Logitech Privacy Cover
Last updated date: May 8, 2020
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top Webcam Privacy Covers and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Webcam Privacy Cover you should buy.
Keep your webcam protected when not in use using this privacy cover. This cover is easy to install and use. Simply slide the cover to the left or right to reveal the viewfinder. Continuing sliding the cover and it will pop right off. In our analysis of 25 expert reviews, the Logitech Logitech Privacy Cover placed 7th when we looked at the top 11 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note May 8, 2020:
Checkout The Best Webcam Privacy Cover for a detailed review of all the top webcam privacy covers.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
Logitech Privacy Cover for c930e, c920, and c922x
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Webcam Privacy Covers
Did you know that a hacker can gain access to your webcam in under 60 seconds? It’s true, but there are some things you can do to protect yourself, such as covering the webcam up when not in use. Some computer users simply place a sticker over their webcam, however, the adhesive leaves behind a film that makes the camera unusable. A webcam privacy cover protects the camera, while preventing hackers from spying on you when the camera isn’t in use.
As you shop for a webcam privacy cover, you’ll want to keep in mind that covers that do not have an adhesive backing are typically designed for use with specific camera models. You’ll need to read the product’s compatibility guide before buying to ensure the cover will fit over your webcam.
No matter which type of webcam privacy cover you select, you want to make sure it’s durable and designed to last. For example, the CloudValley Webcam Cover Slider, 3-Pack is constructed from a high-quality aluminum alloy that is able to withstand daily wear and tear. Other models are made from high-grade plastics.
If you plan on using the webcam privacy cover on a laptop or notebook, you’ll want it to be thin. This way, the device won’t interfere with closing the lid when you want to safely set it aside. The EYSOFT Webcam Cover, 5-Pack has one of the thinnest covers, which measures just 0.022 inches thick. It’s also easy to use. Consumers simply swipe the circle left to cover up the viewfinder or right to reveal it.
Opt for a webcam cover that has a strong adhesive backing, otherwise you risk it falling off after only a few uses. The COOLOO Webcam Cover, 6-Pack uses a nano gel that not only holds the device in place for the long haul, but also leaves behind no residue when removed.
When purchasing a webcam privacy cover multi-pack, you want to look for something like the Trobing Webcam Cover, 5-Pack, as it is universal and fits most devices. That means you can attach one to your smartphone, one to your tablet, one to your laptop and one to your desktop without having to purchase four different types of covers.
DWYM Fun Fact
The development of the first webcam has a funny story behind it. Researchers at the esteemed Cambridge University needed a way to keep an eye on the coffee pot in one of the rooms within their science department. In 1991, the team was able to wire a digital camera to a computer and connect it with specialized software to accomplish their goal of watching the coffee pot.
It wasn’t until 1993 when the team improved upon this camera by connecting it directly to the Internet that the first official webcam was created. A year later a company called Connectix sold the first webcam to consumers. They called it the QuickCam.
The Webcam Privacy Cover Buying Guide
- To install a webcam privacy cover that has an adhesive backing, you must first clean the surface of the device you want the cover to go on. You can do this with a lint-free cloth. Next, you’ll need to peel away the paper backing to reveal the adhesive. Place the cover over the webcam so that the hole surrounds the viewfinder. Press and hold the privacy cover in place for approximately 15 seconds to ensure a good seal is created. The webcam cover is now ready to use.
- If your webcam cover becomes dusty, you can wipe it clean using a moist cotton swab. Some units can be taken apart into two pieces, cleaned with a little dish soap and water and reinstalled once dry.
- In addition to installing a webcam privacy cover, there are a few other steps you’ll want to take to protect yourself from hackers. Start off by enabling your firewall and updating your antivirus software to the latest version. Next, install the latest software and operating system updates. Finally, delete any emails that were not sent by a trusted source and never click on any suspicious links.
- Check whether or not the company backs their products with a guarantee. Some provide a 12-month guarantee against any problems or defects, while others simply offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee without a specific length of time attached.
- To determine which set of webcam privacy covers is the best value, you need to divide the product’s total cost by the number of webcam covers included in the set. The COOLOO Webcam Cover, 6-Pack and the Trobing Webcam Cover, 5-Pack are among the most affordable, although the EYSOFT Webcam Cover, 5-Pack isn’t far behind. The CloudValley Webcam Cover Slider, 3-Pack commands the highest price, possibly because it is the company’s new and improved version.