simplehuman Hands-Free Stainless Steel Dual Compartment Recycling Bin
Last updated date: July 1, 2020
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Recycling Bins and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Recycling Bin you should buy.
Editor's Note July 1, 2020:
Checkout The Best Recycling Bin for a detailed review of all the top recycling bins.
The simplehuman 15.3 Gallon Stainless Steel Compartment Recycler is made out of durable stainless steel. Designed for indoor use, the bin features a lower petal that opens the lid when you step on it. This way, your hands are free to toss in a few cans. Each bin has two compartments, so you can use one for trash and the other for your recyclables.
In our analysis of 52 expert reviews, the simplehuman simplehuman Hands-Free Stainless Steel Dual Compartment Recycling Bin placed 9th when we looked at the top 13 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
The Perfect Stainless Steel Trash Can. Ideal for the kitchen, the office or anywhere you need to throw away rubbish in your home, the large simplehuman 58 liter/15. 3 gallon dual compartment rectangular step on garbage can recycler has a brushed stainless steel finish to match your home decor that has a nano-silver clear coat that helps the cans surface resist germs and fingerprints. Trash and Recycling All in One PlaceDual compartments make it easy to sort your trash and recycling in one convenient place with one side for trash and one side with a recycling bin for all your recyclables. A Faster Liner ChangeThis can also features an innovative 'liner pocket' that stores and dispenses simplehuman custom fit liners from inside the garbage can so they are always at your fingertips, which makes changing liners quick and easy. It also has a liner rim that flips down to hide the trash bag and keep it secure and harder for dogs to get into. I'm the Strong and Silent TypeThe strong wide steel pedal means the can is hands-free and is designed to last 150, 000 steps that's more than 20 steps a day for 20 years, and simplehuman's patented lid shox technology ensures that the lid closes softly in a smooth, quiet manner. Custom Fit Trash Can Linerssimplehuman Code H trash can liners are a perfect fit for this trash can. They are made from extra-durable plastic with thick double seams to prevent rips and tears and have been rated among the top in strength comparable to other major brands. Extra strong to keep garbage in the bag not on the floor or the bottom of your trash can. Brand Story We design tools that help people become more efficient at home. Day to day life has room for improvement. That's the basic thinking behind simplehuman. Many activities in our daily routine are so basic that we take them for granted. Washing our hands, cleaning up after a meal, grooming and prepping our appearance. Through innovation and new technologies, we find ways to streamline these simple tasks. We call our products tools for efficient living.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Recycling Bins
It’s important that everyone does their part to protect the environment. One easy way to do this is to recycle glass, plastic, metal and paper using recycling bins. Some counties provide outdoor recycling bins, while others do not. Of course, you’ll still need indoor bins to keep the recyclables organized.
Find out whether your township requires you to separate plastic and paper products. If they don’t, you’ll only need one dedicated bin for your kitchen. If they do, look for a model like the ANUANT Compartment Container Recycling Bin, 4-Piece, which has four compartments within one bin.
When it comes to outdoor recycling containers, you want a bin that is quality made and able to withstand all types of weather. Look for a model that is also constructed with a UV inhibitor that protects the container from fading or becoming cracked from constant sun exposure.
Should the outdoor recycling bin require a liner, check for integrated cinches that help hold the liner place. This feature will also make it easier to remove the liner when you’re ready to replace it with a new one.
Recycling bins that have a lid are ideal, as they keep critters from getting into your trash. Some models have a locking mechanism to keep the lids in place. Others have a feature that keeps the lid propped open while filling or emptying it.
Look for an outdoor recycling container with wheels if you have a long driveway and dragging the bin to the curb is unrealistic. It’s best if the wheels are durable and outfitted with performance treads that work well on multiple surfaces.
Another option is to go with recycling containers that can be stacked on top of each other. For example, the Recycling Rules Stackable Handle Recycling Bin, 4-Pack comes with four bins that are stackable. As an added bonus, these bins can also be used indoors to store toys or in a garage to hold tools.
While recycling containers are available in a wide range of colors, such as yellow, green, blue, gray and white, you’ll want to make sure they are outfitted with the universal symbol for recycling before you buy them. This is the only way the trash men will be able to distinguish your recycling cans from your regular trash cans.
The Recycling Bin Buying Guide
- Since your recycling bins hold trash, they will become dirty and smelly over time. Use a garden hose to give the recycling cans an initial rinse. Next, fill the bin a quarter of the way up with warm water and a squirt of dish soap. Add a cup of distilled white vinegar to help clean and deodorize the bin and then scrub the inside and outside of the bin. Rinse clean and allow to air dry.
- It’s always best to rinse cans and bottles out before tossing them in your outdoor recycling bin. This helps deter outdoor pests, like raccoons and possums from getting into your trash.
- Take a few extra seconds to flatten any cardboard and food boxes before placing them in your recycling bin. You’ll be able to fit much more in that way, which means you won’t need as many bins.
- Check to see if you live in one of the 10 states that pay for recycled cans. If you do, you may want to set these items aside and take them directly to the recycling center. Every penny adds up.
- Believe it or not, not all plastics are recyclable. Your city’s website should list which plastics it accepts. If you can’t find a list, take a look at the plastic’s number. Most centers tend to shy away from numbers 3, 6 and 7. If you have a number 1 (soft), 4 or 5, call the city and ask whether they accept those plastics in their recycling program, as some cities take these, while others don’t.
- When comparing recycling bin prices, you’ll need to take into consideration extra features and whether the can is meant for indoors or outdoors. The ANUANT Compartment Container Recycling Bin, 4-Piece is made from a soft material, and therefore the most affordable. In the middle, you’ll find the Rubbermaid Slim Jim Plastic Recycling Bin and the Genuine Joe Rectangular Recycling Bin, as these have a more solid construction. On the higher end is the Recycling Rules Stackable Handle Recycling Bin, 4-Pack, which are stackable.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide