Le Creuset Stoneware Garlic Keeper
Last updated date: January 30, 2020
Why Trust The DWYM Score?
DWYM is your trusted product review source. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. We then create one easy-to-understand score. Learn more.
We looked at the top Garlic Keepers and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Garlic Keeper you should buy.
The Le Creuset Stoneware Garlic Keeper is one of the few garlic keepers that can actually be washed in the dishwasher. It also has a secure-fitting lid with knob for easily accessing a few cloves when you need them. We love that it's even safe to use in a microwave, oven, grill or freezer. In our analysis of 17 expert reviews, the Le Creuset Le Creuset Stoneware Garlic Keeper placed 3rd when we looked at the top 5 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
Editor's Note January 30, 2020:
Checkout The Best Garlic Keeper for a detailed review of all the top garlic keepers.
Expert Summarized Score
User Summarized Score
Our Favorite Video Reviews
What experts liked
What experts didn't like
From The Manufacturer
Designed to provide an ideal environment for storing garlic heads and cloves, this stoneware garlic keeper by Le Creuset makes an attractive and useful addition to any kitchen collection. The small jar, which measures approximately 4-2/7 by 4-2/7 by 4-4/5 inches, holds three to four garlic bulbs at a time and features small vents around the base to keep air inside the jar dry. It also provides a secure-fitting lid with an easy-grip knob that prevents light from entering and odors from escaping. Other highlights include sleek curves, Le Creuset's signature concentric rings on the body and lid, the Le Creuset name in raised letters, and an embossed garlic icon for an added touch of charm. Le Creuset's line of stoneware comes with a hard-wearing, impermeable finish fired at temperatures as high as 2192 degrees F. With a porosity level of less than 1 percent, it blocks moisture absorption, which can lead to cracking, crazing, and rippling along the interior. Its non-porous construction also resists odors, scratching, and staining for hygienic use and optimal performance. Even more, its high-quality enamel protects against metal marks and other damage, which means it's safe to use with knives. Best of all, the glaze on the exterior makes the stoneware items fun to mix and match with other coordinating Le Creuset pieces (sold separately), while a neutral-colored glaze on the inside offers an optimal palette for food presentation. And thanks to an unmatched thermal resistance from -65 degrees F to 500 degrees F, Le Creuset stoneware moves effortlessly from the microwave or oven (or under the broiler) to the table for serving to the refrigerator or freezer for storing leftovers. When finished, it cleans up easily by hand or in the dishwasher. Brand Story By Le Creuset
Overall Product Rankings
An Overview On Garlic Keepers
To prevent garlic from becoming moldy or going bad before you have a chance to use it, you need to properly store it. You can do this with a garlic keeper. As you browse the available models, keep the following information in mind.
Garlic keepers are made from a few different types of materials, such as terra cotta, ceramic and high-fired stoneware. While all of these construction materials work well if you simply need to store your garlic, you’ll need a high-fired stoneware keeper, like the Le Creuset Stoneware Garlic Keeper, if you want to place the keeper on an oven or in a freezer.
You’ll also need the construction materials to be nonporous. This type of material is stain and odor resistant and less likely to crack or chip.
Look for garlic keepers that promote proper airflow. The Fox Run Ceramic Garlic Keeper has nice size ventilation holes that keep garlic cool, dry and fresh. Remember, moisture is an enemy of garlic.
Check that the garlic keeper can stop light from reaching the garlic. For example, the Mud Pie Ceramic Garlic Storage Keeper has a removable wooden lid that keeps garlic in the dark, giving it a longer shelf life.
Finally, you’ll want to take design into account when choosing the best garlic keeper. The Norpro Stoneware Garlic Keeper is not only attractive, but it also complements just about any kitchen theme.
DYWM Fun Fact
We all know garlic makes a variety of dishes more flavorful, but you may not be aware of just how many health benefits the widely-used herb offers. For example, did you know garlic contains a host of important nutrients, including folate, niacin, vitamin C, calcium, magnesium, iron and phosphorous? Here are a few more health benefits associated with garlic:
- Garlic helps lower high blood pressure.
- Garlic relieves cold symptoms thanks to its antibacterial and antiviral properties.
- Garlic aids in digestion and reduces gas.
- Garlic reduces blood sugar levels when eaten in raw form.
- Garlic supports weight loss efforts by boosting your metabolism.
The Garlic Keeper Buying Guide
- Always check the garlic keeper’s cleaning instructions. Several models are not dishwasher-safe and must be cleaned by hand.
- You’ll get the highest concentration of active ingredients in fresh garlic, so look for bulbs that are plump with tight skin.
- Garlic still in the bulb will last as long as 8 weeks when properly stored at room temperature.
- Never store a whole garlic bulb in your refrigerator, as this environment allows mold to grow. You can, however, place chopped garlic in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a few days. This is helpful if you have a little leftover garlic that you can toss on a salad the next day.
- Use apples or raw mint leaves to help reduce garlic breath after eating meals that have been flavored with the herb.
- Garlic keepers vary greatly in price for several reasons. The Fox Run Ceramic Garlic Keeper and the Mud Pie Ceramic Garlic Storage Keeper are basic in design and on the lower end of the price range. You’ll find the Norpro Stoneware Garlic Keeper in the middle, thanks to its more intricate design and glossy finish. The Le Creuset Stoneware Garlic Keeper commands the highest price because it can be used in all temperatures, including in an oven or freezer.