Master Class Art Premium Spiral Hardcover Sketchbook
Last updated date: October 15, 2019
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top Sketch Books and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Sketch Book you should buy.
In our analysis of 71 expert reviews, the Master Class Art Master Class Art Premium Spiral Hardcover Sketchbook placed 10th when we looked at the top 10 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note November 11, 2019:
Checkout The Best Sketch Book for a detailed review of all the top sketch books.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
Free your artistic passion. When it comes to drawing supplies, nothing is more important than the perfect 5.5x8 sketchbook. So go ahead, let your imagination run wild. All 100 sheets of acid-free 60 pound fine textured bright paper in this premium spiral bound sketchbook can take anything the passionate artist throws at it: bleeding, rough erasing, shading and more. Each individually perforated page is smudge-resistant and erasable. So whether you’re sketching, coloring, scrapbooking or figure drawing, this paper sketchbook is ready for your next creation. Suitable for any dry media including colored pencils, markers, pens, charcoal, graphite, pastels and crayons, you can use it as a media sketchbook, fashion sketchbook, even as one of a series of manga drawing books. When inspiration strikes, be ready. You never know when or where your next inspiration will arrive. But with a solid hard cover and durable twin loop metal spiral binding, you can take this sketching pad everywhere: outdoors, to the local art gallery, even on vacation. The cover works as a sturdy drawing surface and the spiral binding allows the pad to lay flat, so you’ll never need a table. After all, you can’t create a masterpiece with a flimsy cover. By artists, for artists. we craft all our sketchbooks to the highest standards, with premium quality paper and a distinctive black embossed leatherette cover with double wire binding. We also offer a no hassle 100% money back guarantee if you’re not completely satisfied (although we’re pretty sure you will be). And we’re not just artists. Masterclass Art Supply Co. is veteran-owned and operated and a proud supporter of The Wounded Warrior Project. Your next creation is waiting. Order your spiral sketchbook
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Sketch Books
You never know when your next creative idea will strike, so it’s a good idea to have a sketch pad and drawing utensils handy. Not all sketch pads are created equal, however. So before you purchase one, you’ll want to take into consideration a few important features.
First, determine whether the company producing the sketch pad takes measures to protect the environment. For example, the makers of the Pentalic Sketch Book only use paper created from certified sustainable forests. They prominently display a sticker with this information right on the front cover of the pad.
Next, decide whether you’d like the sketch pad to have a soft or hard cover. Soft covers tend to come with a spiral binding, which allows you to quickly flip through the pages. But, they can also be susceptible to damage and tearing when placed in a bookbag. Hard covers protect the pages better, and if you opt for a leather cover, you’ll also enjoy the anti-slip surface.
Consider the shape of the sketch book pages. Traditional pads are rectangular in shape, but now artists have the option of buying square-shaped sketch pads, like the illo Sketchbook Premium 122lb Hardcover Notebook. The benefit to this shape is that it’s better for sharing pictures of the sketches on social media.
The size of your sketchbook is also important. “Is it something you plan to carry with you and use on the go? If so, think about where it needs to fit,” says art educator Amy Markham. Her podcast “Starling” helps artists develop their creative process. “Will you carry it in a backpack, a purse or a pocket? Some people prefer to have a smaller sketchbook to carry around and a larger one for planning out ideas when they are at home.”
Finally, you’ll need to think about what sort of paper is best suited to your needs. “If you are mainly using your book for pencil sketches and the occasional pen, then standard sketchbook paper will work. If you are using markers, inks or some light watercolors, opt for a mixed media paper,” says Markham. “Sketch paper will not absorb wet media. If you know you are going to be painting often in your sketchbook, go for a watercolor paper sketchbook.”
Don’t forget to check the thickness, weight and absorbency of the pages as well. Thinner pages will leave press-through impressions on the pages behind them.
DYWM Fun Fact
The Oxford dictionary refers to a sketch as “a rough or unfinished drawing.” Sketches were originally designed to give an artist a way to put their ideas down on paper. People sometimes refer to this as doodling. Later, the sketches would be used as a starting point to create the final masterpiece that the artist had in mind.
Today, however, creative minds often use sketch pads to create work of arts and not just rough drafts. The most commonly used medium for drawing in a sketch pad is the pencil. Did you know that just one lead pencil can create a straight line that is an astounding 35 miles long?
The Sketch Book Buying Guide
- Check to see if the company has a money-back guarantee policy. This isn’t necessary, but it does add a layer of protection in case the sketch pad doesn’t live up to your expectations.
- You can frame your favorite sketches and give them away as gifts or use them to decorate your home. If the sketch pad page is not the same size as a traditional frame, you can take it to a craft store and have a custom frame made.
- Sketching just a few minutes every day is a great way to improve your speed and accuracy.
- You don’t have to confine yourself to using the sketch pad for drawings only. You can also write to-do lists in them, create calendars or documents your observations when bird watching. Another option is to use the pad as a visual journal, combining your written thoughts with important images that remind you about the day. If you travel, for example, you may wish to draw the Eiffel Tower and then write about the sites and sounds you experienced from the observation deck.
- Keep your sketchbook away from any liquids. Accidental spills can ruin the pad’s pages.
- When it comes time to compare sketch pad prices, you need to consider whether the book has a hard or soft cover. Sketch pads with a hard cover, like the illo Sketchbook Premium 122lb Hardcover Notebook and the Pentalic Sketch Book, command a higher price than those with soft covers, like the Strathmore 400 Series Sketch Pad. The Arteza Sketch Book, Pack of 3 contains multiple pads, so you’ll need to divide the number of pads by the total cost to determine the price per sketchbook.