Power Block Adjustable Speedblock
Last updated date: May 21, 2020
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Adjustable Dumbbells you should buy.
With this adjustable dumbbell set, you'll be able to start with 3 pounds of weight and gradually work you way up to 24 pounds. When you're ready to move on and add more weight, all you need to do is move the selector pin. The unique flat bottom shape of this dumbbell set means users can even safely do push-ups from the bars. In our analysis of 206 expert reviews, the Power Block Power Block Adjustable Speedblock placed 3rd when we looked at the top 14 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note May 21, 2020:
Checkout The Best Adjustable Dumbbells for a detailed review of all the top .
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
The Sport 24 has weight range from 3-24 lbs per hand in 3 lb increments. Sport 24 replaces 8 pairs of dumbbells or 216 lbs of free weights in the space of just 1 pair. Increments: 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, 24 lbs per hand. Built to last with a 15 year home use warranty, the compact patented design is engineered for maximum balance and control. Realize your strength training goals while keeping your workout area neat and organized. Ships in 2 boxes. The only dumbbell system that can expand to meet your strength needs, PowerBlock dumbbells are the most versatile and effective exercise tool ever developed for strength training. PowerBlocks work intuitively. Rather than requiring you to buy a room full of dumbbells, PowerBlocks act just like a weight stack at the gym, with a weight handle that fits inside the first weight, which fits inside the second, which fits inside the third, etc. When you want to change weights, you simply move the weight selector pin into the appropriate slot and you're set. As you lift the core, all the weights above the selector pin are lifted at the same time, turning your 3-pound dumbbell into a 6-pound dumbbell, or your 6-pound dumbbell into a 12-pound dumbbell. Not only is the system remarkably easy to use, but it's also cost- and space-efficient, as a single pair of dumbbells can do the work of dozens. This pair of SportBlock 24x3 dumbbells, for instance, adjusts from 3 to 24 pounds in 3-pound increments (3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, and 24 pounds), in effect doing the job of 16 individual weights. Even better, the weights are more compact and balanced than traditional dumbbells, with a padded handle that protects people with weak wrists. Best of all, the free weights are terrific whether you're trying to build muscle mass, firm and tone your physique, or get rid of unwanted body fat. The SportBlock set offers a maximum weight of 24 pounds per hand and carries a limited 10-year warranty.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On
When it comes to gym equipment, dumbbells are the most versatile. They are an excellent tool for building muscle, and they can be used by almost anyone. Whether you are a novice with a physical limitation or an advanced athlete, adjustable dumbbells can be incorporated into your workout routine. For example, you can use low-weight dumbbells while seated, or add pounds to the dumbbells to use while standing.
Perhaps the first feature you’ll want to look for when shopping for adjustable dumbbells is shape. While the majority of dumbbells are made up of the traditional wheels with a metal bar in between, there are models with a square or hexagon shape. There are several benefits to each design. For example, the POWERBLOCK 50 10-50 Pound Adjustable Dumbell have a square shape that will rest flat on the ground. That means you’ll be able to do push-ups off of them. Of course, the circular models may feel more comfortable to hold, depending on your preferences.
Next, determine your total goal in pounds for lifting weights. Look for a set of dumbbells that will allow you to work your way up to that specific weight. So if you want to max out at 50 pounds, you don’t want to buy a set of adjustable dumbbells that only offer a total of 40 pounds. Otherwise, you’d never reach your goal, or you’d have to fork over money for a new set of dumbbells.
While reviewing the total weight, you’ll also need to look for the starting weight and what increments the dumbbell set uses to work you up to your total goal weight. Are there 2.5, 3 or 5-pound increments? Is it easy to add each new weight to the dumbbell? You want to be able to work at your own pace to reach your desired results.
Make sure the set of free weights you’re interested in is made of quality material. It is common to see adjustable dumbbells made of metal, rubber or metal and rubber.
Consider whether the dumbbells have any special features. For example, some models have ergonomic grips so your hands don’t slip when you start to work up a sweat. You’ll also want to look for threaded collars that allow for a more secure fit, a finish that prevents rust and corrosion and weights that are compact enough to fit in your storage space.
DWYM Fun Fact
In 1764, Charles Messier discovered a planetary nebula, officially named Messier 27. Since the nebula looked so much like the popular dumbbell exercisers use to lift weights, it got the nickname the “Dumbbell nebula.” According to NASA, you’d need to travel 1,360 light years to reach the Dumbbell nebula, which is located within the Vulpecula constellation.
When it comes to physical dumbbells that are used for weight training, the first model can be traced back over 2,000 years to Greece. In the 5th century BC, the Greeks had a version of the dumbbell that they referred to as halteres. They used this device to perform lunges, abdominal side bends and bicep curls.
It wasn’t until 1846 that dumbbells became commonplace in America. This was all thanks to John Blundell writing and publishing the book, “The Muscles and Their Story.” Fitness buffs took note of how using the dumbbell benefited various muscle groups and began inventing new exercises for the dumbbell to work almost every muscle in the body. Today, fitness trainers may instruct you to complete everything from tricep kickbacks to seated shoulder presses to flat and incline chest presses.
The Adjustable Dumbbells Buying Guide
- To maintain your free weights and keep them in excellent shape, you’ll need to set them down carefully at the end of each session, instead of throwing them on the floor. Not only is this bad for the dumbbells, but it could potentially damage your floors as well. Equally as important is not banging the free weights together.
- Cleaning is also essential to your maintenance routine. Simply mix a little dish soap in warm water, and use the solution to wipe down your gear. Afterward, you’ll need to take a clean dry cloth and dry off the dumbbells. If you allow the weights to air dry, they may rust, so don’t skip this step unless your dumbbells are made entirely of rubber.
- Even though adjustable dumbbells can be used by almost anyone, it is still important to learn the proper form before attempting to exercise with the free weights. You’ll want to check out reputable online videos or consult with a personal trainer to learn the best way to use the equipment so that you don’t pull or injure your muscles in any way.
- Some adjustable dumbbell models come with expansion kits. For example, some dumbbells are up to 50 pounds, but workout enthusiasts who want to push themselves can often order a 70- to 90-pound expansion kit without having to purchase a whole new free weights set. This is an excellent option to have if you think anyone in the home may eventually surpass their original goals.
- Look for the opportunity to connect to the company’s app. Bowflex has a free download that its customers can take advantage of. With the app, you can create a workout, follow workouts that are already downloaded to the app and track your progress in the area of physical fitness.
- The price for adjustable dumbbells varies based on features and the total weight offered. No matter what, you’re sure to find a set that fits your budget.