RCA Roku 720p Smart LED TV, 50-Inch
Last updated date: June 5, 2020
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top 50-Inch TVs and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best 50-Inch TV you should buy.
In our analysis of 18 expert reviews, the RCA RCA Roku 720p Smart LED TV, 50-Inch placed 9th when we looked at the top 10 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note June 8, 2020:
Checkout The Best 50-Inch TVs for a detailed review of all the top 50-inch tvs.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
From The Manufacturer
The Roku TV home screen puts your favorite TV entertainment into one simple, intuitive interface. Quickly navigate the home screen to access popular streaming channels or view entertainment on devices such as game consoles or cable boxes – all your TV entertainment is in one place. Stream just about anything –movies, TV shows, live sports, news, and music. With 450,000+ movies and TV episodes to choose from, entertainment is on your schedule. It’s easy to find popular choices that you can rent, buy, subscribe to or watch for free. Easily share photos, videos, and music from your compatible smartphone or tablet right to your Roku TV. Enjoy fantastic slideshows and videos starring you and your friends and loved ones on the big screen. RCA meets Roku. Your favorite, trusted home entertainment brand at the cutting edge with Roku's modern, intuitive interface. HDMI ports allow you to connect any HDMI enabled devices, such as tablets, computers, or gaming consoles. The super-simple Roku TV remote has only 20 buttons to make navigating easier. With around half the buttons of a traditional TV remote, you won’t have to struggle to find the button you need. The slim bezel gives the TV a sleek and modern look, to enhance the decor in any room.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On 50-Inch TVs
By some estimates, the average adult American spends a total of 4.5 hours watching television on a daily basis. This makes sense, since many individuals tune in to check the weather in the morning, get a news update in the afternoon and unwind with their favorite program at the end of a long day. Since you’re sure to make good use of your TV, it’s a good idea to invest in a quality 50-inch TV.
Decide whether you’re interested in purchase a traditional television or a smart TV. The Sceptre 4K UHD Ultra Slim LED TV, 50-Inch, although not a smart TV, has a host of attractive features that are designed to enhance your viewing experience. For example, it’s able to take a High Definition program and vividly enhance it to a 4K resolution that is absolutely stunning. It also comes with motion estimation and motion compensation that enhance the picture quality of action-packed shows, movies and sporting events.
If it’s a smart TV you’re interested in, you’ll want a model that is easy-to-use and set up. The TCL 4K Smart LED Roku TV, 50-Inch fits this bill, as it has a simple interface that even technologically-challenged individuals will be able to navigate. The unit is sleek and modern in design. Users will appreciate the included mobile app, which allows viewers to use their smartphone as a TV remote.
Check the 50-inch smart TV to see what it is compatible with. For example, the Samsung 7 Series 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 50-Inch works with both Alexa and Google Assistant. This allows you to use the television hands-free, which is handy if you’re enjoying a meal and you want to change the channel or you don’t want to get up to fetch the remote to search for your favorite program.
If space is an issue, you’ll want to go with a 50-inch TV that has a slim design, like the Insignia Smart 4K UHD TV, 50-Inch. This smart TV can be mounted on a wall, but it’s also thin, measuring just over 10 inches with the attached stand. That means you can set it on any tabletop, entertainment center or shelf.
DWYM Fun Fact
Since the invention of the television is nearing its 100th birthday, let’s take a look at a few fun facts about this widely-used device.
- Philo Farnsworth, Vladimir Zworykin and John Logie Baird were the pioneers who brought the television to life.
- Although Farnsworth created the television, he is on record as saying that he did not allow his children to watch it. His issue was with the content being shown on the TV. This makes sense, since one of the first programs to be aired in the United States was about dead people recounting the stories of how they met their demise.
- Samsung conducted a survey in the United Kingdom to determine what the most-watched type of television program was. It turned out that 41% of those surveyed enjoyed watching documentaries. This statistic is backed up by the fact that 350 million viewers across the globe tune in weekly to watch the British fact-based show “Top Gear.”
- The first television commercial cost the company who ran the ad just $9. Contrast that with the $2.7 million commercial played during the Super Bowl in 2008.
- A man wearing a Max Headroom mask was able to hijack not one, but two television programs on Nov. 22nd, 1987.
- According to the United Nations, Nov. 21 is World Television Day.
- David Hasselhoff holds the Guinness World Record for the most-watched man on television.
The 50-Inch TV Buying Guide
- Just like every other device in your home, your 50-inch TV will benefit from the occasional cleaning. When you’re ready to begin this task, turn the television off and unplug it from the outlet. Grab a microfiber cloth and use it to wipe down the screen. Should the screen be a bit dirtier than you expected, you can dampen the cloth with a bit of distilled water or spray the cloth with a cleaner made specifically for flatscreen televisions. Once the screen is clean, you can spray a new lint-free cloth with an all-purpose cleaner to wipe down the sides and back of the television.
- You’ll need to take extra care when cleaning a television screen that has been coated with an anti-glare material, as these screens are more sensitive.
- Never spray water or a cleaner directly on your TV screen. You risk getting some of the liquid inside the television, which can lead to permanent damage.
- Carefully consider where you’d like to place your 50-inch TV, as the sun can cause an annoying glare on the television screen. If you can’t position the TV away from the path of the sun, you may want to invest in a set of blackout curtains.
- Operating instructions for your 50-inch TV can be found online if you misplace them. Additionally, you can search sites like YouTube for helpful videos on how to set up the exact model television you decide to go with. Many individuals are visual learners and these videos provide step-by-step setup instructions that you can follow with ease.
- If your 50-inch TV comes with a remote control, you’ll need to check whether a set of batteries is included or not. Some models provide starter batteries, while others don’t.
- Some smart TVs allow you to buy an HD antenna, which can be connected to the television for watching live shows and sports programs.
- If the television you’re interested in isn’t a smart TV, you can actually turn it into one by purchasing a Roku 4K streaming stick. The stick is extremely affordable and comes with buttons for popular platforms, like Hulu and Netflix.
- Since the price for a 50-inch TV varies greatly based on design and extra features, you’ll want to consider it as just one of the factors in your overall decision. The TCL 4K Smart LED Roku TV, 50-Inch and the Insignia Smart 4K UHD TV, 50-Inch are among the more affordable models on the market. If you have it in your budget to pay a bit more, you’ll find the Samsung 7 Series 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 50-Inch and the Sceptre 4K UHD Ultra Slim LED TV, 50-Inch are excellent choices.