Melissa & Doug Rainbow Mini Notes Scratch Art, 125-Sheets
Last updated date: August 16, 2021
Why Trust DWYM?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand review. Learn more.
We looked at the top Scratch Arts and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Scratch Art you should buy.
Update as August 16, 2021:
Checkout The Best Scratch Art for a detailed review of all the top scratch arts.
This scratch art comes with over 100 notes and a special stylus pen. The notes are covered with a black matte coating, which can be scratched off by the pen to reveal vibrant colors inside.
In our analysis of 19 expert reviews, the Melissa & Doug Rainbow Mini Notes Scratch Art, 125-Sheets placed 2nd when we looked at the top 7 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
Creative kids can jot down notes, etch doodles, and make their own exciting drawings with our mini Scratch Art notes. This Scratch Art box includes 125 rainbow mini notes, a wooden stylus, and a handy “desktop dispenser” box to keep it all organized. It’s simple to use, delivers amazing results, surprises kids with every scratch, and gives loads of options for play! Kids 4 and up can jot down notes, etch doodles, create cool illustrations and designs, surprise people, label things, make lists, add to arts and crafts projects, and express themselves freely. The reusable desktop dispenser box contains 125 Rainbow Mini Notes and a wooden stylus for scratching designs or notes. As kids scratch away the surface coating, they’ll be tickled to reveal the bright colors hiding beneath. These notes are also great for classrooms, goody bags, holiday treats, gift baskets, reminders, travel activities, random acts of kindness, sweet notes for others, and much more! They’ll help grow creativity, fine motor skills, writing skills, a sense of discovery, imagination, and connection. Get inspired and add some color to someone’s day with an expressive and creative rainbow mini note! The Scratch Art Box of Rainbow Mini Notes makes an ideal gift for kids ages 4 years and up. For more than 30 years, Melissa & Doug has created beautifully designed imagination- and creativity-sparking products that NBC News calls “the gold standard in early childhood play.” We design every toy to the highest quality standards, and to nurture minds and hearts. If your child is not inspired, give us a call and we’ll make it right. Our phone number is on every product! Brand Story By From the Manufacturer From classic wooden toys to crafts, pretend play, and games, Melissa & Doug products provide a launch pad to ignite imagination and a sense of wonder in all children so they can discover themselves, their passions, and their purpose. Since the company’s founding more than 25 years ago, Melissa & Doug has consistently delivered innovative products that inspire open-ended thinking, encourage kids to see new possibilities, and offer Countless Ways to Play. It’s part of a bigger vision to Take Back Childhood. Because by giving children a true childhood with the space and freedom to explore their world, we give them a path to realizing their full potential!
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Scratch Arts
Scratch paper art has emerged as a popular pastime in recent years, both for kids and adults. The concept starts with a canvas that has a black foreground and a hidden colorful background. Simply scratch off the top surface to see what lurks beneath, similar to scratching off the foreground on a lottery scratch-off ticket to reveal the prize beneath.
With scratch art, you scratch designs and patterns into the top layer to create an interesting effect. It’s fun for kids and can even be a stress-reliever for adults. You can make scratch paper yourself by coloring heavy-duty paper with bright oil pastels. You’ll then use black paint to paint over the entire canvas in a solid color. You’ll wait for the paint to dry, then use a sharp wooden tool to scratch off the top layer to reveal the colors of the bottom layer.
But you don’t have to make your own scratch paper. In fact, you can buy it ready to go. With pre-made scratch paper, you’ll find the beneath colors can be luminescent in color, almost giving your art projects a glowing effect. As much fun as making your own scratch paper can be, having it ready to go is great, too, especially if you’re traveling.
One thing to consider as you’re shopping is that scratch art can be a group activity. You’ll need a stylus for each child who will be participating. Most scratch art sets are sold with at least a few scratchers, but check to make sure you’ll have enough stylus pens to go around.
Speaking of accessories, take a look at the extras that come with your kit. Some sets ship with a sharpener so that you can keep your stylus in peak performance. You also may get stencils and stickers for even more fun.
The Scratch Art Buying Guide
- Scratch art is, first and foremost, all about having fun. But it also helps with honing your artistic skills, giving younger household members the space to make their projects their own.
- Most scratch paper sets will come with black matte foregrounds. But you’ll get a variety of background options, including a rainbow of colors, silvers and golds. By combining all the different color options, you may find you can encourage your young artist’s creativity.
- The size of the page comes into play, as well. Larger pages give you more room to work with, but smaller pads are easy to take on the go with you.
- Some scratch art sets come with stencils. This can come in handy for adding various objects to drawings. A stencil can also help a reluctant artist gain confidence.
- Over time, your stylus will dull. A sharpener specifically made for the stylus scratchers that come with art sets can come in handy. You can buy scratch art stylus sticks in bulk, though, so it may not be worth investing in a set specifically for the sharpener.
- Scratch art is a fun way to keep kids occupied while you’re traveling or dining out. The stylus ends can be sharp, though, so make sure you keep an eye on younger kids while they’re using them.
- Just as the pages vary in length, so do the stylus sticks included with the sets. Some are longer than others, which can make it easier for some kids to hold.
- Although scratch art paper comes in bundles, some are grouped in smaller sets. You’ll get, for instance, five bundles of 10 pages each rather than one set of 50. This comes in handy if you need a takeaway gift for a party or you just want to make children get separate sets to call their own.
- The background doesn’t just vary in color. Some are more luminescent, while others feature a standard finish. Pay close attention to the color pictured when you’re buying to make sure you’re getting the look you want.
Checkout Our Other Buying Guides
- The Robotic Vacuum Guide
- The Cordless Vacuums Guide
- The Electric Pressure Washer Guide
- The Gas Pressure Washer Guide
- The Air Mattress Guide
- The Pressure Washer Guide
- The Drone Guide
- The Electric Razor Guide
- The Convertible Car Seat Guide
- The Dyson Vacuum Guide
- The Infant Car Seat Guide
- The Dry Dog Food Guide
- The Carpet Cleaners Guide
- The Coffee Maker Guide
- The Air Fryer Guide