Last updated date: July 1, 2019
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Online Games and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Online Game you should buy.
Update as August 12, 2019:
Checkout The Best Online Game for a detailed review of all the top online games.
Mojang "Minecraft" fans love the creativity that comes with the game, which allows players to build things while also going on adventures. One of the best things about this version is that it maintains its retro feel even as other games have given in to mimicking more modern design. It also offers largely bug-free playing sessions.
In our analysis of 89 expert reviews, the Mojang Minecraft placed 6th when we looked at the top 10 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
Minecraft is a game about placing blocks and going on adventures. Explore randomly generated worlds and build amazing things from the simplest of homes to the grandest of castles. Play in Creative Mode with unlimited resources or in Survival Mode, defend against monsters and dig deep into the world to discover the rarest ores. Do all this alone, or work together with your friends over the internet. Build, create, and explore! The PC Java version is the first version of Minecraft to be released. Often referred to as Minecraft: Java Edition. It supports cross-platform play between Mac OS X, Linux, and Windows. This edition also supports user-created skins. It is the classic version. Terms & Conditions This Minecraft software download code is issued by Mojang AB, and will entitle the holder to a license of the Minecraft game. The code may only be redeemed on account.mojang.com, and can be credited towards a new or an existing Mojang account. A Mojang account and an internet connection are required to redeem this code. These accounts are subject to Mojang AB’s Terms and Conditions (found at account.mojang.com/terms). By purchasing this code, you accept these terms and the Terms and Conditions of this code. The code is not redeemable for cash and will not be refunded by Mojang. This code may not be resold. The code is void where prohibited or restricted by law. Support: Having issues with your account? If you experience any issues redeeming your code or creating your account, please contact Mojang at help.mojang.com.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Online Games
Gaming is far more fun when you can do it with friends. Even gameplay with one or more strangers can ignite the spirit of competition, taking your experience to the next level. At one time, if you want a group game night, you had to invite friends over to your place. Today, though, thanks to the internet, you can hang out at home alone and play against people located across the world.
When you think of your favorite games over the years, you probably specifically remember the setup of the game itself. There were likely characters and a story that engaged you, but simple games can be just as enthralling. As games have evolved, though, gamers have begun to demand an immersive experience, allowing them to feel as though they’re part of the game, rather than simply watching as a spectator.
But while today’s online gaming landscape may be crowded, there are some games that stand out from the crowd. They’ve managed to find a way to capitalize on the popularity of online multiplayer gaming and create games that draw players in and keep them there. With each new release, these games provide crisper graphics and more realistic settings, further drawing players into their imaginary worlds.
But violence is an always-present concern, particularly for parents of teens who play. The Entertainment Software Rating Board helps with that, creating ratings for each game similar to the way movies are rated. Games that are rated E are suitable for everyone, while E 10+ is for players 10 years of age and older. Teen-rated games are approved for those ages 13 and up and games rated Mature are suitable for 17 and up. Some games are for adults only, and those games are marked with an “A” and warn that there can be prolonged scenes of intense violence or graphic sexual content. Games that involve players gambling with real currency are also rated for adults only.
The Online Game Buying Guide
- “Grand Theft Auto” fans have watched the game evolve over the years. Rockstar’s “Grand Theft Auto 5” brings interesting characters and interwoven storylines that enrich the experience. You aren’t stuck following just one story. Instead, you’ll weave in and out between three characters’ viewpoints, keeping things interesting throughout.
- Players have become fascinated with the Wild West-era setting of “Red Dead Redemption.” Rockstar “Red Dead Redemption 2” introduces new protagonist Arthur Morgan, who goes on the run with the Van der Lidne gang as they try to evade federal agents and bounty hunters. The depth of the story does make it seem slow to some, as cowboy life sometimes can be, but the length of the game can deeply immerse the player in the story.
- “Final Fantasy” has been a force in gaming since the 1980s, and Square Enix “Final Fantasy XIV” brings a new chapter. You’ll find the story in this one moves quickly as you battle other players.
- Mojang’s “Minecraft” is popular for builders, giving you the opportunity to use supplies to create a 3-D generated world using building blocks and other materials. At the same time, you’re adventuring. With “Minecraft,” you get unlimited supplies and the option of playing either alone or with others online.
- The gaming experience itself is what typically draws gamers to a specific online game. If you like an action-packed experience, you can’t go wrong with “Grand Theft Auto 5” and “Final Fantasy XIV,” which keep you on the edge of your seat throughout your gameplay. A richer, deeper experience comes with “Red Dead Redemption 2,” which lets you make decisions on missions. The gaming experience with Mojang’s “Minecraft” is more of a creative one, appealing to those who like building things.
- At full 1080p resolution, “Grand Theft Auto 5” looks better than ever, giving you sharper detail on the characters and their surroundings. If you’ve played earlier versions of GTA, you’ll be surprised how far it’s come in recent years.
- For those who prefer a more retro gaming experience, “Minecraft” has maintained its original block design, setting it apart from many other games on the market today. Square Enix “Final Fantasy XIV” has also remained true to its original design, allowing players to pick up and start playing even if years have passed since the last time they played.
- Rockstar “Red Dead Redemption 2” is an open-world game, a genre that has become popular in recent years. You get to choose your own adventure as you make decisions throughout the game, enhancing the experience.
- Violence is important to some buyers, especially those who have kids. “Grand Theft Auto” has always been on the violent side, but “Grand Theft Auto 5″” takes it to the next level once you progress farther into the game. It’s a level of violence not previously seen in the series. It does have an ESRB Mature rating, recommended for players 17 and older only. Rockstar’s “Red Dead Redemption 2” is also rated Mature 17+ due to violence and sexual content, among other issues.
- If you’re looking for a more family-friendly option, Mojang “Minecraft” is safe for all ages, and “Final Fantasy XIV” is rated safe for ages 13 and up.
- One problem with online gaming is that it can be prone to technical issues. You’re relying on an internet connection, as well as the dependability of the server storing the game you’re playing. You may notice some dropped flames and visual glitches occasionally with “Grand Theft Auto 5,” and the rare graphical glitch can also affect gameplay with “Red Dead Redemption 2.” Although “Minecraft” is largely bug-free, you may find it lacks the polish of some of your favorite games. It’s better suited to those who like a retro gaming experience.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Kick-Start Every Morning With Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide