mirainbarrel Used Food Grade Upcycled DIY Kit Rain Barrel
Last updated date: May 26, 2020
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Rain Barrels and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Rain Barrel you should buy.
Editor's Note June 4, 2020:
Checkout The Best Rain Barrel for a detailed review of all the top rain barrels.
In our analysis of 47 expert reviews, the mirainbarrel mirainbarrel Used Food Grade Upcycled DIY Kit Rain Barrel placed 6th when we looked at the top 10 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
By utilizing our Terra Cotta Rain Barrel for rain water conservation you can help the yourself and the environment! Our rain barrels will reduce your water bill and help control moisture levels around the foundation of your home. Rainwater harvesting works to reduce the volume of water flowing into sewer treatment facility and helps reduce urban runoff and runoff pollution which can contaminate nearby bodies of water. Additionally, our barrels are previously used, food grade drums that would otherwise end up in a landfill. Rain water can serve as a backup source of water during times of drought or between rain falls. The "softer" rain water is also a healthier way to water the plants in your home and/or garden due to it's highly oxygenated, salt and fluoride free properties. Our barrels are made from food grade drums meaning they produce safe water for all of your fruits, vegetables or other consumable plants! Features: *Plastic mesh screen for catching leaves, sticks etc. *Easy on-and-off twist top lid *Brass overflow valve (not installed for personalized placement) which can attach a garden hose to divert water away from home, link to another barrel, or create/connect a soaker hose to run directly through a nearby flower beds. *Brass Spigot (installed) which is sealed with waterproof 100% silicone caulk. *Downspout adapter: 2"x3" white, Flex-elbow *Barrels range from 180-220 Liters. Dimensions range from 23-24" diameter and 35-41" tall. *Kit includes everything you need for set up EXCEPT TOOLS.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Rain Barrels
If you’re looking for another way to save money while also doing good for the environment, consider installing a rain barrel under your downspout. You’ll be able to collect the rainwater and use it to water your lawn, vegetable garden, flower beds and indoor potted plants. Of course, you’ll want to do your homework first to ensure you purchase a quality rain barrel that will last.
Determine what type of construction material would work best in your area. You can go with a traditional wooden barrel, which does require a little bit more maintenance than other models, but still does an excellent job collecting and storing rain. Another option is to go with a unit like the Good Ideas RW50-OAK Wizard Rain Barrel, which is made out of a UV-resistant polyethylene resin that won’t rust and doesn’t grow mold. It also doesn’t rot like wooden barrels.
Should you need your rain barrel to be more portable, you’ll want to go with a model like the VINGLI Collapsible Water Storage Tank Rain Barrel, which is constructed using a PVC frame and an anti-corrosion PVC mesh fabric. This barrel is lightweight and a cinch to move from point A to point B, as well as collapsible for easy storage when not in use.
Consider how much rain your area receives and the size of your yard when selecting a rain barrel. For example, the FCMP Outdoor Outdoor Catcher Rain Barrel comes with a linking kit for connecting it to additional rain barrels. That way you can double or even triple your water collection. Don’t forget to consider the capacity of the rain barrel as well. You can get a model that is capable of storing 40 gallons of rainwater, or one that can hold as much as 80 gallons.
Look at the barrel’s additional features next. The Enviro World EWC-15 Rain Barrel is equipped with a mosquito-proof stainless steel mesh screen to keep bugs and debris out of the barrel. It’s also got child locking screws to keep toddlers and pets from accidentally falling in the barrel. Other models come with garden hoses, hanging hose clips, overflow hoses and a spigot.
Review the design of the rain barrel last. Some models have a flat back so that you can install them just about anywhere on your property, including up against the side of your home. There are BPA-free roto-molded plastic barrels that are designed to resemble a large terracotta pot, as well as models that are made to look just like a classic whiskey barrel. You’ll even find some rain barrels offer a choice of finishes, including green, oak, gray, black and white.
The Rain Barrel Buying Guide
- If mosquitoes are a problem in your area, you can purchase mosquito dunks to toss in your rain barrel. This product is completely safe to use around pets and wildlife, including honey bees, as it is made up of an organic Bti larvicide that is only harmful to mosquito larvae.
- Not all rain barrels are sold with a base stand. You can either purchase one separately or build one out of wood if you’re handy. It’s always a good idea to use a base, as this prevents the rain barrel from tipping over.
- In addition to the base, you need to make sure the ground is level before you set your rain barrel on it. If your land is uneven, you can use paving stones or leveling spots to even the area out.
- Certain rain barrels require you have a screwdriver on hand when you want to clean them, as the barrels secure their lids with screws to prevent children and small pets from falling in accidentally.
- If you live in an area of the world that endures a cold season, you’ll need to protect your rain barrel by disconnecting it and moving it to a garage, shed or other storage location. Should you leave the barrel in place and the water inside of it freeze, your barrel could suffer damage.
- Keeping your rain barrel clean is also an important part of extending the life of your barrel. Scoop any leaves and debris out of the barrel and clean it out of the diverter and screen. You can disinfect the barrel by scrubbing it down with a vinegar and water solution. Make sure you completely rinse it clean before setting it back up to collect more rainwater.
- There are several factors that affect the overall price of a rain barrel. These include construction materials, capacity and the number of features. You’ll find the VINGLI Collapsible Water Storage Tank Rain Barrel to be one of the most affordable rain barrels on the market. The Enviro World EWC-15 Rain Barrel comes in at a more moderate price, while both the FCMP Outdoor Outdoor Catcher Rain Barrel and the Good Ideas RW50-OAK Wizard Rain Barrel have higher price tags.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide