Panasonic Beard Trimmer
Last updated date: October 29, 2019
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top 1 Beard Trimmers and dug through the reviews from 6 of the most popular review sites including BestReviews, Balding Beards, Instant Grooming, Mustache Trimmer, My Best Shaver and more. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Beard Trimmer you should buy.
The unique angled blades on the Panasonic Beard Trimmer are perfect for trimming facial hair. The grip resists slipping and remains comfortable throughout your shave while a built-in water drain makes it easy to clean. You can also choose from 19 different settings using a dial. In our analysis of 61 expert reviews, the Panasonic Panasonic Beard Trimmer placed 2nd when we looked at the top 10 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note August 30, 2019:
Checkout The Best Beard Trimmer for a detailed review of all the top beard trimmers.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
The powerful, versatile Panasonic Beard Trimmer ER-GB40-S for men can easily be used cordless anytime, anywhere or plugged it into an AC outlet for longer use. The durable, super-sharp blades in this powerful beard and mustache trimmer system are precision-honed to an acute 45° angle to create the optimal cutting edge for quick, efficient maintenance of beards, hair and mustaches. A quick-adjust trimmer dial is located on the sure-grip, ergonomic men's cordless trimmer handle to provide 19 precision settings — from 1mm to 10mm — for the exact length you want for smooth, precise trimming, sculpting, detailing and cutting. This Panasonic hair and beard trimmer for men is also wet/dry convenient. When you’re in a hurry, the ER-GB40-S waterproof beard trimmer delivers a quick, even dry trim over the sink or on-the-go. And, because this Panasonic trimmer is fully immersible in water, it also performs just as effectively when used in the shower. Clean up is quick and simple. The Panasonic ER-GB40 beard and mustache trimmer cleans under running water with easy-open water drain for thorough cleansing and maintenance, and a handy cleaning brush is included for on-the-spot hair clipper blade cleaning. The included, high-efficiency AC charging stand keeps your mustache and beard battery charged and ready. An indicator lamp glows red while the Panasonic ER-GB40-S trimmer is charging. And for grooming away from home, both the compact beard and mustache trimmer and stand fit easily into any men's grooming kit, bag or luggage.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Beard Trimmers
Keeping your beard neat and tidy can be tough work. But with the right tool, you’ll be able to quickly get that look you want. Today’s beard trimmers go beyond facial hair. Many come with attachments that help you trim your hair and mustache, as well as tools that let you control the length of the hair you’re trimming.
But beard trimmers can have a variety of features that make them stand out. One consideration is the motor, which determines how much power your razor will have. You’ll also be able to use some beard trimmers in the shower, cutting down on the time it will take to get ready each morning. As you look at the features, decide which ones matter most to you and choose accordingly.
In addition to trimming length attachments, some beard trimmers provide different trimming heads. You may also get a freebie, like a nose trimmer, along with your order, which will provide an all-in-one solution. Lastly, accessories like carrying cases can be very useful in keeping things together, so consider that a perk while you’re shopping.
You’ll also notice that some beard trimmers are cordless, while others are corded. On the surface, the cordless models seem much more convenient since you won’t be limited to a certain distance from a power plug. It’s important to keep in mind, though, that battery-powered trimmers need charging, and you’ll only be able to use your trimmer for a limited time before putting it back on the charger.
If you do choose a battery-operated model, weigh the benefits of one with a warning light that lets you know when the battery is nearing depletion. This will keep you from having to deal with that sudden battery drain when you most need your trimmer to work. If you plan to only use your trimmer for a few minutes each time, this may not be as important. But if you’re on the road and away from your charger, you may find yourself pushing your trimmer’s battery to its limits.
DYWM Fun Fact
Facial hair fashions come and go over the years, but beards seem to always stick around. Today’s hipster beards replaced the shorter, less obvious beards of the years that preceded them, but facial hair has long been part of society in one way or another. One piece of news that had the bearded community outraged suggested that men with facial hair were more prone to bacteria. The news mobilized facial hair enthusiasts so much, they set out to prove it wrong. That prompted a newer, much more comprehensive study that found that clean-shaven men were actually more susceptible to the bacteria in the air all around them.
The Beard Trimmer Buying Guide
- Few things can be as frustrating as trying to trim your beard, only to find your razor isn’t making any difference at all. True cutting power is a combination of a sharp blade and a strong motor, which can help with even the thickest hair growth. The WAHL Stainless Steel Lithium Ion Groomer uses patented Wahl blades, which are made from precision-ground carbon steel, backed by a motor strong enough to power through. The Panasonic Beard Trimmer uses fast-action blades that are situated at the perfect angle for facial hair.
- Noise can be important, especially if you’re trimming early in the morning when everyone else is asleep. The Philips Norelco Multi Groomer has a powerful motor but still maintains a low noise level.
- Grip becomes increasingly important while you work on cleaning up your facial hair. The Panasonic Beard Trimmer has a non-slip body with a rubber grip that keeps you comfortable while also giving you the control you need.
- Weight is also an important factor. The Philips Norelco Multi Groomer is lightweight, which makes a big difference if it’s taking a while.
- Cleaning is always a little extra work with a beard trimmer. The Panasonic Beard Trimmer has a built-in water drain. Just open it and let the water flow through.
- Cordless trimmers have their benefits, but having a cord can come in handy, as well. You won’t have to worry about your battery running out before you finish. So unless you plan to wander around while trimming, this could be a handy feature to have.
- For cordless trimmers, you’ll need to pay close attention to charging time and battery life. The WAHL Stainless Steel Lithium Ion Groomer can charge in just one minute if all you need is a quick shave. The Panasonic Beard Trimmer takes a while to charge, but you’ll get 50 minutes of use after a full charge. The Philips Norelco Multi Groomer will need to charge at least overnight before you can use it, getting only 35 minutes of use after a 10-hour charge.
- One downside to a battery-powered device is the fact that without warning, you’ll lose juice just when you need it. The WAHL Stainless Steel Lithium Ion Groomer has a smart LED that blinks as your battery runs down, but this isn’t always dependable.
- Attachments are an important part of a beard trimmer. The WAHL Stainless Steel Lithium Ion Groomer comes with four different attachment heads and 12 attachment guards. It doesn’t, however, have a full-size shaving head — which means if you want a close shave, you may have to invest in one. The Philips Norelco Multi Groomer comes with a full suite of accessories, including a nose and ear hair trimmer, trimming and stubble guards, an accessory storage bag and a cleaning brush.
- If you haven’t bought a new beard trimmer in a while, you may not have one with a dial that makes it easy to change trim length. The Panasonic Beard Trimmer’s dial will let you choose between 19 different settings.
- With most trimmers, you’ll merely need to clean them out and put them back on the charger. However, the Panasonic Beard Trimmer will require occasional maintenance using the oil included in the package. You’ll get hair pulling if you go too long without doing this. The Philips Norelco Multi Groomer, on the other hand, doesn’t require oil.