Progressive Prepworks Cherry-It Cherry Pitter
Last updated date: June 25, 2020
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top Cherry Pitters and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Cherry Pitter you should buy.
Simple to use and mess free, this cherry pitter allows users to de-pit four cherries at a time. It's a great choice for anyone who has trouble applying enough pressure for traditional cherry pitters, as it has a non-skid base and a lid that just needs to be pressed down to operate. The unit is even dishwasher safe for easy clean up. In our analysis of 74 expert reviews, the Progressive Progressive Prepworks Cherry-It Cherry Pitter placed 2nd when we looked at the top 12 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note June 25, 2020:
Checkout The Best Cherry Pitter for a detailed review of all the top cherry pitters.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
Progressive International is your source for the widest range of functional, inventive and fun kitchen tools and great ideas put into practice. Our functional gadgets, tools, food-prep items and household products make cooking and meal preparation more efficient and fun. At Progressive, passion and creativity unite to create the right balance of form and function for today's cooks. Our in-house designers spend hours in the kitchen coming up with ways to improve on a variety of traditional tasks and tools. Established in 1973, our commitment to quality and service allows us to offer a broad selection of quality kitchenware and other household products. Prep works products from Progressive International are created by people who understand having the correct kitchen tool can make your cooking experience more enjoyable. prep works -essential items for today's cook. Prep Works from Progressive introduces a revolutionary cherry pitter where 4 cherries are quickly pitted at once. In the removable plastic insert, there is space for 4 regular cherries or 4 large cherries. Turn the cherries to the front and with one spring loaded push, 4 cherry pits are extracted. The pits are discarded in the non skid base and when finished, simply remove the insert and empty the container. This cherry pitter keeps counters and clothes free of stains and messes and makes the job of pitting cherries so fast. The spring loaded mechanism locks for compact storage. Dishwasher safe. Patent pending.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Cherry Pitters
Whether you enjoy baking fresh cherry pies, creating your own homemade jam or preparing Shirley Temples to share with a few friends, you’ll want to invest in a cherry pitter. This handy kitchen tool does all the hard work for you, while also significantly cutting down your food prep time.
Before selecting a cherry pitter, you’ll need to determine how many cherries you typically use in a recipe. If you don’t bake that often or you only create dishes that call for a small number of cherries, then a simple single pitter will do. Avid bakers and canners, however, will want to opt for a model that can de-stone multiple cherries at a time.
Most cherry pitters are manual. Some require more pressure than others to operate. Individuals with arthritis or other types of joint pain will want to look for a cherry pitter like the Progressive Prepworks Cherry-It Cherry Pitter. This unit has a non-skin bottom to hold it in place. It also requires little effort to remove the pits from the cherries.
To reduce the amount of mess in your kitchen, you may want to go with a cherry pitter that has a splatter guard. Otherwise, some juice may squirt out from the cherry as the inner prongs dislodge the pit. The OXO Good Grips Cherry & Olive Pitter is one model that offers this protection.
Another important feature to keep an eye out for is a removable base that catches the pits as they are released from the cherry pitter. For example, the ProTensils Tool Corer Cherry Pitter has a large container attached to the pitter. After you’ve finished removing the pits from your cherries, you can release the container and empty it into a trash can.
Individuals who live in a small apartment or have limited storage would do well with a compact cherry pitter. The pitter may even come in a decorative box that would make it a great housewarming gift.
DWYM Fun Fact
Did you know that there are over 1,000 different types of cherry trees in America? It’s true! Here are a few more fun facts about this delicious fruit:
- The oldest blossoming cherry tree is in Jindai Sakura, Japan. It is estimated to be between 1,800 and 2,000 years old.
- Since 1990, Turkey has remained the world’s leading producer of cherries.
- The darker the cherry, the more vitamins and antioxidants it has.
- Brian Krause from the United States is the official Guinness World Records holder for the longest spit of a cherry pit. In 2004 he competed in the International Cherry Pit-Spitting Championship and spit a cherry pit over 93 feet!
- Cherry trees don’t start producing fruit until three to four years after they have been planted.
The Cherry Pitter Buying Guide
- If your cherry pitter doesn’t have a splash guard, you’ll need to hold it over a bowl or kitchen sink. It’s also advisable that you not wear white, as any juice that gets on your clothes can leave a stain.
- It is important to note that cherry pitters made using white plastic can become stained by the red cherry juice.
- Store pitters with sharp shears away from the reach of small children.
- Some chutes are too low for use with tall bowls.
- Take a look at the cherry pitter’s chute and choose one based on the size of the cherries you typically buy, as large cherries and olives can get stuck in a small chute, while small cherries fall right through large chutes.
- Review the product label to determine who to best clean the cherry pitter. While some are dishwasher safe, others must be hand washed using dish soap and water.
- Both the construction material and the number of cherries a cherry pitter can handle at one time affect the overall price of a stoner. Since the Progressive Prepworks Cherry-It Cherry Pitter is made out of plastic, it costs a bit less than the OXO Good Grips Cherry & Olive Pitter, which is made out of iron. The Norpro Deluxe Automatic Feed Cherry Pitter and the ProTensils Tool Corer Cherry Pitter both remove multiple pits at once, and therefore, have similar prices.