Philips Avent Natural Newborn Baby Bottle Starter Set
Last updated date: July 29, 2019
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top 1 Baby Bottles and dug through the reviews from 14 of the most popular review sites including BestReviews, Merch Dope, A Web To Know, What To Expect, iExpert 99, All Best Tops, V Best Reviews, New York Times Wirecutter, The Changing Tables, Join Double, Baby Mom HQ, Kids New Hub, We Moms Life and more. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Baby Bottle you should buy.
With so many extras, it's not hard to see why Philips Avent Natural Newborn Baby Bottle Starter Set comes out on top. We like that this comes as a complete set with a pacifier, formula dispenser and bottle brush in addition to six bottles. The bottles are BPA-free and feature breast-shaped nipples and comfort petals that are similar to breast feeding. This can help breast-feeding moms transition to bottle feeds and back, and the design aims to curb colic and gas. In our analysis of 126 expert reviews, the Philips Avent Philips Avent Natural Newborn Baby Bottle Starter Set placed 1st when we looked at the top 9 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note July 5, 2019:
Checkout The Best Baby Bottle for a detailed review of all the top baby bottles.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
Philips Avent SCD296/02 BPA Free Natural Infant Starter Set is the most natural way to start bottle feeding. The 5 BPA-free Natural bottles included in this kit feature wide breast-shaped nipples with unique comfort petals promoting natural latch on and making it easy to combine breast and bottle feeding. The bottles also have an advanced anti-colic system with innovative colic-reducing twin-valve design for less air in baby's tummy and a more comfortable feeding experience. The set includes 2 Natural 9 ounce/260ml bottles with 2 Natural slow flow nipples, 3 Natural 4 ounce/125ml bottles with 3 Natural newborn nipples, Formula Dispenser, Bottle Brush, and Soothie Pacifier (0-3m). The Formula Dispenser holds 3 pre-measured portions of milk powder and is ideal for travel. The Bottle Brush’s curved brush head and molded tip cleans hard to reach areas. Used by medical professionals to calm newborns, the highly durable Soothie Pacifier features hospital grade silicone and one piece construction.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Baby Bottles
Whether you plan on pumping breast milk so your spouse can feed your little one or you prefer to use formula, you’ll need a good set of baby bottles. With several different types of bottles on the market, it’s a good idea to do a little research before you choose one.
Start by examining what material the bottle is made from. If the bottle is created from plastic, you’ll want to look to see that it is BPA, PVC, lead and phthalate-free. Other bottles, like Evenflo Classic Glass Twist Bottles, are made from glass, which is recyclable and environmentally friendly. That means you won’t have to worry about any toxic chemicals seeping into the baby’s formula.
Next, check the bottle design. The best design will reduce the amount of air your baby ingests, preventing instances of gas, colic and spit-up. The Playtex Baby Ventaire Anti Colic Baby Bottle does just that. Not only does the bottle have a patented anti-colic bottom vent, but it’s also angular to lessen the chances of your baby developing an ear infection.
You’ll also want to look at how the formula is designed to flow through the bottle. Babies can get frustrated if the flow is too slow or choke if the flow is too fast. Dr. Brown’s Original Wide-Neck Bottle has an Internal Vent System that works in sync with its silicone nipple to flow at the baby’s pace.
If this is your first baby, or you’re shopping for a baby shower gift, you’ll want to consider a bottle set that comes with a few extras. The Philips Avent Natural Newborn Baby Bottle Starter Set, for example, not only comes with six bottles in two different sizes, but also a bottle brush for cleaning the bottles, a formula dispenser for packing formula to-go and a pacifier to comfort baby.
DYWM Fun Fact
Originally, breastfeeding was the only method for feeding a baby. If a new mother wasn’t making enough milk, a wet nurse was used. During the 18th and 19th century, however, there weren’t enough wet nurses to fill the demand. As a result, artificial feeding from a bottle using milk from cows, goats and sheep was used.
Some of the first baby bottles were made from such materials as tin, porcelain and pewter. In ancient times, cow horns and terracotta jugs were used. By the 20th century, bottles had become commonplace and were being made from glass. Today’s bottles are made from plastic and feature either a rubber or silicone nipple.
The Baby Bottle Buying Guide
- It is important to sterilize and clean your baby bottles properly before feedings. Sterilizing the bottles with boiling water should be done before the first use and again every so often if you have well water. After the first sterilization, you can take the bottles apart and either wash them in the dishwasher or soak them in a sink full of hot soapy water. Always rinse away any soap residue before using.
- The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends discontinuing the use of baby bottles by the time your child reaches 18 months of age. By then, you’ll want to switch to a sippy cup. This is important because the longer a toddler uses a bottle, the higher their chance of tooth decay.
- Once you’ve retired your baby’s bottles, you can repurpose them. They can be used for everything from measuring liquids to holding snacks for a car ride to storing paintbrushes in between masterpieces.
- Certain excess baby bottles can be tossed in your recycling bin. Turn the bottles over and look at the number on the bottom. If you see a five or seven, you can recycle them. You can also donate the bottles to a children’s charity or an animal shelter.
- Since most bottles are sold in sets, it’s important to consider what you get with each set when comparing prices. Even though Philips Avent Natural Newborn Baby Bottle Starter Set may be priced higher, it includes a total of six bottles, a bottle brush, a formula dispenser and a pacifier.