Oster Expressbake Bread Maker
Last updated date: July 15, 2019
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top 1 Bread Machines and dug through the reviews from 4 of the most popular review sites including Village Bakery, Bread Machine Pros, New York Times Wirecutter, BestReviews and more. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Bread Machine you should buy.
Affordable and versatile, the Oster Expressbake is one of the most popular bread machines out there. If you're looking for a starter machine that will help you make basic bread recipes, the Oster will be all you need. In our analysis of 54 expert reviews, the Oster Oster Expressbake Bread Maker placed 3rd when we looked at the top 9 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note August 5, 2019:
Checkout The Best Bread Machine for a detailed review of all the top bread machines.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
Make bakery-style artisan bread at home with the Oster Expressbake Bread Maker with Gluten-Free Setting. With its compact, user-friendly design, 13 settings including express and gluten-free options, and 3 crust selections, this countertop bread maker makes it easy to bake a variety of breads whether you want cinnamon raisin bread in the morning, whole wheat sandwich bread in the afternoon, or buttery dinner rolls. This bread machine features an ExpressBake cycle that bakes delicious loaves in as little as one hour. The large LCD display allows you to easily navigate the settings, while the programmable timer lets you delay the bake time by up to 13 hours--so you can prepare ahead and enjoy a freshly baked loaf exactly when you want it. The bread maker comes complete with measuring tools, kneading blades, and delicious recipes. Ideal for larger families, the Expressbake bread maker has up to a 2-pound loaf capacity.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Bread Machines
In the 1990s, bread machines took over the country, with some saying they’d be the next big essential kitchen appliance. Although the fad soon faded, bread-making appliances stuck around, remaining popular with those who love the taste of regular bread. If you’ve ever tried to make a loaf of bread the old-fashioned way, you likely know the appeal of inserting ingredients and pushing a button for fresh, home-baked bread.
Today’s bread machines have come a long way from the early days, especially when it comes to appealing to modern dietary restrictions. Now that they have gluten-free baking options, they’re appealing to an audience of people who have trouble finding delicious bread at the grocery store or neighborhood bakery. But not all bread machines have gluten-free features, and of those that do, only some can bake tasty gluten-free loaves. So it’s important to shop for that specifically if you’re on a special diet.
Whether you’re baking a gluten-free or regular loaf, though, you’ll want delicious-tasting bread baked consistently all over. This includes soft slices with the perfect outer crust. Some bread makers do better than others at this, based primarily on the way the machine distributes heat. It’s important to note, though, that some machines produce bread that doesn’t have that traditional “loaf” look and search for one that does if it’s important to you.
Some newer bread machines have fruit and nut dispensers that release those ingredients at the exact moment they’re needed. If you plan to make banana bread or date nut bread on a fairly regular basis, this might be a feature to consider while you’re shopping.
DYWM Fun Fact
Bread has a long history, which means it’s the subject of numerous legends and superstitions. In Scotland, for instance, you aren’t supposed to sing while waiting for your bread to rise since doing so will take the wind out of it. While slicing bread, if you accidentally drop a slice, it means friends are on their way. Your parents and grandparents may also have included bread as a good luck charm to new homeowners. It was customary to take a loaf of bread as a housewarming gift as a wish that the owners would never go hungry, as well as a bottle of wine so that they’d never go thirsty.
The Bread Machine Buying Guide
- Bread machines can have a bit of a learning curve. You’ll need to first gather all the ingredients you need, then know which buttons to push. The Zojirushi Virtuoso bread maker has a light-up digital display and easy-to-use settings. The Breville Customer Loaf bread maker also has a large LCD screen that’s easy to read.
- One notable feature in the Zojirushi bread machine is that it tells you what time your loaf will be done, rather than merely giving you a countdown timer.
- If you plan to make fruity bread, consider the Breville Custom Loaf bread maker, which has a fruit and nut dispenser. Your ingredients will release at the designated time. The Zojirushi Virtuoso bread maker doesn’t have the dispenser, but it does beep when it’s time for you to manually add them.
- More than 3 million Americans are following a gluten-free diet. Normally this would mean forgoing bread — and bread machines — altogether. However, some bread machines let you make delicious gluten-free bread at the press of a button. The Zojirushi Virtuoso creates gluten-free bread that tastes better than you’ll get in any store. You may even find it tastes better than regular bread. The T-fal ActiBread bread maker also has a gluten-free bread setting.
- If you want the luxury of creating foods beyond bread, the Breville Custom Loaf bread maker might be the machine for you. You can make pasta and jam by just choosing those options on the menu and inserting the necessary ingredients.
- If you’re on a budget, you may want to stick with the T-fal ActiBread or the Oster Expressbake since both retail for under $100. Both the Zojirushi Virtuoso and Breville Custom Loaf bread machines retail for more than $250.
- When it comes down to it, your bread maker needs to put out high-quality, good-tasting bread. All of the other factors are important, but this one is a top priority. The Zojirushi bread machine has a heater on the lid that ensures each loaf is evenly cooked on all sides. No matter what size loaf you’re making, you’ll get this same result. The T-fal ActiBread makes delicious bread, but the shape of each loaf is different from what you’re accustomed to getting when you buy bread. You’ll find it’s taller and longer.