Progressive International PL8 Mandoline Slicer
Last updated date: April 30, 2019
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top 1 Mandoline Slicers and dug through the reviews from 6 of the most popular review sites including BestReviews, The Top Pro, Food Gear, Savant Magazine, The Healthy Kitchen Shop and more. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Mandoline Slicer you should buy.
The Progressive International PL8 is the ultimate mandoline slicer for skilled home cooks. This model was named "The Best Overall" because of its versatility and durability. This hefty gadget will take up ample counter space, but the different blades are built in with no extra attachments. In our analysis of 54 expert reviews, the Progressive International Progressive International PL8 Mandoline Slicer placed 1st when we looked at the top 8 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note May 8, 2019:
Checkout The Best Mandoline Slicer for a detailed review of all the top mandoline slicers.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
Our PL8 Professional Cubing Mandoline is the latest result of decades of slicing expertise and is a necessity in the kitchen. You can slice, julienne and cube with 4 adjustable slicing thicknesses. The blade adjustment knobs provide a seamless change between the built-in straight and cubing blades, eliminating loose blades or parts. Integrated blades slice even the most delicate fruits and vegetables with precision. The non-skid feet on this mandoline fold in for compact storage and it is dishwasher safe for your convenience. For over 40 years, our mission has been to create innovative kitchen tools and gadgets that make food preparation fun and fast while inspiring culinary creativity. From our thinstore™ collapsibles to our sophisticated PL8™ line, our dedication to providing quality products supported by superior customer service continues to drive our creative development today. At Progressive International, we continually strive to understand the needs of today’s cooks. Our team includes talented, energetic and passionate people committed to reimagining the kitchen. We strive to pass our passion on to our consumers through our thoughtfully designed tools, layered with our avid desire to go beyond the expected. Our philosophy is simple: offer stylish designs complimented by no-nonsense functionality. We understand the kitchen is the heart of the home, where families and friends connect. Our ongoing mission is to provide exceptional kitchen essentials that help cooks of all skill levels create meals worth sharing. Prep Solutions;, Prepworks and PL8 continues to build on the Progressive; legacy by offering products that make food prep faster, easier and more enjoyable.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Mandoline Slicers
Upon ordering a delicious and nutritious dish from a quality eatery, you will likely find razor-thin cucumbers, carrots, radishes, apples or other produce topping your exquisite dish. Paper-thin foods definitely come with a “wow” factor, especially for foodies. Impressively cut veggies are sure to make any meal stand out, both in presentation and taste.
Thinly sliced veggies are more likely to maintain their satisfying crunch compared to thick chunks — even if the vegetables are full of water, as zucchinis and cucumbers are. That crunch adds an elevated eating experience that most people only think is possible in fancy restaurants. It turns out, home cooks can get in on the action with ease.
The secret to getting such thin slices is a basic kitchen gadget that should be in every home cook’s toolkit. This key tool is called a mandoline slicer. Mandoline slicers are essentially vegetable guillotines. They’re countertop kitchen tools that allow you to push vegetables (or other foods, like cheese) across sharp blades to get thinly sliced snacks efficiently.
Two parallel working surfaces, one whose height is adjustable and includes a mounted blade, is the basis of the mandoline slicer. A food item is slid along the adjustable surface until it reaches the blade, which quickly slices it. Slices are always uniform in thickness, which can be essential for perfect presentation and evenly distributed cooking when making things like chips and fried foods.
Using a mandoline slicer to cut your vegetables is much easier than individually chopping them with a chef’s knife, especially when feeding a crowd, and it’s just as safe. Many people avoid mandolines due to fear of injuring themselves on the blades.
Demand for this at-home appliance is continuously growing and safety is a constant priority. In response, most models, like the Progressive International PL8 Mandoline Slicer, now come with a hand guard to protect fingers. That specific model also features non-skid feet so the machine doesn’t move unexpectedly while you are using it.
If you opt for a portable, lightweight option, non-skid feet may not be your priority as they can make the appliance bulky. But safety should always be considered, so make sure whichever model you choose does not wobble or flex while you are using it. This will help ensure you can slice your foods easily without a high risk for accidents.
While the hand guards are crucial for safety, they mean more waste. Their protection often limits the amount of the fruit, vegetable or other food items that can be cut. For this reason, you should always expect scraps when cutting with a mandoline slicer that has a hand guard. Make sure to keep a scrap bowl, compost bin or trash can nearby for quick cleanup.
Mandoline slicers are often built to accommodate a variety of heights. Whether or not your slicer is adjustable is important to consider if you plan on slicing foods in a variety of ways — think thin sticks, ribbons and chips. When your mandoline slicer has multiple height settings along with adjustable blade widths, you can be assured it is a versatile gadget that will enable you to make a number of different cuts. Both the PL8 by Progressive and KitchenAid Hand-Held mandoline slicers have adjustable height options.
Those home cooks who would rather have a simple tool that is consistent and reliable should stick to a simple, easy-to-use slicer, like the Fullstar slicer. To make things easier, this model even comes with a built-in catch tray to make meal prep free of messes. Catch trays can be crucial time-saving and space-saving additions to vegetable slicers. Consider your available counter space and clutter priorities before selecting your mandoline slicer. Using them to slice a large amount of food can become messy, requiring ample storage space and/or helping hands.
DYWM Fun Fact
Historians aren’t positive exactly where, when and from whom the mandoline slicer got its name, but they do know what it was named after. The careful and steady wrist motion that comes with using a mandoline slicer is comparable to the wrist motion used to play the small string instrument also called a mandoline.
The mandoline, an instrument in the lute family, evolved in the 18th century in Italy and Germany. With four pairs of steel strings and a pear-shaped, the mandoline produces a wavering, smooth tone commonly used to make bluegrass music.
The Mandoline Slicer Buying Guide
- If you want to slice a variety of foods with your mandoline slicer, it’s important to take durability into consideration. Slicers like the KitchenAid model, as well as the Mueller Austria, are strong enough to thinly slice hearty items, such as sweet potatoes. Other models require more gentle handling using more delicate veggies.
- Variety is the spice of life — or is it? Home cooks with minimal storage may need a slicer with one blade type, while those looking to add unique elegance and flair to each dish should opt for a mandoline with multiple. This will allow them to achieve stick-straight, wavy and even julienned cuts.
- Portability is a major concern when choosing kitchen tools. Mandoline slicers are no exception to this, either. Of the models reviewed here, the Progressive International PL8 slicer is by far the lightest. Need to thinly slice burger toppings on-the-go at the family picnic? Not a problem.
- Vegetables, like cucumbers and onions, are the first thing most cooks use their mandoline slicer for. Beyond those delicious veggies, though, the mandoline slicer can beautifully cut potatoes for scalloped potatoes, beets for chips, zucchini for zoodles and even cabbage to top tacos. Experimentation is always encouraged.
- Make sure to use hand guards if included with your mandoline slicer to protect your hands and fingers from nasty cuts. The sharp blades can often be intimidating for users, but using safety equipment will significantly reduce any possibility of injury.
- While mandoline slicer blades are extremely sharp, they do require maintenance. To keep producing quality, razor-thin slices, you’ll need to sharpen and clean the blades on a regular basis. To get blades sharp as new, use a sharpening knife. Just be sure to wear gloves and take safety precautions when handling the blades.
- If you’re working with children who are aspiring prep chefs, it’s best to avoid the mandoline slicer. Though there are safety measures in place, it is still a dangerously sharp tool that must be used cautiously. Small chefs should keep their focus on mixing ingredients or presentation, allowing parents to monitor the slicing.
- Even with the safety features included on modern mandoline slicers, those who prioritize safety may want to purchase some heavy duty gloves. You can find cut-resistant gloves in most kitchen or hardware stores. Investing in this extra safety precaution will help you feel at ease when using your powerful slicer.