NOVASKO Premium Heavy Duty Kitchen Shear
Last updated date: July 17, 2020
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top Kitchen Shears and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Kitchen Shears you should buy.
In our analysis of 108 expert reviews, the NOVASKO NOVASKO Premium Heavy Duty Kitchen Shear placed 8th when we looked at the top 13 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note July 21, 2020:
Checkout The Best Kitchen Shears for a detailed review of all the top kitchen shears.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
Premium Kitchen Scissors (Black/Red) SPECIFICATION: Material: Food Grade Stainless Steel Color: Black/Red Size: 210MM*90MM Weight: 146g FEATURES AND BENEFITS: Multi-function scissor, it is equal to own several different tools, such as kitchen knife, bottle opener, chopper,pliers, gardening scissor. Professional design for your luxury kitchen, restaurant. Well shaped grip to the form of your hand makes it very comfortable to hold. Good for camping, BBQ, and outer door activity. Good choice for a useful gift. ATTENTION:Please keep out of reach of children. Sharp blade, please use carefully. Wipe the blade with a clean dry cloth after using (Dry thoroughly before storage) To maintain the sharp edge of the blade, please do not cut the hard object.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Kitchen Shears
If you enjoy preparing meals from scratch for family and friends, there are a few essential tools you’ll want to have in your kitchen. A set of kitchen shears, for example, can significantly cut down on the time you spend chopping fruits, vegetables and meats into bite-sized pieces.
While shears are almost identical to scissors in design and purpose, they are differentiated by their length. Scissors are typically under 6 inches, while shears measure 6 inches and above. Shears are also designed to cut thicker and harder objects than an everyday pair of scissors.
Before you purchase your first set of kitchen shears, there are a few things you’ll want to take into consideration. Start by examining the tool’s handle. You want to make sure it is made with a material that gives you a good grip, so your fingers don’t slip out during a cut. The KitchenAid All-Purpose Kitchen Shear not only has a handle with a good grip, but the handle is also soft. You’ll get the stability you need, as well as a little comfort.
It’s worth noting that although most kitchen shears are made for right-handed individuals, it is possible to find a manufacturer who makes specially designed shears for lefties.
Your next step is to examine the kitchen shears’ blades. Most modern shears are made using stainless steel blades, as they are resistant to rust and do not become discolored when working with foods that have a natural dye. The blades should also be serrated, like the blades on the Gerior Heavy Duty Utility Come Apart Kitchen Shear. The serrated edges allow for a firm grip on the piece of food you wish to cut.
Another aspect to consider is whether you’d like your shears to serve more than one purpose. The J.A. HENCKELS Multi-Purpose Kitchen Shears have a center that quickly and easily opens bottle caps and a handle that cracks nuts. If you drink a lot of soda pop while munching on walnuts, this might be a better option for you.
Individuals who don’t have a lot of strength in their hands may do better with a set of shears that uses a spring-loaded handle. The springs do the work for you as you squeeze. Since you don’t need as much pressure to cut food, your hands are spared from the strain they typically feel when using a set of shears.
DWYM Fun Fact
- Kitchen shears are simply a modification of your basic scissors. The first type of scissors invented were used by the ancient Egyptians back in 1500 B.C. Later, the Romans improved upon the design. While some believe that Leonardo da Vinci invented the handy tool, others credit Robert Hinchliffe as the father of our modern-day scissors. This is likely due to the fact that Mr. Hinchliffe was the first to manufacture and sell the scissors.
- There are several superstitions associated with scissors. Some folks advise placing scissors on a table and waiting for a friend to pick it up. They believe if you simply hand over the scissors, you’ll sever your friendship. There is also the superstition that if a woman places a pair of scissors under her pillow at night, it will induce labor by slicing the cord between mother and baby.
- A few final fun facts: The Latin word for scissors is cisoria. It means “cutting instrument.” And, finally, the largest pair of scissors measures 7-feet, 7-inches long.
The Kitchen Shears Buying Guide
- To check the quality of your kitchen shears, close the blades and look to make sure the tips line up perfectly.
- In order for your kitchen shears to continue cutting with precision and ease, you’ll need to have them sharpened regularly. How often you sharpen them depends on how much you use them, but every two weeks is a good rule of thumb.
- Kitchen shears can be sharpened a variety of ways. Sandpaper, aluminum foil or a sharpening stone are the most common.
- Beware of what causes your kitchen shears blades to dull prematurely. For example, not drying the blades off soon after they get wet is one cause. Another is cutting through bones instead of cutting the meat off the bones.
- When it comes to maintenance, you’ll also need to oil the kitchen shears’ pivot point. This keeps friction to a minimum, making it easier to cut through tough vegetables and meats.
- Always read the product label before washing the kitchen shears. Some only allow handwashing, especially the models that have removable blades. Others permit using a dishwasher, but state that handwashing is always best.
- When comparing the price of kitchen shears, you need to take into account any extra features that are offered. For example, you can expect the J.A. HENCKELS Multi-Purpose Kitchen Shears to be slightly more expensive than the Acelone Premium Stainless Steel Kitchen Shear, as they have two additional built-in tools. The Gerior Heavy Duty Utility Come Apart Kitchen Shear are also going to be sold at a higher cost than the more basic KitchenAid All-Purpose Kitchen Shear, as they have an added spring to make chopping less strenuous.