Rubbermaid Commercial Products Brute Tote, 20-Gallon
Last updated date: January 21, 2020
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top Totes (Tubs) and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Tote (Tub) you should buy.
Heavy-duty is the best way to describe the Rubbermaid Brute Tote, 20-Gallon. Each tote has a commercial-grade strength that is made to last, even when the tote is put through the ringer. In fact, the bottom is even reinforced, so you can drag it across the room without damaging it. In our analysis of 12 expert reviews, the Rubbermaid Rubbermaid Brute Tote, 20-Gallon placed 2nd when we looked at the top 7 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note January 23, 2020:
Checkout The Best Storage Bins and Tubs for a detailed review of all the top totes (tubs).
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
The Rubbermaid Commercial BRUTE Tote Storage Bin with Lid is a heavy-duty storage container used for storing and transporting items. Ideal for home or business, including the food service industry, this NSF-certified 20-gallon tote is ribbed for strength, features grip handles for carrying and rounded corners for easy cleaning.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Totes (Tubs)
Totes provide an excellent solution for all of your storage needs. Use them in the living room to organize your kids’ toys, the garage to separate your tools or the attic to keep your seasonal items safe until it’s time to pull them out again. As you browse the available totes on the market, you’ll want to consider each of their features.
Size is the first thing you’ll need to review. Smaller totes are ideal for knick-knacks, while medium totes can hold things like craft supplies and makeup. Larger totes are best for storing clothing and stuffed animals. There are even industrial-size totes, like the Rubbermaid Brute Tote, 20-Gallon that can handle items that are a bit heavy.
If you’re in the market for more than one tote, search for a stackable set. The Sterilite Ultra Latch Box, 17-Liter comes in a six-pack and has specially designed lids that allow you to store the totes one on top of the other.
Carrying totes can be difficult if there are no handles, or if the handles are rough around the edges. The Akro-Mils Plastic Tote with Attached Lid, 12-Gallon has strong molded-in handles that are made for lifting. Other models feature ergonomic handles for added comfort.
Consider how far you need to transport the tote, especially if you’re going to fill the tote with heavy items. The Sterilite 151 Liter Wheeled Tote, 2-Pack has a set of wheels, so you can simply pull the tote from the house to your shed. If you’re going just a short distance, there are some totes with reinforced bottoms that hold up well to dragging and dropping.
DWYM Fun Fact
Plastic totes can be used for many things, not just storing your belongings. Here are a few creative ways people have used plastic totes:
- Turn your tote into a hamster or gerbil cage. You can even run a tube from one tote to another to give your pet more room to roam around.
- Paint the symbol for recycling on the front of the tote and use it to collect your bottles and cans throughout the week.
- Transform the tote into a homemade filing cabinet. This is an excellent option if you don’t have enough files to fill a big cabinet, or you live in an apartment or home where space is an issue.
The Tote (Tub) Buying Guide
- Most totes are made of plastic, and therefore are easy to clean. All you need is a little dish soap, warm water and a rag. Should the totes have any type of odor, you can also wipe them down with vinegar or a baking soda paste. Rinse the containers clean and either allow them to air dry or dry them with a lint-free cloth.
- Depending on the type of items you’re storing in the totes, you may want to pick up a few silica gel packets. Toss several inside each of the totes to protect everything from photos to DVDs to books.
- The price for totes is dependent upon the size of the tote and how many totes you get in each set. The Sterilite Ultra Latch Box, 17-Liter and the Akro-Mils Plastic Tote with Attached Lid, 12-Gallon are on the lower end of the price scale when you take into consideration the number of totes you get for the price. The Rubbermaid Brute Tote, 20-Gallon and the Sterilite 151 Liter Wheeled Tote, 2-Pack are slightly more expensive, as they are larger and have extra features, such as wheels and ergonomic handles.