Poulan Pro 16-Inch Gas Chainsaw
Last updated date: January 23, 2019
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Gas Chainsaws and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Gas Chainsaw you should buy.
Update as August 5, 2023:
Check out The Best Gas Chainsaw for a detailed review of all the top gas chainsaws.
In our analysis of 10 expert reviews, the Poulan Pro 16-Inch Gas Chainsaw placed 0th when we looked at the top 7 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
The PP3816A is powered by a 38cc 2-Cycle gas engine and is equipped with a 16″ steel bar. Other beneficial features of the PP3816A include an Anti-Vibe handle and over molded rear handle to lessen operator fatigue, automatic chain oiler, super clean air filtration system, and the Effortless Pull starting system. A carrying case is included with this fully-assembled model, and the saw is backed by a 2-year warranty.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Gas Chainsaw Rankings
Gas Chainsaw Overview
If you own a decent amount of land, a chain saw can come in handy. You can cut down damaged trees and clear away old shrubs in a matter of minutes. Even if you’re on a small lot, chain saws can come in handy for DIY building projects. But there are a few important things to consider if you’re in the market for such a powerful tool.
Although electric chain saws have come a long way in recent years, gas chain saws are still the tool of choice for many handymen. A gas chain saw has a longer run time and can tackle a wider range of jobs. However, there are downsides to gas-powered chain saws, including the fumes they emit, the maintenance they require and the fact that they tend to produce a fairly high level of noise.
Once you’ve decided a gas chain saw is the tool you need, there are a few other things to think about before you start shopping. The first is the guide bar, which is what helps you control the chain saw while you’re working. You’ll find this bar varies in size, but larger bars are better for some activities while smaller bars are better for others.
Job size is an important factor in every aspect when you’re choosing a chain saw. If you merely want to clear away some limbs and trim shrubs, a lower-powered chain saw should be perfect for what you need. However, felling large trees requires a chain saw with more power. In many cases, this means you’ll have to spend more.
In addition to the price of the chain saw itself, you should also consider fuel efficiency. Gas-powered motors require fuel. So if you plan to use your chain saw often, you’ll find a gas guzzler can get expensive. Not only will you have to worry about your wallet with an inefficient model, but you may also find that it emits more toxic fumes into the environment.
Finally, consider the maneuverability of the model you choose. The guide bar is helpful, but heavier models can also require more muscle to operate. Over the course of an afternoon of hard work, you’ll likely find that this extra weight quickly begins to take a toll.
- One of the first things you’ll notice as you start your search for a chain saw is that they each have a bar to help you better control it as you cut. This guide bar can vary in length from one chain saw to the next, so make sure you find the setup that’s comfortable for you.
- A longer bar is ideal for cutting larger trees, while shorter bars are lighter, making them the best option if you’re doing something that requires maneuverability, such as clearing limbs. The Husqvarna 460 20-Inch gas chain saw has an especially long bar, at 24 inches, while other models have shorter 12- and 14-inch options.
- Big jobs call for plenty of power. If you plan to cut down large trees, you’ll want to stick with the Husqvarna 460 20-Inch gas chain saw since it specializes in those jobs.
- If you’re concerned about spending half your paycheck on fuel for your weekend landscaping work, consider the Husqvarna 460 20-Inch gas chain saw. Its X-Torq engine is designed for maximum fuel efficiency. This not only keeps your gas cost low, but it also is better for the environment
- If you’ve never used a chain saw, there’s a bit of a learning curve. But some chain saws are easier to use than others. The Husqvarna 460 20-Inch gas chain saw is simple to use. The Husqvarna 460 20-Inch gas chain saw is especially easy to start.
- Be prepared to get things set up before you start. As easy as the Husqvarna 460 20-Inch gas chain saw is to use, you’ll need to make a few adjustments at first to customize it to your own preferences.
- Weight can be a factor in usability. The Husqvarna 460 is the lightest, weighing in at 10.3 pounds. Other gas chain saws are more than 6 pounds heavier, which could make them trickier to maneuver.
- Occasionally you’ll need to perform maintenance on your chain saw, so it’s important to pay close attention to what you’ll have to do to keep it in working order. With the Husqvarna 460 20-Inch gas chain saw, you may find maintenance tricky unless you’re mechanically inclined. The oil tank is easy to get to, though, making oil changes fairly simple. You will have to disengage the chain brake whenever you’re changing the chain on your saw. Some gas chain saws have a side-access chain, making adjustments easy.
- Safety is always a consideration when working with power tools. The Craftsman Full Crank 2-Cycle Gas Chainsaw gas chain saw is not only durable, but it’s safer than many other models.
- If you’re planning to buy a chain saw, you’ll need to budget at least a couple of hundred dollars. The Craftsman Full Crank 2-Cycle Gas Chainsaw gas chain saw is the most affordable, retailing for less than $200. You’ll find the Husqvarna chain saw retails for more than $400.