Samsung MU-PA2T0B/AM T5 Hardware Encryption External SSD, 2TB
Last updated date: April 12, 2022
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top External SSDs and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best External SSD you should buy.
Update as May 3, 2022:
Checkout The Best External SSD for a detailed review of all the top external ssds.
This external SSD is perfect for those who are looking for fast read-write speeds. It also has optional password protection and hardware encryption for extra security. The SSD is shock resistant and durable.
In our analysis, the Samsung Samsung T5 Hardware Encryption External SSD, 2TB placed 12th when we looked at the top 14 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
The Samsung T5 Portable SSD has the latest in Samsung V-NAND flash memory technology. Its portable design, blazing fast transfer speeds of up to 540 MB/s, shock resistance, and secure encryption make it the best portable SSD on the market.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On External SSDs
An SSD, or solid-state drive, is an external data storage device for your computer. If you already have a lot of large files stored on your internal hard drive, or if you need a portable storage device that can connect to different devices, then an SSD is a sound option. Consider an SSD like a more sophisticated and advanced version of a USB memory stick.
When looking for an SSD, one of the first things you need to consider is compatibility. You will have to look at which device you want to use the SSD with, such as laptop or desktop, because the type of SSD you need must work with the hardware connections it has. Most slim laptops work with an M.2 form factor SSD, which is shaped like a stick. Some computers and laptops will be able to accommodate the 2.5-inch SSD drive.
Another important element to look at is storage capacity. There are a number of different options, ranging anywhere from 128 gigabytes to four terabytes and above. This will depend on your needs and also on the performance of the SSD. For example, some smaller SSDs in the 128-gigabyte range have much slower performance than their larger counterparts. Plus, the cost difference between this class and the next level is usually negligible, so you may be better off purchasing a larger size in this case.
The External SSD Buying Guide
- When it comes to larger SSD sizes like two terabytes, this is optimal for those who are storing large media files or games. You usually won’t need a larger size than this for personal use. The four terabyte class of SSDs are quite rare and also come with a price premium. This larger range is more for enterprise use, so be sure you really need this amount of storage space when considering this use.
- It can be tempting to focus on the controller of the drive, which acts kind of like the processor in your computer. This plays a big role in performance and speed. However, instead of just focusing on the controller specs, it’s better to look at the performance of the drive overall as there are other factors that can affect the speed.
- For those who are making a considerable investment into an SSD, it’s important to look at longevity and endurance. Most SSDs are made to last between three and five years on average. If you plan on using the SSD for longer than that timeframe, or plan on writing to the drive on a high-frequency basis, then be sure to look for one that has a long-term warranty and high endurance ratings.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Kick-Start Every Morning With Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide