McCulloch MC1275 Heavy-Duty Steam Cleaner
Last updated date: September 10, 2020
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top Steam Cleaners and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Steam Cleaner you should buy.
Using heat and force, this steam cleaner can blast away some of the toughest dirt. An extra-long cord and 9-foot steam hose make it easy to use. It's also built to work on a variety of surfaces, including ceramic tile and appliances. We liked how many attachments come with this model, as well as its design. In our analysis of 73 expert reviews, the McCulloch McCulloch Heavy-Duty Steam Cleaner placed 5th when we looked at the top 12 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note September 10, 2020:
Checkout The Best Steam Cleaner for a detailed review of all the top steam cleaners.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
Providing 1500 watts of steam power, the MC1275 Heavy-Duty Steam Cleaner requires no chemicals and is easy to use. Ideal for cleaning and detailing cars, trucks, motorcycles, or boats, the cleaner removes grease and grime from engines, wheels, and chrome accessories. It also works well for removing stuck-on dirt from the BBQ grill, patio furniture, or garage. The "steam ready" light indicates when the unit is ready to use, and a steam-control switch provides control over the amount of steam coming from the unit. The cleaner features a storage compartment for many of its 18 attachments. Its 15-foot power cord, caster wheels, and included accessories offer convenient mobility and make it easy to clean nooks and crannies in hard-to-reach places. The steam cleaner has a 48-ounce water tank capacity, which allows for up to 45 minutes of use.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Steam Cleaners
Cleaning has always been a chore. Even if you have a sponge mop, you have to create a mixture of water and floor cleaner, soak the mop and then repeatedly wring it out and re-wet it. With a steam cleaner, you can skip all of that and simply fill up a bucket, wait for the steam cleaner to heat up and get started.
When looking for a steam cleaner, though, it’s important to keep your own flooring type in mind. Heat and water can be harmful to certain types of hardwood flooring, so you’ll need to find a steam cleaner that is safe for your own surfaces. Also, it’s important to determine in advance whether you’ll use your steam cleaner on surfaces like countertops, carpets and glass. You can even use some steam cleaners on clothing.
The biggest goal when looking for a steam cleaner, though, is to find one that will blast away even the most stubborn grime. In some instances, this will require accessories like brushes or scrub pads, provided with some steam cleaners. As effective as steam cleaners are for basic cleaning, you’ll need to know that if a surface has stubborn dirt or stains, you may have to use other methods to scrub it away.
For bacteria removal, the combination of high heat and steam usually does a great job. Steam cleaners are even used for bed bugs. Not all steam cleaners get hot enough for this type of work, though, so you’ll need to look specifically for that when you’re shopping. You may find that a steam cleaner that’s perfect for eliminating bed bugs, for instance, isn’t the best for more sensitive wood floors.
But one thing consumers love most about steam cleaners is the fact that you don’t need cleansers. This lets you reduce the chemicals you use in your home, but you also get to skip the floor cleaner section at the grocery store. Over time, this can help your household budget. You’ll also love the fact that when it’s time to clean the floors, you’ll simply need to add water instead of wasting time measuring and dispensing chemicals.
DWYM Fun Fact
Steam cleaners don’t automatically remove bacteria from surfaces. A certain amount of steam and heat is necessary, and it needs to be applied for a minimum number of seconds to be effective. You’ll need to check the manual that comes with your steam cleaner to determine exactly what that timeframe is, but it will usually be between eight and 20 seconds. If you want to kill bed bugs, the surface in question will need to reach a temperature of at least 160 degrees Fahrenheit to be effective. That temperature needs to stay below 180 degrees, though, to avoid damaging the surface you’re cleaning.
The Steam Cleaner Buying Guide
- With 43 pounds of pressure per square inch, the McCulloch Heavy-Duty Steam Cleaner combines heat and force to eliminate dirt from surfaces. Both the McCulloch Heavy-Duty Steam Cleaner and the Bissell Powerfresh Pet Steam cleaner pack plenty of power at 1500 watts. This makes these two great for intensive cleaning jobs, including areas with plenty of dirt build-up. However, even with top-of-the-line steam cleaners, you may find you occasionally need to go over an area with a cloth or scrub brush.
- Steam production is also a factor in how efficient a steam cleaner is. Some models promise to generate 30 percent more steam than other cleaners. However, if the heater isn’t as powerful as other models, you may find the pressure to be lower than what you get with more powerful steamers.
- The build of steam cleaners can make it tough to get corners and tight spaces. The Bissell Powerfresh Pet Steam cleaner is designed for maneuverability, making it perfect for sliding into those hard-to-reach spaces. At the same time, it head is big enough to cover a large area at once.
- Some cleaners are easier to maneuver than others. The Bissell Powerfresh Pet Steam cleaner weighs only 6.2 pounds and has a head that swivels easily. This makes it easier to use than heavier cleaners.
- Cord length is also a consideration since you won’t want to keep searching for outlets while you’re cleaning. The McCulloch Heavy-Duty Steam Cleaner has an extra-long cord, totaling 15.7 feet, as well as a 9-foot steam hose.
- The Bissell Powerfresh Pet Steam cleaner also lets you handle different types of jobs at the press of a button, thanks to multiple cleaning modes.
- Floor types are an important consideration when choosing a steam cleaner. The McCulloch Heavy-Duty Steam Cleaner can handle ceramic tile, grout, granite, sealed wood flooring, laminate, appliances, grills, autos and more. The Bissell Powerfresh Pet Steam cleaner is safe for all sealed surfaces, including hardwood, ceramic and tile, granite and marble and linoleum.
- If you have hardwood flooring, you may want to look into the Light N’ Easy Floor Steamer Cleaner, which has adjustable settings to help you use it safely on certain hardwood floors.
- The Light N’ Easy Floor Steamer Cleaner has accessories that allow it to perform functions outside of floor cleaning. You’ll be able to use it on your floors, counters and carpets, as well as on glass and garments. Yes, you can use this steamer to get the wrinkles out of your favorite pants and shirts.
- Steam cleaners are surprisingly affordable, so no matter which one you choose, you’re sure to find one that matches your budget.