Sceptre U518CV-UM 4K UHD Ultra Slim LED TV, 50-Inch
Last updated date: July 24, 2020
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top 50-Inch TVs and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best 50-Inch TV you should buy.
Editor's Note July 24, 2020:
Checkout The Best 50-Inch TVs for a detailed review of all the top 50-inch tvs.
If you enjoy a good action flick, this 50-inch TV is your best bet. It comes with UHD upscaling, as well as motion estimation and motion compensation. The TV is also outfitted with a mobile high-definition link that allows you to transfer what you're streaming on your smartphone to the television screen.
In our analysis of 16 expert reviews, the Sceptre Sceptre 4K UHD Ultra Slim LED TV, 50-Inch placed 4th when we looked at the top 10 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
Enter an unrivaled world of color variation, impressive contrasts, and image detail with 4K resolution (3840 x 2160). Sceptre 4K delivers a superior picture with 8 million pixels, four times more than a 1080P Full HDTV. With sharper contrasts of light and darks, LED display delivers a vast array of rich colors, ensuring that moving images have never been so pleasing to the eyes. Breathing new life into the colors of older movies and shows, UHD Upscaling upgrades SD, HD, FHD resolution nearly to the level of the masterful 4K picture quality the UHD display has to offer. With MEMC 120 (Motion Estimation and Motion Compensation), all action-packed sequences will flow smoothly from frame to frame, enhancing picture quality for all your favorite sports, video games, and movies. For this 4K UHD TV, connectivity is key. Four HDMI ports each accelerate refresh rate up to 120Hz, ensuring that images are sharply visible even during fast-paced action scenes. MHL is shared with HDMI 1 so tap into all of your latest app obsessions on a big screen. Component ports will support resolutions up to 1080P FHD. Connect to your favorite audio devices with the Optical and LineOut Audio outputs. HDMI 2.0 connects all your favorite devices - game consoles, blu-ray devices, laptops - and delivers the best version of the visual and audio content on the 4K display.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On 50-Inch TVs
By some estimates, the average adult American spends a total of 4.5 hours watching television on a daily basis. This makes sense, since many individuals tune in to check the weather in the morning, get a news update in the afternoon and unwind with their favorite program at the end of a long day. Since you’re sure to make good use of your TV, it’s a good idea to invest in a quality 50-inch TV.
Decide whether you’re interested in purchase a traditional television or a smart TV. The Sceptre 4K UHD Ultra Slim LED TV, 50-Inch, although not a smart TV, has a host of attractive features that are designed to enhance your viewing experience. For example, it’s able to take a High Definition program and vividly enhance it to a 4K resolution that is absolutely stunning. It also comes with motion estimation and motion compensation that enhance the picture quality of action-packed shows, movies and sporting events.
If it’s a smart TV you’re interested in, you’ll want a model that is easy-to-use and set up. The TCL 4K Smart LED Roku TV, 50-Inch fits this bill, as it has a simple interface that even technologically-challenged individuals will be able to navigate. The unit is sleek and modern in design. Users will appreciate the included mobile app, which allows viewers to use their smartphone as a TV remote.
Check the 50-inch smart TV to see what it is compatible with. For example, the Samsung 7 Series 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 50-Inch works with both Alexa and Google Assistant. This allows you to use the television hands-free, which is handy if you’re enjoying a meal and you want to change the channel or you don’t want to get up to fetch the remote to search for your favorite program.
If space is an issue, you’ll want to go with a 50-inch TV that has a slim design, like the Insignia Smart 4K UHD TV, 50-Inch. This smart TV can be mounted on a wall, but it’s also thin, measuring just over 10 inches with the attached stand. That means you can set it on any tabletop, entertainment center or shelf.
The 50-Inch TV Buying Guide
- Just like every other device in your home, your 50-inch TV will benefit from the occasional cleaning. When you’re ready to begin this task, turn the television off and unplug it from the outlet. Grab a microfiber cloth and use it to wipe down the screen. Should the screen be a bit dirtier than you expected, you can dampen the cloth with a bit of distilled water or spray the cloth with a cleaner made specifically for flatscreen televisions. Once the screen is clean, you can spray a new lint-free cloth with an all-purpose cleaner to wipe down the sides and back of the television.
- You’ll need to take extra care when cleaning a television screen that has been coated with an anti-glare material, as these screens are more sensitive.
- Never spray water or a cleaner directly on your TV screen. You risk getting some of the liquid inside the television, which can lead to permanent damage.
- Carefully consider where you’d like to place your 50-inch TV, as the sun can cause an annoying glare on the television screen. If you can’t position the TV away from the path of the sun, you may want to invest in a set of blackout curtains.
- Operating instructions for your 50-inch TV can be found online if you misplace them. Additionally, you can search sites like YouTube for helpful videos on how to set up the exact model television you decide to go with. Many individuals are visual learners and these videos provide step-by-step setup instructions that you can follow with ease.
- If your 50-inch TV comes with a remote control, you’ll need to check whether a set of batteries is included or not. Some models provide starter batteries, while others don’t.
- Some smart TVs allow you to buy an HD antenna, which can be connected to the television for watching live shows and sports programs.
- If the television you’re interested in isn’t a smart TV, you can actually turn it into one by purchasing a Roku 4K streaming stick. The stick is extremely affordable and comes with buttons for popular platforms, like Hulu and Netflix.
- Since the price for a 50-inch TV varies greatly based on design and extra features, you’ll want to consider it as just one of the factors in your overall decision. The TCL 4K Smart LED Roku TV, 50-Inch and the Insignia Smart 4K UHD TV, 50-Inch are among the more affordable models on the market. If you have it in your budget to pay a bit more, you’ll find the Samsung 7 Series 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 50-Inch and the Sceptre 4K UHD Ultra Slim LED TV, 50-Inch are excellent choices.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide