Strathmore 400 Series Heavyweight Watercolor Pad, 12-Sheet
Last updated: August 6, 2023
Our Review Process
Don't Waste Your Money is focused on helping you make the best purchasing decision. Our team of experts spends hundreds of hours analyzing, testing, and researching products so you don't have to. Learn more.
We looked at the top Watercolor Pads and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Watercolor Pad you should buy.
The felt finish of this watercolor pad, along with its page thickness, means it soaks up your watercolors better than competitors. This pad contains 12 sheets, but you can buy them in packs to save money. The pad is made in the U.S. for those who prefer to buy domestically.In our analysis of 18 expert reviews, the Strathmore 400 Series Heavyweight Watercolor Pad, 12-Sheet placed 4th when we looked at the top 6 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
STRATHMORE 400 SERIES WATERCOLOR – 140 lb. intermediate grade watercolor paper is popular with watercolorists of all levels. This versatile, felt finished paper is ideal for mastering watercolor techniques or finished pieces. This item is manufactured in United States.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Watercolor Pad Rankings
If you’re an artist, you know the importance of the materials you use. High-quality paints are essential for creations that jump right off the page. But the surface you’re painting on comes into play, too. For artists using watercolor pads, the paper inside those pads can either help or hinder your journey toward creating your next masterpiece.
If you use pencils, you’ll also want to make sure you choose a paper that can stand up to your eraser. Look for papers made from long fibers that will erase cleanly. Acid-free, cold-press paper can handle multiple washings. Thicker, higher-quality paper will also better soak up the pigments in your paint.
As you’re pricing around, keep in mind not only quality but quantity. It can be easy to be drawn in by a lower-priced pad, only to realize later that it only comes with a small number of sheets. A much thicker pad will last longer, saving you the inconvenience of having to go back to the art store.
Perforated pages can also come in handy when you’ve finished your piece of art. If you want to extract it from the notebook to display or give away, pages that rip out won’t have that smooth edge. A perforation will give you a handy page that you can show off as the piece of art it is.
For some artists, sustainability is also an important factor. Some watercolor pads are built with the environment in mind, so you can definitely narrow your list by looking for that feature. You can also find watercolor pads that are made in the U.S. if that’s a priority for you.
- When it comes to paper, it’s the little things that make a difference. Some pads use long fibers in their page construction, which means they hold up well while working. If you’re also using your pad for pencil drawings, you won’t have to worry about wearing down the paper fibers when you erase.
- The paper of some models is acid-free and cold press, which ensures it will last through even repeated washings. It’s also heavyweight, 140-pound paper with plenty of texture to help it soak up the pigments in your paint.
- Art professors helped develop some paper pads, designing them specifically for the needs of art students. The perforated, true-size sheets are perfect for neatly removing the pad to display. It holds up well whether you’re using pencil, charcoal or watercolor. It isn’t quite as absorbent as competitors, though, which means you’ll have to allow your drawings a little more time to dry.
- The pages of some pads are soaked in pure natural gelatin, then air-dried. That process enhances your paint, giving it a luster. It also helps keep tearing and lint to a minimum.
- When you’re comparing prices, keep in mind the number of pages you get for that cost.
- If the environment is important to you, it may help to know that some pads are made using sustainable processes.