Pinzon Plaid Flannel Bed Sheet Set
Last updated date: December 14, 2020
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Flannel Sheets and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Flannel Sheet you should buy.
Editor's Note December 14, 2020:
Checkout The Best Flannel Sheet for a detailed review of all the top flannel sheets.
The Pinzon Plaid Flannel Bed Sheet Set is a great choice for those who love the traditional look of flannel. The sheets provide durability and extra warmth, and are double napped. However, the weave can be coarser than other models.
In our analysis of 107 expert reviews, the Pinzon Pinzon Plaid Flannel Bed Sheet Set placed 9th when we looked at the top 17 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
Pinzon 160 Gram Plaid Velvet Flannel Collection Recognizably soft to the touch, flannel is a woven, brushed-cotton fabric that gets measured not by thread count, but by the number of ounces it takes to make up a square yard. With a flannel weight of 160 grams per square meter, the sheet set offers both durability and supple softness. In addition to being napped on both sides for enhanced velvety softness, the flannel fabric is perfect for keep you warm during the colder months.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Our Expert Consultant
Home Improvement Expert
Vicki Liston writes, produces, and narrates “On The Fly…DIY,” an award-winning home improvement and DIY show of unique project tutorials for the casual DIY’er.
Home improvement and all things DIY have been Liston’s passion since she bought her first house in 2007 and she started making video blogs in 2014. She’s performed hundreds of DIY projects, from small ones to major, wall-smashing renovations and can teach you how to make a trendy DIY barn door for cheap. The proceeds earned from “On The Fly…DIY” are donated to no-kill animal shelters and rescue organizations. You can find her show on Prime Video.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Flannel Sheets
During the fall and winter months when the wind is howling outside and temperatures are dropping, nothing beats getting into a warm, snuggly bed with soft flannel sheets. Not only do the flannel sheets help keep out the cold at night, but they are also utterly comforting and velvety.
How does flannel get its soft, buttery feel and incredible warmth? It has something to do with how the material is made. Flannel is made from cotton threads, but it has a different manufacturing process, which leads to a different texture. Regular cotton threads are smooth; however, for flannel, the cotton threads are left open-ended, which means that the threads are spun in a way that makes them look uneven and textured. This is one of the key differentiators between cotton and flannel.
According to our resident home expert Vicki Liston, producer and narrator of “On The Fly…DIY,” the softness factor comes from combing the fabric and causing heat-trapping fuzz to appear on its surface, a process called “napping.”
“If you purchase cotton flannel, ensure it has gone through a ‘double napping’ process, which means both sides of the material have been combed over for maximum coziness,” says Liston.
Beware terms like “brushed microfiber,” “combed cotton flannel” (a redundant term, says Liston, as flannel is combed by definition) and “cotton velvet flannel” — Liston warns they are simply distracting marketing buzz words hoping to grab your attention and sound superior to competitors.
There are many advantages to using flannel sheets. Primarily, the surface of the sheets helps to trap warm air and body heat, which helps keep you warm. Unlike fleece, flannel ensures that you don’t get too hot and sweaty. The material can wick excess moisture and sweat away while you sleep. Plus, the velvety feel helps provide extra comfort, enabling you to relax as you fall asleep.
One of the drawbacks of using flannel sheets is that they do age with time. Due to the brushed, fuzzy surface of the material, little round balls of thread, or “pills,” can form on the surface. This pilling can affect the soft feel of the fabric, causing it to feel rougher. Flannel sheets that are made from 100% cotton can also shrink after washing, so it’s best to purchase sheets that have been pre-shrunk. Sheets that are a cotton blend are less likely to pill or shrink.
The Flannel Sheet Buying Guide
- One of the first things to note when deciding which flannel sheets to buy is the kind of material it’s made from. Flannel can be made out of 100% cotton or a blend. The kind of material used will affect the quality, warmth and pilling of the flannel. The Stone & Beam Rustic Flannel Bed Sheet Set and the Pinzon Signature Cotton Velvet Flannel Sheet Set are all made out of 100% cotton.
- Unlike other bedsheets where the thread count is a determining factor for quality, flannel is measured by the number of ounces it takes to make up a square yard. A bedsheet that is marked one ounce means that is how much one square yard of the sheet weighs. The optimal weight for cotton flannel sheets is five ounces. For reference, one ounce is 28.3495 grams. By comparison, regular cotton sheets weigh three ounces. A sheet set that weighs 190 grams per square meter is considered a durable, heavyweight flannel fabric. Some models boast a 170-gram flannel weight, while the Pinzon Signature Cotton Velvet Flannel Sheet Set is a 190-gram flannel weight.
- When deciding on which sheets to buy, take a look at whether the sheets have been preshrunk. If you’re getting something that is 100% cotton, you may experience some shrinking after washing. The Eddie Bauer Cotton Flannel Bedding Sheet Set has been pre-washed and will not shrink.
- Take a look at what the sheet set includes, especially if you want a matching fitted sheet, flat sheet and pillowcases. This way, you can be enveloped in warm, soft flannel. The Pinzon Signature Cotton Velvet Flannel Sheet Set includes a flat sheet, fitted sheet and two pillowcases.
- Your sheets not only keep you warm in bed, they can also be used to set the mood, tone and style for the room. Shoppers for whom color and pattern are of the utmost importance should go with a flannel sheet set that offers some options. The Pinzon Signature Cotton Velvet Flannel Sheet Set is available in several neutral solid colors and a couple of floral patterns. The Stone & Beam Rustic Flannel Bed Sheet Set is available in a set of bold plaid patterns.
- To keep your flannel sheets lasting as long as possible, Liston advises washing them in cold water and avoid overheating them in the dryer. Avoid using any fabric softener or dryer sheets as these will coat the fibers and stop them from being breathable. “If the thought of not using softening agents makes you cringe, add white vinegar to your washer’s fabric softener dispenser and use dryer balls to accomplish the same thing,” says Liston. “All flannel eventually pills but by taking special care of the fabric during the washing and drying process, you’ll give your bedding a much longer life.”
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide