo is a safe bet.
Likely the first thing you notice as you start shopping is that each board seems to have a different design. Some are built with grooves ideal for displaying crackers and bread, among other items. You can set your cheeses and meats in the center, then surround them with crackers on the side. Some trays also come with a grooved area ideal for displaying nuts or fruit.
Accessories are another consideration. You may already have knives you prefer to use, but some cheese boards have built-in drawers fully stocked with every type of knife you’ll need. If you take your cheese board to outside events or a separate area of your house, you may like having dedicated knives.
One issue many consumers have had with cheese boards is damage to their knives. Some boards can dull or damage the blades. It’s important to look for a cheese board that’s tough enough to survive years of use while also keeping your knives safe. Look for a smooth surface that will work with your blades rather than against them.
DWYM Fun Fact
Cheese has been around for at least 4,000 years, but its origins are debated. Legend says cheese was invented by accident when an Arabian merchant was storing his milk in a pouch made from a sheep’s stomach while traveling. After all those hours in the sun, the milk began to separate, forming curds and whey, similar in texture to what we now know as cottage cheese. That night, he tried the results and found that he liked the taste of the curd. Cheesemaking was later brought to Europe, allegedly by travelers visiting from Asia. There, it continued to flourish and became a mainstream food, with pilgrims bringing it to America in 1620.
The Cheese Board Buying Guide
- The first thing to consider is how you’ll be using your cheese board. If you want a board with a grooved area to hold crackers, look at the Bambüsi Bamboo Cheese Board Set or Dynamic Gear Bamboo Cheese Board. But what’s really useful for this is the Royal Craft Wood Bamboo Cheese Board, which has two separate, dipped areas for holding crackers, nuts or other snacks.
- The Royal Craft Wood Chopping Board is more cutting board than cheese tray. That means the groove around the outer rim is too shallow for storing crackers. It’s designed to absorb juices while you’re cutting meat.
- The serving handles on the Royal Craft Wood Chopping Board can come in handy if you’re carrying your tray after you’ve prepared it.
- A slide-out drawer can be useful for storing knives. The Bambüsi Bamboo Cheese Board Set and Dynamic Gear Bamboo Cheese Board not only include slide-out drawers, but also knife sets.
- Bamboo boards are naturally antimicrobial to keep your food safe. The Royal Craft Wood Chopping Board is made from bamboo grown without any pesticides. It’s also BPA free.
- Not all woods are exactly alike, even within the same type. The Royal Craft Wood Chopping Board is made from Moso bamboo, which is known for its durability.
- Another thing to assess before buying a cheese board is exactly how much room you’ll need. A larger cheese board can be great for entertaining large groups, but that also makes it difficult to store. The Royal Craft Wood Chopping Board is the largest, followed closely by the Royal Craft Wood Bamboo Cheese Board. The Dynamic Gear Bamboo Cheese Board and the Bambüsi Bamboo Cheese Board Set are smaller and more storage-friendly, but these boards may not be big enough for larger gatherings.