Razer Thresher Gaming Headset
Last updated date: August 19, 2020
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top PS4 Headsets and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best PS4 Headset you should buy.
Editor's Note August 19, 2020:
Checkout The Best PS4 Headset for a detailed review of all the top ps4 headsets.
With built-in 7.1 Dolby surround sound, the Razer Thresher Gaming Headset brings extraordinary audio to your gaming experience. A 16-hour battery also keeps you gaming for hours on end without having to worry about a sudden outage. The ear cups come padded with memory foam to conform to your ears and keep you comfortable.
In our analysis of 117 expert reviews, the Razer Razer Thresher Gaming Headset placed 9th when we looked at the top 15 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
The Razer Thresher 7.1 for PlayStation 4 is the complete wireless audio solution. On top of delivering lag-free audio immersion, this premium headset also focuses on undisputable comfort. Lined with leatherette, the lightweight memory foam ear cushions rest perfectly against your head, giving you a natural feel that is second to none. The in-built quick control buttons and a retractable digital microphone provide you with instant access to mic and master volume even in the heat of battle.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On PS4 Headsets
Today’s games are designed to fully immerse the player in the experience. But crisp, realistic graphics aren’t as effective if the audio doesn’t surround you. A good gaming headset brings sounds to life, enhancing your gameplay while also shutting out ambient noise. The right gaming headset puts all your senses on alert, ensuring you won’t miss it if the enemy sneaks up behind you in stealth mode.
But a good gaming headset goes beyond delivering amazing sound. You’ll also need to consider comfort, especially if you’ll be playing games for hours at a time. Many headsets have cushioned ear cups designed to protect your ears from fatigue during long bouts of gameplay. However, it’s important to pay attention to the build of these cups since certain materials can trap heat. You’ll also find that some headsets are cushioned in a way that prevents that uncomfortable feeling of something pressing against the cartilage of your ear.
Midgame, you’ll likely need to adjust the sound. Instead of relying on controls on your computer to do so, it will come in handy to have those dials within reach. But the layout of those buttons and wheels can make a big difference. In some cases, controls may be too close together, especially if you have large fingers. Keep that in mind as you’re shopping.
One big difference between gaming headsets and those designed for regular entertainment is the built-in microphone. You likely won’t always use that mic, so it’s important to ensure it can be easily moved out of the way when not in use. Some can simply be pushed off to the side, while others detach completely for easier gameplay.
If you game away from home, portability is also a factor. Some headsets can be folded up and tucked into a bag for transport. If you already have a bag that you use to take your PS4 with you, check to make sure you have a place for your headset. However, since many gamers never use their headsets away from home, this likely won’t be at the top of the list of requirements.
You may think the right fit is all about comfort. However, it’s also essential to the quality of sound you get. That seal between the ear cup and your ear can directly affect the sound that gets to your ears. Some headsets build in adjustability to help you find that perfect fit.
Eyeglass wearers face a particular challenge when it comes to any type of headset. Designers realize this and now have begun creating headsets with special indentations designed for eyeglass stems. However, you can also buy velour pads that put some cushion between your eyeglasses and your headset. Not only will this provide a more comfortable experience, but it will also ensure you get the best sound.
The PS4 Headset Buying Guide
- When it comes to gaming headsets, nothing else matters if the sound isn’t there. Look for a model that offers virtual surround sound with punchy bass and crisp treble. Some units even have specialty modes that allow you to catch even the most subtle sounds, such as someone sneaking up behind you within your game. A few headsets even build in Cloud audio for crystal-clear sound during gaming, even when audio is provided in surround sound. The Runmus Gaming Headset brings spatial awareness to the sound experience, making it easier for you to immerse yourself in the gaming experience.
- Good sound during gameplay is largely related to how much outside noise you hear. The Runmus Gaming Headset has noise cancellation to avoid your surroundings from interfering with your gameplay.
- Your ear cups aren’t the only feature that can be optimized with noise cancellation. It’s also important to pay attention to whether your microphone blocks out noise from your surroundings. The Beexcellent PS4 Gaming Headset & Noise Immunity Mic and Runmus Gaming Headset both have noise-canceling mics.
- The design of the microphone is also important. Look for a headset that has a mic that flips up to stay out of the way when you don’t need it. Some even detach when you choose to remove them.
- Few things can be as frustrating as losing power to your headset midway through a game. Consider a PS4 headset that offers 15 hours of play time. The biggest downside of many gaming headsets is simply that it doesn’t issue an alert when the battery is nearing depletion. If you recharge between uses and don’t play for more than a few hours at a time, though, you likely won’t have a problem.
- Comfort is also an issue, especially if your gaming sessions last for hours. The PeohZarr 7.1 Surround Sound PS4 Gaming Headset & Mic features ultra-soft and breathable bionic protein earmuffs. The design avoids placing pressure on your ear’s cartilage to keep you comfortable no matter how long you’re playing. Some models also have ear cups also swivel up to 90 degrees to help you find your own ideal fit.
- While headsets with ear cushions that are made from leatherette are soft against the ears, they can become uncomfortable if you’re in a room that’s on the warmer side.
- If warmth is a concern, the Runmus Gaming Headset uses breathable fabric to keep you cool through hours of playing. The headset is limited in its adjustment, though, allowing only the choice of three different settings.
- For those who wear eyeglasses, finding a headset that remains comfortable with glasses in place can be challenging.
- One feature of design to pay close attention to is how the controls are built-in. You don’t want a gaming headset that places the volume control and speech level wheels close together, as this makes it easy to accidentally adjust the wrong one.
- Customizing your look can be tough since many headsets only come in one color.
- If you regularly game on the go, consider a model that folds up to easily tuck into a backpack or laptop bag.
- One major decision you’ll have to make as you shop for a PS4 headset is whether you want to be tethered to a wire or go wireless. A headset that is fully wireless frees you up to move around. Wired models can lead to input lag when you’re using them with a PS4.
- Durability can also come in handy, especially if you tend to buy a gaming console and keep it for many years. Your best bet if you want a headset to outlast your console’s life is to go with a model made from a combination of powder-coated aluminum.
- You may have learned by now that skimping on a gaming headset doesn’t pay off long-term. But you can still get a good headset for a budget-friendly price. The PeohZarr 7.1 Surround Sound PS4 Gaming Headset & Mic and the ONIKUMA PS4 Gaming Headset & Mic are both on the more affordable side, while the Beexcellent PS4 Gaming Headset & Noise Immunity Mic and Runmus Gaming Headset are a little pricier.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide