OMOTON Aluminum Desktop Cellphone Stand
Last updated date: January 29, 2020
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top Collapsible Phone Holders and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Collapsible Phone Holder you should buy.
The OMOTON Aluminum Desktop Cellphone Stand offers a strong design and a large capacity for big phones. The silicone pads will keep the stand from scratching your phone and also prevent slipping. In addition, the designed holes in the back of the base allow for cords to stay attached to the phone but out of the way for convenient charging. In our analysis of 20 expert reviews, the OMOTON OMOTON Aluminum Desktop Cellphone Stand placed 4th when we looked at the top 8 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note January 29, 2020:
Checkout The Best Collapsible Phone Holder for a detailed review of all the top collapsible phone holders.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Collapsible Phone Holders
It’s admirable to try and limit your screen time. Too much exposure to the blue light wavelengths on your devices is rough on your eyes, and constantly leaning forward to read your phone’s screen can give you a dreaded case of stiff, painful “tech neck.”
However, too much of your life is dependent on your cell phone for you to hang up the mobile towel forever. Anything that makes your phone easier on your eyes (and the rest of your body) is a welcome addition to your life. Phone collapsable holders are a popular, inexpensive solution to many a cell phone woe.
Phone collapsable holders were an instant hit when they were launched in 2014. The colorful accessories stick to the back of your phone case, and the top “pops” out to create a handle for your phone. You can pop it back in instantly so that your phone flattens for storage in your purse or pocket.
Phone collapsable holders give your phone added stability when taking photos, and they reduce the likelihood that you’ll drop your phone while reading or texting. As our parenting expert and mom of two Kate Desmond reports, a phone collapsable holders allows you to more safely hold your phone while you’re carrying something — be that a child or groceries.
“A phone collapsable holder allow you to be nearly hands-free,” Desmond says. “You can pop up the socket, slide it between your fingers to carry your phone, and you can still carry 17 grocery bags from your car with ease.”
You can also use them as a kickstand to watch videos on a tabletop, or add them to the back of your tablet or e-reader for added stability. This allows you to set up your phone for easy viewing, whether you want to watch a video while you cook or entertain bored kids at a restaurant. Desmond points out that children seem to love phone collapsable holders for more than viewing pleasure.
“The amount of joy children get out of playing with a PopSocket is equal to or bigger than the joy they get from staring at your actual phone,” she says.
Phone collapsable holders come in a range of gorgeous colors and finishes. Once you’ve decided which design you want to show off, take a look at our Tips & Advice to make sure you know how to care for your phone collapsable holder.
One note of caution:
“Make sure the placement is just right before you stick the phone collapsable holder to your device,” Desmond says. “The first time I had one I made the mistake of putting it too high up on the back of my phone, and it made it awkward to carry.”
DWYM Fun Fact
Phone collapsable holders are a fun and funky product, and they’ve got the backstory to match. A philosophy professor named David Barnett glued two buttons to the back of his phone case in 2012. He was trying to keep his earbud cords untangled throughout the day. He upgraded the earbud cord holders to two pop-out handles, then began a Kickstarter campaign.
The first PopSocket was launched as a full case, and users quickly started taking advantage of the handles for propping their phones up and preventing drops during text message sessions. PopSockets took off after that, creating standalone handles that you could add to any case. Today, PopSocket has added accessories, like car mounts and more styles than you can imagine. That’s not bad progress for what started as a couple of glued-on buttons.
The Collapsible Phone Holder Buying Guide
- Phone collapsable holders are universally helpful, but they won’t stick to all phone cases. If you’re using a case that’s silicone, waterproof, soft or highly textured, your phone collapsable holder won’t stick to it.
- The positioning of your phone collapsable holder will affect how you use it and how you use your phone. Putting it in the center of your cell phone’s back is great when you’re using it as a kickstand to watch videos on a tabletop. Some people prefer placing it closer to the bottom of their phone for a more secure grip.
- If you have a phone with wireless charging capability, you might need to make some adjustments to make sure you can use your phone collapsable holder. Older phone collapsable holders will need to be repositioned near the bottom of your phone so that your smartphone can connect with your wireless charger. However, this means that your phone won’t lie flat when it’s placed on a tabletop.
- Newer PopSockets have swappable PopGrips. The base sticks to the phone, and you can remove the top of the PopSocket for wireless charging. You can also switch the top out for other designs.
- If you need to remove your phone collapsable holder, just push the top down and then work your fingernails under the base. Once it loosens, pull it off slowly.
- If you have leftover adhesive stuck to your phone case after you’ve removed your phone collapsable holders, you’ll need to carefully remove it with a solvent that’s safe to use on plastics. Applying mineral oil and scrubbing with a damp, soapy cloth might work. You can also try scrubbing it off with a little bit of hot water and a stiff brush.
- To clean your phone collapsable holder, remove it from the back of your phone and run it under cold water for about three seconds. If it’s underwater longer than that, it might lose its stickiness. Lay it upside down on a dry cloth and let it air dry for 10 minutes. If it isn’t completely dry after this, blot the base with a paper towel. Then reattach it, and don’t use it for at least an hour. This gives it plenty of time to re-adhere to your phone.