LSENG Waterproof Two Way Radio
Last updated date: April 17, 2019
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top 1 Two Way Radios and dug through the reviews from 2 of the most popular review sites including BestReviews, Water. Sky. Land. and more. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Two Way Radio you should buy.
In our analysis of 59 expert reviews, the LSENG LSENG Waterproof Two Way Radio placed 9th when we looked at the top 9 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note May 20, 2019:
Checkout The Best Two Way Radio for a detailed review of all the top two way radios.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
This radio is helpful for the following circumstances: security guard, supermarket connection, construction area indication, outdoor travel. What’s the cover range ? Cover about 3 miles outdoor, about 20 floors in buildings. Why you choose LSENG T-518? We are the manufacturer of the "LSENG",we can offer high-quality product for you and the product QC 100% before shipping. Please kindly check the 20 Features blow for why you choose LSENG T-518! Features: High/low power selective. FCC and CE approval. ANI and PTT-ID. VOX functionFrequency Range: UHF 400-480MHz Memory Channel: 16 CTCSS/DCS function Low battery alarm. Scanning. Single call, Group call. Support PC software programmable/ Chinese and English voice prompt. Priority scan. Wide/narrow bandwidth selective. Emergency alarm, IP54 rainproof, Dust proof, Shockproof. Busy channel lock. Transmitter time-out timer(TOT). Side key assignment. 0-9 grades squelch level setting. Power saving. Specification: Model: T-518 Antenna Impedance: 50oh Battery type: Li-ion battery,1200mAh. Rated Voltage: DC 7.4V. Output power: 5W. Working temperature: -30~+60°C . Dual band or Single band: Single band. Dual frequency or Single frequency: Single frequency. This Listing Including:2× LSENG T518 two way radio body. 2× Antenna 2× Li-ion battery pack 2× Charger 2× Belt clip 2× Hand Strip. 2× English User's manual. Easy to program:Please contact us, we will provide the Program Software, Drive of USB Software, Video of Setting step for free. Warranty: Radio body Provides 12 Months/ Battery and charger 6 months warranty.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Two Way Radios
As cellphones have become more popular, consumers have forgotten about the value of a two-way radio. Designed for short-range communication between people, these devices have been around for decades. A two-way radio is ideal for groups of people who want to be able to quickly get in touch with each other. Staff at a campground, for instance, or employees at an events venue can use two-way radios to contact each other and relay messages.
Before you start shopping for a two-way radio, it’s important to know just how many you need. Chances are, you won’t be purchasing just one, which is why you’ll find they usually aren’t sold that way. You can find them in sets as small as two, with an included charging base that keeps all your radios charged when not in use.
One of the first things you’ll notice is that radios differ in the number of channels they offer. This is important because you’ll need your own dedicated channel on which to talk. If you choose a two-way radio with only four channels, you may find that you can’t get the reception you need. More channels will offer a larger range of options.
When it comes to reception, not all two-way radios are equal. Some advertise a wider range than others, but that doesn’t always take into account whether you’re in an open area or dealing with obstructions like buildings or mountains. Many two-way radios offer a reception radius of about five miles, though, which is usually sufficient for what they’re designed to do.
If you plan to use your radio primarily outdoors, look for one that can withstand the elements. Some two-way radios are weather-resistant, while others are weatherproof. Some also are more rugged than others, which is something to consider if you plan to use it on hiking or camping trips.
DYWM Fun Fact
You may have heard two-way radios called “Walkie Talkies,” which was actually the original term for the devices. The first Walkie Talkies were released in 1940 by Gavin Manufacturing, which later became Motorola. These were designed for troops in World War 2 and were carried as a backpack.
But around the same time, Handie-Talkies were invented, and these smaller units were similar in design to what we know today as two-way radios. Eventually, Motorola trademarked the units as HT, which is still included in model numbers for Motorola two-way radios today. Following the war, Walkie Talkies became more of a consumer product, gradually evolving to the devices we are now familiar with.
The Two Way Radio Buying Guide
- Typically, you’ll find two-way radios come with just a few channels. While this will normally suffice, access to more channels means many more options for when you can’t get crisp, clear reception on one. The Midland GMRS Two-Way Radio offers 50 General Mobile Radio Service channels, as well as 142 privacy codes. These privacy codes let you block out other conversations, expanding your channel options even farther. The Motorola Talkabout T460 Two-Way Radio offers 22 channels and 121 privacy codes. With Ansoko Long Range Two Way Radios and Arcshell Rechargeable Long Range Two-Way Radios, you get 16 channels.
- No matter how many channels your radio provides, though, reception can vary from one radio to another. The Midland GMRS Two-Way Radio promises a range of up to 36 miles, but you’ll find that unless you’re in an open area, you’ll have issues. In mountainous or heavily forested areas, you’ll only get a 5-mile range. But you’ll find reception drops similarly with other two-way radios, and they only promise up to a 5-mile radius.
- With Arcshell Rechargeable Long Range Two-Way Radios, it’s important to note that some EMS services will use the same frequency range as the radios, so you may find that you have to do some calibration work to get around it.
- The Midland GMRS Two-Way Radio has a bonus feature: an SOS siren that will send out an alert if you find yourself in an emergency situation.
- If you plan to use your two-way radios outdoors, look for a radio that offers weatherproofing features. The Midland GMRS Two-Way Radio offers JIS4 waterproofing, which provides protection against light rain or splashing water. The Motorola Talkabout T460 Two-Way Radio is IP54 weatherproof, keeping it safe from rain, snow or dust.
- When pricing two-way radios, consider how many you’re getting. The Arcshell Rechargeable Long Range Two-Way Radios is a set of two and retails for less than $50, making them among the most affordable. You’ll also get a pair of radios with the Midland GMRS Two-Way Radio and Ansoko Long Range Two Way Radios, with each retailing for less than $100. The Motorola Talkabout T460 Two-Way Radio set retails for more than $300, but it’s a set of eight radios. So if you’re buying for a group, that set may actually provide cost savings.
- Two-way radios also differ in their communication features. The Midland GMRS Two-Way Radio has a feature called “whisper,” which lets you talk in a hushed tone while still getting through to the other end. It also includes Direct Call, which lets you reach out to one specific person when using your radios in a group.
- Weight matters when you’re carrying something around all day, especially if you’re hiking. The Midland GMRS Two-Way Radio weighs only 4.8 ounces, while the Ansoko Long Range Two Way Radios is 5.5 ounces. Arcshell Rechargeable Long Range Two-Way Radios and Motorola Talkabout T460 Two-Way Radio are slightly heavier, at 6.3 ounces and 6.9 ounces, respectively.
- Two-way radios run on batteries, but they differ from the type that is rechargeable to those that require regular batteries. The Midland GMRS Two-Way Radio offers two options: Run on a rechargeable battery that goes into the charging dock or use four AA batteries. That lets you carry AA batteries along with you as a backup in case your rechargeable batteries die while on the go. The Motorola Talkabout T460 Two-Way Radio has a handy feature that lets you recharge through a USB port, which means you can leave your charging base at home while traveling.
- It can take a while to get the hang of a new two-way radio. Ansoko Long Range Two Way Radios make it easy to get started, building in a programmable channel feature that allows you to quickly start a session without having to stop to key in frequencies. As many features as it has, the Midland GMRS Two-Way Radio can be a bit more difficult to learn.