Officeline Helical Steel Blade Auto-Stop Portable Electric Pencil Sharpener
Last updated date: July 2, 2020
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top Electric Pencil Sharpeners and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Electric Pencil Sharpener you should buy.
This high-powered yet portable sharpener can be slipped into a bag to take wherever you need to go. The stainless steel helical blades can sharpen any type of pencil, even those with hard lead. It features a vertical design with an ergonomic shavings bin which is easy to remove. In our analysis of 109 expert reviews, the Officeline Officeline Auto-Stop Portable Electric Pencil Sharpener placed 1st when we looked at the top 10 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note July 2, 2020:
Checkout The Best Electric Pencil Sharpener for a detailed review of all the top electric pencil sharpeners.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
Keep your pencils in perfect shape with the OfficeLine electric pencil sharpener. Great for both lead and colored pencils, this electric sharpener will sharpen your pencils easily and quickly, and ensure your pencils stay in their best shape. Portable and lightweight, this electric pencil sharpener is battery operated and easy to take with you from the office to home or art class. Get the perfect point every time with the stainless steel helical blade. For additional safety, the blade has an auto-stop feature once the pencil is sharpened or the reservoir is removed. Keep all your pencil shavings neatly contained in the secure shaving reservoir. Easy to remove and replace, you can quickly dispose of the shavings.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Electric Pencil Sharpeners
There is nothing quite as satisfying as a perfectly sharp point on a pencil. However, sharpening pencils with a manual pencil sharpener can be frustrating. Not only do they make a mess, with pencil shavings falling all around, but they also don’t always result in the perfect point you’re looking for. If you have multiple pencils to sharpen, such as at a school or children’s activity, then using a manual pencil sharpener can also feel like a waste of time.
An electrical pencil sharpener improves the pencil sharpening experience considerably, especially when you have many pencils to sharpen. Running on electricity, battery, or USB power, electric pencil sharpeners offer convenience and tip quality. Unlike a manual pencil sharpener, which can waste the lead by not properly grinding it, an electric pencil sharpener always produces a sharp point.
When you’re looking for an electric pencil sharpener, pay attention to the size of the pencils you typically use, as not all sharpeners accommodate all types of pencils. A 9 mm pencil is the most common type used; however, some pencil sharpeners are made for 8 mm pencils. You’ll also want to keep the shape of your pencils in mind. Pencils can be round, hexagonal or triangular. Ensure that your electric pencil sharpener can be used with the shape of pencil you have.
Not all electric pencil sharpeners grind the pencil at the same angle. Some pencils may require a bigger angle to show the lead, while others would fracture if that were the case. You’ll need to ensure that the electric pencil sharpener you choose sharpens your pencils at the right angle to reduce lead wastage.
DWYM Fun Fact
From time to time, your electrical pencil sharpener may get jammed. This can happen easily if small children are using the sharpener. They may put the pencil into the sharpener with the eraser end first, or try to jam the pencil into the sharpener once it’s already been sharpened. If that’s the case, you can easily use a long-necked screwdriver to unscrew the main plate of the sharpener. Take a picture of the inside of the sharpener so you have a frame of reference for how to put everything back together. Very carefully remove the sharpening mechanism so you can inspect what is jamming it up. Use a screwdriver or knife to take out the object. Refer to your picture to put everything back together into the sharpener, and then screw the main plate back on.
The Electric Pencil Sharpener Buying Guide
- When you’re on the hunt for an electric pencil sharpener, pay attention to the kind of blades it has. You want to ensure that they are sharp and durable and can last a long time. Helical blades that are made out of strong material such as stainless steel ensure that you get a sharp point every time — including on pencils that have particularly hard lead.
- If your electric pencil sharpener will be used by children, such as in a school setting, it’s imperative to keep safety in mind. Look for an electric pencil sharpener that has an auto-stop blade operation. This ensures that the blade stops by itself once the pencil has been sharpened. If the shavings tray is opened during sharpening, the blade stops automatically. This way, you can ensure fingers are always kept safe and away from moving blades.
- For those that sharpen multiple pencils at the same time, having a large shaving receptacle is key. This way, you don’t need to stop sharpening after every few pencils to empty out the tray. A clear bin lets you see when it’s time to empty the receptacle.
- Some electric pencil sharpeners can leave graphite streaks behind on the wood of the pencil. If you’re an artist, this can lead to smudges on your work. If this is the case, be sure to look for a pencil sharpener that doesn’t leave any graphite traces.
- You’ll need to look at what kind of power source the sharpener has, to ensure it works for your needs. Some sharpeners come with multiple power sources, so you can use batteries in addition to plugging it into an outlet. This provides added flexibility if you need to move the sharpener around. You can also get a pencil sharpener that can be charged using a USB, which is perfect if you’re at a conference or trade show with no access to batteries or wall plugs.