Kichwit Stainless Steel Compact Jar Opener
Last updated: June 1, 2023
Our Review Process
Don't Waste Your Money is focused on helping you make the best purchasing decision. Our team of experts spends hundreds of hours analyzing, testing, and researching products so you don't have to. Learn more.
We looked at the top Jar Openers and dug through the reviews from some of the most popular review sites. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Jar Opener you should buy.
In this set, you'll get both a jar opener and a bottle opener, the latter of which can be kept on your keychain. The bottle opener is compact, though it can tackle a variety of lid sizes, from 3/8-inch glass bottle lids to 4-inch jar lids. You slide the handle along the top of the lid until the jaws are gripping both sides, then twist counterclockwise.
In our analysis, the Kichwit Stainless Steel Compact Jar Opener placed 6th when we looked at the top 10 products in the category. For the full ranking, see below.
From The Manufacturer
Easy to Use: Simply slide the white handle along the beam until the jaws touch both sides of the lid, squeeze the handle and turn it anticlockwise while holding the jar. Easily open stubborn jar lids with a simple twist! Wide Range of Sizes: Maximum size is 4” and minimum is 3/8”. This allows you to open a wide range of jars and bottles. It works great for most jam and jelly jars, and also can be adjusted to fit a smaller size such as coke bottles. Sturdy and Durable: Featuring all metal construction, it’s way much sturdier and more durable than other jar openers on the market because it won’t break or become deformed like those plastic ones after frequent use. Compact Kitchen Tool: This jar opener is easy to store and takes up small space in your kitchen drawer. You can also hang it on a hook since there’s a hanging hole on one side of the jar opener. Definitely a must-have kitchen tool! Bottle Opener Keychain Included: It comes with a free bonus bottle opener keychain which is cute and useful. The keychain bottle opener is made from aluminium alloy. Easy to bring it anywhere you go since it’s small and lightweight.
Jar Opener Rankings
Opening jars can be tough. To ensure consumer safety, manufacturers create an airtight seal on jarred and bottled products, which employs the use of vacuum pressure inside the jar. This extra pressure means that many people have a tough time removing lids on the food items found in their pantries.
Some people swear by certain hacks for removing an airtight jar lid, including simply poking a hole in the top with a sharp knife. One hole can be enough to release that pressure and making the lid reasonably easy to remove. But for condiments and other items you’ll be using again, you won’t want a hole in the lid. Other tricks can be time-consuming, such as using a hairdryer or running the jar under hot water.
Fortunately, there are handy kitchen gadgets that can tackle those tough-to-open jars when you need them. Some people use rubber gloves or nonslip rubber pads specifically designed for opening a jar. Rubber gives you that grip you need to maneuver the lid. As long as you have the strength to wrench the lid off, this can be an easy solution.
But there’s an even easier way. A variety of tools are now available to provide that grip — with little muscle required from you. These devices come in a variety of sizes and designs, so it’s important to consider the storage space you have available before buying.
For those with arthritis or mobility issues, an automatic jar opener can do all the work. Simply put in place, press a button and wait for the lid to be removed. Most jar openers let you remove the lid with a simple counterclockwise twist, but automatic jar openers eliminate the need to even put that work in.
Some jar openers come with bonus bottle openers. These might even be keychain-attachable. There are also openers designed to tackle a wide range of products, from nail polish bottles to oversized condiment jars.
- Most U.S. products are designed to be loosened in a counterclockwise motion. This makes it easy to immediately know which way to turn if an item isn’t budging at all. A fun way to remember this is the classic “righty tighty, lefty loosey.” Right to tighten, left to loosen.
- Storage is an important consideration with a jar opener. A smaller one that can tuck into a drawer will be useful, but there are also openers that install underneath a cabinet to keep them accessible but out of the way.
- Look at the durability of any jar opener you’re considering. Stainless steel will resist rust even when regularly exposed to moisture, but durable plastic can be easier to clean.
- If you have children in the house who will regularly need help opening jars, an opener with extra safety features can be a better option.
- Look at the dimensions of the lids your opener will support. Some are limited in how small and how large they can go.
- Some jar openers can’t help with the plastic lids found on condiment jars today. Those can be difficult to open, as well.
- Some jar openers have an ergonomic design that reduces strain as you twist. This will help make the removal process more comfortable.
- If you like to toss your jar opener into the dishwasher as needed, make sure the opener you choose is dishwasher-safe.
- Some jar openers come in a variety of color options and interesting designs to serve as a fun addition to your kitchen.
- Keep in mind that you’ll typically be using your jar openers when you hands aren’t thoroughly dry, and the jar itself can build up condensation. You’ll need a jar opener that can tackle the job even with moisture involved.
- If you have mobility issues, make sure you choose a lightweight jar opener so it’s as easy to use as possible.