Levels Nutrition 100% Grass Fed Whey Protein
Last updated date: August 5, 2019
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top Whey Protein Concentrates and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Whey Protein Concentrate you should buy.
In our analysis of 118 expert reviews, the Levels Nutriton Levels Nutrition 100% Grass Fed Whey Protein placed 10th when we looked at the top 10 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note September 11, 2019:
Checkout The Best Whey Protein Concentrate for a detailed review of all the top whey protein concentrates.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
PERFORMANCE NUTRITION: Each scoop of our Unflavored Whey has 25g Protein, 5.9g BCAAs (branched-chain amino acids), and no added sugars. Customers choose Levels for a clean way to build lean muscle, enhance fitness, lose weight and improve their overall health. BEYOND ORGANIC: Our 100% grass-fed whey protein comes from pasture raised dairy cows that eat a nutrient rich, diverse diet of grasses, which creates a higher concentration of vitamins, minerals, and other beneficial nutrients. PURE PROVISIONS: Levels Whey Protein is made in the U.S.A. and goes through rigorous testing to meet the highest quality standards. Our paleo and keto friendly whey is gluten free, soy free, antibiotic free, rGBH/rBST hormone free, and contains no artificial flavors, no so-called "natural flavors”, no artificial sweeteners and no GMOs. SUPERIOR STANDARDS: Levels Whey Protein is undenatured and undergoes cold process micro-filtration to protect bioactivity and naturally occurring growth factors. Our whey is never bleached and contains no fillers. MIXES INSTANTLY: Our whey protein is blended with less than 1% non-gmo sunflower lecithin for added nutrition and so your protein will mix instantly. Try it in a shake, smoothie bowl, oatmeal, cookies, pancakes or your own homemade bars.
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Whey Protein Concentrates
Protein is important to life. Each of the body’s cells contains protein, and you may not be consuming enough of this important substance from your daily meals. When it comes to men, teenage boys need 52 grams of protein and adult males 56 grams. Women need slightly less. Both teenagers and adult females should be consuming around 46 grams of protein per day.
If you find that you aren’t getting the recommended dose of protein through your diet, you can add a whey protein supplement to your daily regimen. While there are other protein sources, whey is preferable, thanks to its ability to digest quickly while being easy on the stomach.
When researching whey protein concentrate, first look to see that the product contains 100% whey with most of the whey coming from whey isolates. There are three types of whey (isolates, concentrates and hydrolysates), and the isolates contain the most protein. Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Powder has a nice blend with the majority of the protein coming from the isolates.
Check that the ingredients don’t interfere with your diet or known allergies. For example, NAKED 100% Grass Fed Whey Protein Powder is best for those who need a gluten-free, GMO-free, soy-free and artificial ingredient-free formula. It’s also cold-processed, which eliminates contamination from chemicals and toxins that some individuals may have a negative reaction to.
Next, if you’re an athlete, bodybuilder or exercise enthusiast, you’ll need to look at the amount of branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs) in the formula, as these are important for building muscle. An amount of 5.5 grams or higher, found in brands like Dymatize ISO 100 Whey Protein Powder, is what you want to shoot for. If the product label lists the amino acids separately, you’ll need to add them all up to get the total.
Lastly, you’ll want to check for your favorite flavor (or taste test a few until you find your favorite). Some brands only offer two or three flavor profiles, while others have as many as 20. You may wish to use one flavor for shakes and smoothies and another flavor for baking.
DYWM Fun Fact
- While protein has always been in existence, it wasn’t named until 1838. It comes from the Greek work proteios, which means “first.” This macronutrient has many health benefits, including increasing muscle mass, maintaining bone mass, boosting metabolism, lowering blood pressure and assisting the body in repairing itself after an injury.
- The human body actually houses over 2 million proteins. One of those proteins is whey protein, which comes from cow’s milk. This type of protein has grown in popularity over the years and is even projected to reach $12.4 billion in sales by 2021. One reason may be that whey protein is much easier to digest than other milk proteins, such as casein. Of course, individuals who suffer from dairy allergies would need to avoid all protein supplements that come from animal milk.
- Whey protein is naturally available in the following foods: ricotta cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, cream and butter. If you don’t eat these foods very often, utilizing whey protein powder is a good choice. Although you can consume this protein any time of the day, it is often consumed before or after a workout, thanks to its ability to aid the body in muscle recovery.
The Whey Protein Concentrate Buying Guide
- Always check for artificial ingredients and sugar content before deciding on a whey protein concentrate. This is especially important if you have a condition like diabetes or are allergic to dyes. Some brands sneak these not-so-beneficial ingredients into their formulas, so it’s always best to read the product label thoroughly.
- Since whey protein concentrate is food, it does have an expiration date. There are a few things you can do to keep the product fresh for a long period of time. First, don’t transfer the powder into a new container. The original packaging is designed to keep moisture out. Second, place the protein powder in a location that is both cool and dry. In addition to water, heat can affect the supplement in a negative way.
- Keep the whey protein powder out of the reach of children. Consuming too much of it at once can be harmful. Most of these supplements are not meant to be used by anyone under the age of 18.
- Clumps within the powder and unpleasant odors are two signs that your whey protein concentrate has gone bad. This is true whether the product has reached its expiration date or not. If this happens, throw the container away and purchase a new one.
- Get your family physician’s approval before adding any type of supplement to your diet, including whey protein concentrate. You want to make sure the formula you choose doesn’t interact with any of your medications. For example, whey protein stops the absorption of Levodopa, Formax and Tetracycline antibiotics.
- Make sure the formula you use has been tested for banned substances. This ensures the product doesn’t contain any ingredients that would cause you to have a failed urine test for work or a competitive sports program.
- You don’t just have to use the whey protein powder to make shakes and smoothies. You can also use them in food recipes, such as peanut butter cups, blueberry muffins and fudge brownies. If you prefer, you can also sprinkle the powder on top of your cereal, oatmeal or ice cream. It even mixes well with a small container of yogurt or an applesauce cup.
- When considering the price of whey protein concentrate, you need to look at how many servings you get from the product. Then, you’ll need to divide the number of servings by the purchase price to see who has the most affordable protein powder. You’ll get 73 servings from the Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Powder, 71 from the Dymatize ISO 100 Whey Protein Powder and 76 in the NAKED 100% Grass Fed Whey Protein Powder.