PS4 Days Gone (Bend Studio)
Last updated date: July 23, 2019
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top PS4 Games and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best PS4 Game you should buy.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
Do you have the skill – and nerve – to survive the horrors of a broken world in this massive open-world action adventure? Step into the dirt flecked shoes of former outlaw biker Deacon St. John, a bounty hunter trying to find a reason to live in a land surrounded by death. Scavenge through abandoned settlements for equipment to craft valuable items and weapons, or take your chances with other survivors trying to eke out a living through fair trade… or more violent means. With humanity devastated by a global pandemic and ravaged by feral creatures known as Freakers, any mistake could be your last in your attempt to carve out a new life in the hostile Pacific Northwest high-desert. Using the power of PlayStation 4 and Unreal Engine 4, Days Gone offers an incredibly realistic and detailed open-world action game experience. Vast and hostile environments can be fully explored on the back of Deacon’s drifter bike. Abandoned vehicles can be searched for useful items. Towns and buildings can be entered and searched – at great risk. All lighting is done in real time – eye adaption technology creates a real sense of dread when entering dark buildings; day and night have an impact on the experience; weather affects enemy behavior. Exemplifying true, free-form gameplay, Days Gone offers freedom to explore, strategize and play “your way.” Every challenge can be approached and completed in an almost infinite number of ways. Many different items and weapons can be crafted using items found in the field, including brutal melee weapons and traps. Customizable weapons and skills offer true freedom in how the game is played. In addition to human drifters, marauders, and other groups, Deacon must face a wilderness overrun by Freakers – mindless, feral creatures, more animal than human but very much alive and quickly evolving. Freakers have needs, habits and behaviors that the player can learn and adapt to. The harsh high-desert of the Pacific Northwest offers a large variety of environments in a single geographical area. One minute Deacon can be riding through a pristine forest, a snow field, a lush meadow, and the next, be in the harsh desert lava fields. The hazardous environments, scarred by millions of years of volcanic activity, are defined by ancient lava flows, mountains, caves, cliffs and river basins, delivering a breathtaking backdrop to an equally diverse style of gameplay. Cinnabar mines, lava tube caves and small rural towns offer a variety of environments to explore.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On PS4 Games
- If you haven’t played Ubisoft “Assassin’s Creed Origins” in a while, it may be worth a relook. The award-winning game has undergone a recent revamp, taking it in the direction of a role-playing game. However, it’s still technically a stealth game, requiring the player to master the ability to sneak up on opponents.
- When it comes down to it, many of today’s top games excel at worldbuilding. With Ubisoft “Assassin’s Creed Origins,” it’s all about the map. This version has the largest and most connected map in all the renditions. You’ll find even when you’re out in the middle of the desert, there are plenty of awe-inspiring views. The game will take you deep into the heart of Egypt, immersing you in the ancient culture of the country.
- The open-world Konami “Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain” also offers a sizeable map, with mesmerizing landscapes and photorealistic graphics.
- If you’ve played “Grand Theft Auto” before, you’re probably already familiar with the meticulous detail put into the graphics. Rockstar “Grand Theft Auto 5” has realism all the way down to weather and lighting effects. This lends authenticity to the experience that makes you feel as though you’re truly a part of that world.
- One of the best things about Warner Brothers “Middle-Earth: Shadow Of War” Gold Edition is that it helps you grow as a player. The game takes note of moves that you haven’t yet used and coaches you to complete them in order to become better at virtual combat.
- One new feature that will enhance your experience with Konami “Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain” is the Fulton surface-to-air recovery system. It also adds Mother Base to your adventures, which means Big Boss will have more resources than in previous Metal Gear games.
- Storylines have become huge in many of today’s PS4 games, but many of them have a problem with growing repetitive over time. As with previous iterations, Ubisoft “Assassin’s Creed Origins” has an engaging storyline. However, some find the quests are repetitive over time, and you may find that finding the loot is too easy if you’re a more experienced player. Missions with Konami “Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain” can also become repetitive. Although the story is captivating, it doesn’t seem to have as many twists and turns as other open-world games. Rockstar “Grand Theft Auto 5” is all based on auto heists, which provide plenty of adventures without a complex storyline. The quests in Warner Brothers “Middle-Earth: Shadow Of War” Gold Edition can also become repetitive.
- Although Konami “Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain” repeats itself over time, it’s important to note that you drive the storyline in open-world games, and this game gives you plenty of opportunities to make it your own.
- If your setup supports 4K resolution, you may want to sway toward Ubisoft “Assassin’s Creed Origins,” which offers 4K gameplay as an option.
- Lack of responsiveness can become frustrating with any game. The controls with Ubisoft “Assassin’s Creed Origins” can feel a bit awkward at times. That means combat can tend to feel unnatural, with attacks not landing quite the blow they feel like they should.
- Many players prefer the spirit of competition that comes with playing others. Konami “Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain” offers both solo and online team gameplay options.
- For gamers on a budget, Rockstar “Grand Theft Auto 5” is the best option, selling for less than $20. Ubisoft “Assassin’s Creed Origins,” Konami “Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain” and Warner Brothers “Middle-Earth: Shadow Of War” Gold Edition can be found in the $20-$30 range. But the Warner Brothers “Middle-Earth: Shadow Of War” Gold Edition includes a season pass, which expands your gameplay options.
DWYM Fun Fact
Sony has built quite a few improvements into the PlayStation 4, but one of the most convenient is the process of updating. Instead of forcing you to wait while large software updates install, the system is built to only run updates while you’re in standby mode. That means while you’re sleeping or working hard at the office, your console will take care of updates, allowing you to jump right into gameplay when you’re ready. What really draws PlayStation owners to invest in a PS4, though, is the upgrade to the 8-core single-chip custom processor, which brings x86-64 AMD technology to the console.
The PS4 Game Buying Guide
Your PS4 is all hooked up and ready to go. Now you just need the perfect game to get you started. If you’ve owned a PlayStation before, you probably have a few favorites of your own, but it can’t hurt to take a look at what’s out there. You may even find that a game you tried in the past has improved so much in recent versions, you’ll want to try it again.
With so many PS4 games available, though, you’ll first need to narrow down the type of game you want to play. There are role-playing games, abbreviated RPG, which are among the most popular. RPGs kicked off with games like “Dungeons & Dragons” and continue today with popular options like “Final Fantasy.”
The vast majority of games will fall under the action header, which includes the many shooter games you find when you’re looking around. This genre also includes fighting and combat games like “Street Fighter” and “Double Dragon,” as well as stealth games like “Assassin’s Creed Origins.”
Another video game category that’s popular with many players is open-world games. “Assassin’s Creed Origins” falls into this category, as does “Konami “Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.” With an open-world game, you’re free to move around a virtual environment, choosing how you reach particular goals. These games have become increasingly popular as gamers seek to feel as though they’re part of an adventure, rather than just competing to win.
There are plenty of factors beyond gameplay, including the visuals on the screen in front of you. You’ll want to spend time in a world that’s immersive, rather than one that takes away from the experience. If you have a 4K TV, you’ll find your options are narrowed considerably since not all PS4 games are built to render at that resolution. Some games also have technical glitches that slow down response time, a flaw that can be extremely frustrating if you’re just trying to enjoy some game time.