Splashin’kids Inflatable Tummy Time Water Mat
Last updated date: December 23, 2020
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Tummy Time Products and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Tummy Time Product you should buy.
Update as December 23, 2020:
Checkout The Best Tummy Time Product for a detailed review of all the top tummy time products.
The Splashin'kids Inflatable Tummy Time Water Mat takes tummy time distraction to a new level. The mat is filled with water and brightly colored fish toys which baby can feel through the mat. The eye-catching graphics and unique feel help keep babies engaged during tummy time.
In our analysis of 33 expert reviews, the Splashin'kids Inflatable Tummy Time Water Mat placed 10th when we looked at the top 12 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
mommy and me BABY PLAY MAT WATER baby toys 3 6 months baby toys 12 18 months baby toy 7 months baby bath 9 months and up!
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Our Expert Consultant
Parenting Pro and Safe-Sleep Expert
Kate Desmond is a writer and infant safe-sleep expert. She has spent the last eight years working as the marketing director for Charlie’s Kids Foundation, a nonprofit that aims to educate families about SIDS and safe sleep. In that role, she travels around the country learning and educating caregivers and providers on the latest and greatest safe-sleep information to prevent infant death.
As mom to two elementary-aged daughters, she spends hours researching the best and safest products for her own kids. She is quick to get in the weeds with other mamas, and uses humor to cope with parenting woes from potty-training to teaching kids to read. She writes about the ups and downs of parenting on her blog.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Tummy Time Products
While it’s important for your little bundle of joy to sleep on their back, this means that they don’t have many chances to develop their neck, back and arm muscles. Plus, many babies spend a lot of time in car seats and swings, further decreasing the amount of time they spend on their tummies. That’s why providing your baby with tummy time is increasingly important.
When infants spend time lying on their tummies, they develop the muscles they need to eventually roll over, crawl and sit up. Through tummy time, babies can fortify their trunk muscles, strengthen neck and head control, and improve the muscles in their upper body. If babies spend most of their time on their backs, they don’t have the chance to develop these muscles which are so integral to their physical growth and future mobility.
Another important reason to focus on tummy time is that it helps reduce the chances of your infant developing a flat spot on the back of their head. Since doctors promote infants sleeping on their backs for safety reasons, plagiocephaly — the flattening of the head — can occur since babies’ skulls are still soft and forming.
Even so, you’ll want to stay close to your baby as she plays and make sure she doesn’t fall asleep on her tummy.
“Whatever tummy time products you purchase, spend time with your baby while they play and make sure to place them on their back for sleep,” says Kate Desmond, our resident parenting expert.
Did you know you can start tummy time with your infant when they are as young as two weeks old? At this age, all they need is a few sessions that are 30 seconds long. As they grow older, you can gradually increase the amount of time they spend on their tummies.
Keep in mind that most babies don’t like tummy time initially. It is a new and uncomfortable position at first, and it takes practice to hold their heads up on their own. Your baby may fuss the first few times you place them on their tummy. That’s why having some playful distractions can help your baby to spend more time in this position. When your baby has something fun to look at and play with while on their tummy, they will start to enjoy the activity more and more. At two months old, you can aim for tummy time sessions that are five minutes long. By four months, try to encourage tummy time that is around 15 minutes long a couple of times a day.
“A baby play mat can be a great product to keep tummy time clean and interesting,” says Desmond. “These mats often have built-in features, but additional products can keep tummy time fun for even longer. Just like tweens with their selfies, babies love to look at themselves so tummy time products with mirrors are a great place to start. Anything with water or movement can also keep babies’ attention, so a water mat with plenty of fish and sparkle can be really fun.”
The Tummy Time Product Buying Guide
- When you’re looking for a tummy time product, it’s best to find one that will captivate your little bundle of joy. Some babies like bright and bold colors, while other babies are more interested in things they can grab and hold. Some babies prefer looking in a mirror, while others want toys that make a lot of noise. You may have to experiment to see what your little one likes best while on their tummy. The Sassy Tummy Time Floor Mirror is a large true-reflection mirror that attracts your baby’s developing vision. A black and white spinning ball attached to the mirror engages your baby’s need to explore objects by hand. The mirror has an easel back and stands on the floor on its own. The Infantino Prop-A-Pillar Tummy Time & Seated Support is great for babies that need a little extra physical support to get used to tummy time. The c-shaped prop pillows can be placed under your baby’s arms and chest to support them during tummy time. They can also be stacked to help during sitting. The pillow has bright colors and patterns and comes with small dangling toys your baby can grab. The VTech Tummy Time Discovery Pillow provides a comfort pillow that entertains your baby up during tummy time. The brightly colored pillow also lights up and plays music. The Wonder Space Braided Plush Tummy Time Mat provides an extra level of cushioning. It’s soft to the touch and hand made to be extremely durable.
- For newborns who are still developing their ability to hold their head up, having a tummy time product that provides extra support may be beneficial. While the Sassy Tummy Time Floor Mirror doesn’t come with an extra pillow for support, it can be used with a rolled-up blanket placed under the baby’s chest and arms. On the other hand, the Infantino Prop-A-Pillar Tummy Time & Seated Support comes with a special c-shaped pillow that is designed specifically to be used as a prop for your baby to help them build their neck muscles.
- Babies grow and change each day, learning new skills, developing new muscles and gaining new interests. For many parents, it’s important to purchase products that will grow with their baby. When selecting your tummy time product, look for one that your baby can play with as they grow older and learn to roll, crawl and sit. The Sassy Tummy Time Floor Mirror is a great height for babies to use as they crawl and sit up, in addition to being used while they are lying on their tummies. The Infantino Prop-A-Pillar Tummy Time & Seated Support is innovatively designed so that the pillows can be stacked to create a little seat for the baby to sit in as they develop their back muscles.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide