STARPOINT Expandable Wireless Doorbell
Last updated date: September 19, 2019
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Doorbells and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Doorbell you should buy.
Editor's Note September 19, 2019:
Checkout The Best Doorbell for a detailed review of all the top doorbells.
Doorbells like the STARPOINT Expandable Wireless Doorbell are easier to install than previous generations of doorbells. Simply attach it to the doorframe, plug receivers into any outlet and you're ready to go. This doorbell is battery powered, so it's easier to install than the type you have to wire.
In our analysis of 65 expert reviews, the STARPOINT STARPOINT Expandable Wireless Doorbell placed 2nd when we looked at the top 11 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
AS SEEN ON BUSINESS INSIDER, FOX, ABC, NBC & CBS News - "It's built well, and it has a nice minimalist style" - Business Insider, 08/21/15. Our doorbells are great looking, loud, and reliable.DOWNLOAD OUR "10 MORE WAYS TO USE SADOTECH DOORBELLS” GUIDE - Did you know that our customers use SadoTech doorbells to train dogs, teachers love using it to quiet down classrooms, seniors and disabled use SadoTech doorbells as assisted living call pagers, and more! SCROLL DOWN on this page to the Technical Specs section below and click the Application Guide link to DOWNLOAD the PDF file. Open it with Adobe Acrobat Reader. WANT TO LISTEN TO OUR CHIMES/RINGTONES BEFORE YOU BUY? GO AHEAD - Just SCROLL DOWN to the Technical Specs section below and click on the Specification Guide link to DOWNLOAD the PDF file. Open it with Adobe Acrobat Reader to play all 52 ringtones. WeÕre proud to announce weÕve developed a custom music chip in our doorbells that includes carefully selected. Over 50+ different ringtones. Operating range of over 500 ft (1000 ft in open area). 4 levels of adjustable volume from 25db - 110db. The STARPOINT L Series is a CONFIGURABLE and EXPANDABLE doorbell system that can EASILY ADD on 20+ more extra receivers, transmitter buttons, motion sensors and door sensors. Custom build your own system that fits for your needs. Easy to use pair-able random generated frequency code technology allows you to mix and match L Series components easily with one or multiple receivers. Multiple receivers can be configured to RING WITH DIFFERENT chimes/ringtones to let you know which transmitter was triggered _- a very convenient feature for multiple doorway entries.Built in receiver MEMORY feature RETAINS doorbell chime/ringtone selection even when receiver is unplugged or powered off. Long range operation with the receiver at over 500 feet. Base start kit includes 2 plugin receivers and 2 remote transmitter buttons, double sided stickers, anchors, screws, A23 battery is included.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Our Expert Consultant
Founder and CEO of One Hour Smart Home
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Doorbells
A smart doorbell can be a great way to keep an eye on your front porch. Whether you’re watching for package theft or you just want to be able to answer the door from wherever you are, the right doorbell can serve that purpose. Thieves have grown savvy to spotting smart doorbells, upping the chances that they’ll skip your home, especially if you pair it with a security camera.
But there’s another benefit to a smart doorbell. If you are home and that door-to-door salesman stops by, you can answer without going to the door, which may make it easier to cut the conversation short. With most doorbells, every second of activity at your front door will be recorded and saved, which means you’ll have a record if you ever need it.
All in all, these little devices can be pretty handy.
“Some smart doorbells will also integrate with other smart devices like Alexa to live stream your smart video doorbell footage on your Alexa devices with a screen or fire TV compatible devices. Smart doorbells can also be integrated with security systems for advanced home protection,” says James Both, founder and CEO of One Hour Smart Home.
But some customers still prefer a more traditional doorbell. If you’re in the market for one that simply chimes to notify you that someone’s arrived, you’ll be surprised to find how easy newer ones are to install. If it’s battery-powered, you only have to hang it, plug in one or more receivers around the house, and you’re ready to go.
One thing to look at if you’re shopping for a smart doorbell is how recordings will work. Both points out that some smart doorbells require a monthly subscription in order to access the recorded footage, so keep that in mind when you’re budgeting for a new doorbell.
With so many smart devices now, consumers are looking for items that can communicate with everything else in their house. If you already have an Alexa, look for one that can connect up. You may not know how you’ll use it now, but it will come in handy down the road.
One of the most popular doorbell integrations, though, is with security cameras. You can buy cameras from the same brand that make it easy to integrate, but you may also find that many doorbells are built to work with standard home security cameras. These cameras can come in handy for capturing activity in your back yard or your driveway.
Another important consideration is whether your doorbell begins recording when motion is detected, or it records constantly throughout the day. Obviously, motion-detection cameras are easier on your utility bill, but those that record constantly ensure you never miss a thing. If you ever have to look back to see if a particular car passed your house, for instance, an always-recording doorbell will have you covered.
The Doorbell Buying Guide
- There are two popular choices when it comes to doorbells today. Wireless doorbells behave similarly to the doorbells you’ve always used. You’ll simply set the doorbell up and plug at least one speaker in inside your home. When someone arrives, you’ll be notified. A serious competitor, though, growing in popularity, is the smart doorbell. Brands like Nest and Ring have become well-known in the field for a reason. With a smart doorbell, your phone notifies you someone is at your door and you can answer it, no matter where you are. You’ll speak to the person at your door through a speaker built into the doorbell, and they’ll be able to respond.
- If you already have smart devices in your home, it’s important to consider compatibility if you choose a smart doorbell. The Ring Video Doorbell Pro and Ring Video Doorbell 2 will work with Alexa, Google Home and IFTTT. If you have a smart lock, check which brands work with Ring doorbells. If you have a smart lock made by Kevo, LockState, Kisi or Lockitron, you should be set. This compatibility means you can trigger certain actions within your home when someone’s at your door. The Nest Hello Doorbell is compatible with the Nest Cam IQ Indoor and Google Home speakers.
- In most cases, the quality of the video feed may not matter so much. However, if you ever need to capture those intricate details, good video quality will come in handy. The Ring Video Doorbell Pro and Ring Video Doorbell 2 both record in 1080 HD video, while the Nest Hello Doorbell boasts HDR video.
- Traditionally, when someone rang your doorbell, a chime inside the house let you know about it. Wireless doorbells like the STARPOINT Expandable Wireless Doorbell continue that tradition, giving you two receivers that you can plug into any electrical outlet in your home. Smart doorbells like the Ring Video Doorbell Pro, Nest Hello Doorbell and Ring Video Doorbell 2 send those notifications to your smartphone. You can set up your phone to answer, even when you’re away from home.
- As important as functionality is, it’s also important that your chosen doorbell serve as a great complement to your front door. It’s the entry point to your home, so you’ll be making a first impression with it. The Ring Video Doorbell Pro lets you choose from four faceplates, all included in the box. It also has a slim design that you may find preferable to the bulkier design of the Ring Video Doorbell 2.
- Ideally, your doorbell will be in a well-sheltered area, protected from the elements. However, that’s not always easy. The Ring Video Doorbell Pro and Ring Video Doorbell 2 are designed to be weatherproof, withstanding various types of precipitation. The STARPOINT Expandable Wireless Doorbell is better for front doors that get very little exposure to the elements.
- Front door activity doesn’t always happen during daytime hours. To capture that after-dark video, you’ll need a smart doorbell with infrared night vision. Both the Ring Video Doorbell Pro and Ring Video Doorbell 2 have that feature.
- Installation isn’t always easy, but some doorbells are battery-powered, which means you don’t have to wire them to your home. The STARPOINT Expandable Wireless Doorbell and Ring Video Doorbell 2 are battery powered, while you’ll need to wire the Ring Video Doorbell Pro and Nest Hello Doorbell. The Ring Video Doorbell Pro comes with a power kit to make installation easier.
- If you choose a smart doorbell, all those videos you record will need to be stored somewhere. The Ring Video Doorbell Pro and Ring Video Doorbell 2 require a monthly subscription if you want to save all your recordings to the cloud.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide