PopSockets Black Stand
Last updated date: July 30, 2020
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top Collapsible Phone Holders and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Collapsible Phone Holder you should buy.
This midnight black collapsible phone holder matches almost any phone or case. It's reusable and washable. You can buy more than one for multiple devices, thanks to the affordable price. In our analysis of 28 expert reviews, the PopSockets PopSockets Black Stand placed 8th when we looked at the top 8 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note August 4, 2020:
Checkout The Best Collapsible Phone Holder for a detailed review of all the top collapsible phone holders.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
A PopSockets grip is more than a stylish phone accessory. It’s an opposable thumb for your phone. It lets you take selfies like a pro and share with your circle of fans, friends or embarrassing family members. It lets you text things you may or may not later regret with the greatest of ease. It lets you stand your phone up on an airplane tray table to watch a movie. When you’re done, it collapses flat like your bangs in a rainstorm. PopSockets grips are repositionable and stick to most devices and cases but may not stick to silicone or waterproof materials. The product includes a special 3M adhesive disc for attaching your grip directly to a glass-backed phone. You may also buy a separate “mount” to attach your phone to your dashboard, mirror, refrigerator, air conditioning vent or wherever you snack on content. And now, a little something for all you specification geeks: Diameter: 1.56 inches, Height: 9 inches when expanded, 25 inches when collapsed. Covered by PopSockets’ limited warranty. See warranty below for full details.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Collapsible Phone Holders
It’s admirable to try and limit your screen time. Too much exposure to the blue light wavelengths on your devices is rough on your eyes, and constantly leaning forward to read your phone’s screen can give you a dreaded case of stiff, painful “tech neck.”
However, too much of your life is dependent on your cell phone for you to hang up the mobile towel forever. Anything that makes your phone easier on your eyes (and the rest of your body) is a welcome addition to your life. Collapsible phone holders are a popular, inexpensive solution to many a cell phone woe.
Collapsible phone holders were an instant hit when they were launched in 2014. The colorful accessories stick to the back of your phone case, and the top “pops” out to create a handle for your phone. You can pop it back in instantly so that your phone flattens for storage in your purse or pocket.
Collapsible phone holder give your phone added stability when taking photos, and they reduce the likelihood that you’ll drop your phone while reading or texting. As our parenting expert and mom of two Kate Desmond reports, a collapsible phone holder allows you to more safely hold your phone while you’re carrying something — be that a child or groceries.
“A collapsible phone holder allow you to be nearly hands-free,” Desmond says. “You can pop up the socket, slide it between your fingers to carry your phone, and you can still carry 17 grocery bags from your car with ease.”
You can also use them as a kickstand to watch videos on a tabletop, or add them to the back of your tablet or e-reader for added stability. This allows you to set up your phone for easy viewing, whether you want to watch a video while you cook or entertain bored kids at a restaurant. Desmond points out that children seem to love collapsible phone holders for more than viewing pleasure.
“The amount of joy children get out of playing with a PopSocket is equal to or bigger than the joy they get from staring at your actual phone,” she says.
Collapsible phone holders come in a range of gorgeous colors and finishes. Once you’ve decided which design you want to show off, take a look at our Tips & Advice to make sure you know how to care for your collapsible phone holder.
One note of caution:
“Make sure the placement is just right before you stick the collapsible phone holder to your device,” Desmond says. “The first time I had one I made the mistake of putting it too high up on the back of my phone, and it made it awkward to carry.”
DWYM Fun Fact
Collapsible phone holders are a fun and funky product, and they’ve got the backstory to match. A philosophy professor named David Barnett glued two buttons to the back of his phone case in 2012. He was trying to keep his earbud cords untangled throughout the day. He upgraded the earbud cord holders to two pop-out handles, then began a Kickstarter campaign.
The first PopSocket was launched as a full case, and users quickly started taking advantage of the handles for propping their phones up and preventing drops during text message sessions. PopSockets took off after that, creating standalone handles that you could add to any case. Today, PopSocket has added accessories, like car mounts and more styles than you can imagine. That’s not bad progress for what started as a couple of glued-on buttons.
The Collapsible Phone Holder Buying Guide
- Collapsible phone holder are universally helpful, but they won’t stick to all phone cases. If you’re using a case that’s silicone, waterproof, soft or highly textured, your collapsible phone holder won’t stick to it.
- The positioning of your collapsible phone holder will affect how you use it and how you use your phone. Putting it in the center of your cell phone’s back is great when you’re using it as a kickstand to watch videos on a tabletop. Some people prefer placing it closer to the bottom of their phone for a more secure grip.
- If you have a phone with wireless charging capability, you might need to make some adjustments to make sure you can use your collapsible phone holder. Older collapsible phone holders will need to be repositioned near the bottom of your phone so that your smartphone can connect with your wireless charger. However, this means that your phone won’t lie flat when it’s placed on a tabletop.
- Newer PopSockets have swappable PopGrips. The base sticks to the phone, and you can remove the top of the PopSocket for wireless charging. You can also switch the top out for other designs.
- If you need to remove your collapsible phone holder, just push the top down and then work your fingernails under the base. Once it loosens, pull it off slowly.
- If you have leftover adhesive stuck to your phone case after you’ve removed your collapsible phone holders, you’ll need to carefully remove it with a solvent that’s safe to use on plastics. Applying mineral oil and scrubbing with a damp, soapy cloth might work. You can also try scrubbing it off with a little bit of hot water and a stiff brush.
- To clean your collapsible phone holder, remove it from the back of your phone and run it under cold water for about three seconds. If it’s underwater longer than that, it might lose its stickiness. Lay it upside down on a dry cloth and let it air dry for 10 minutes. If it isn’t completely dry after this, blot the base with a paper towel. Then reattach it, and don’t use it for at least an hour. This gives it plenty of time to re-adhere to your phone.